31 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2008 12:19 PM by Newsgroup_User

Form Results - Changing Email Subject

Datanomics Level 1
      I'm using Dreamweaver v8.0.

I created a form, set it to email the results. Everything is smooth as silk EXCEPT the subject line of the email. It's "Form posted from Windows Internet Explorer." That just doesn't fly.

The code is as follows:
      <form id="reservation" name="reservation" method="post" action="mailto:xyz@xyz.com" enctype="text/plain">

I changed it to <form id="reservation" name="reservation" method="post" action="mailto:xyz@xyz.com?subject:test" enctype="text/plain"> but that didn't work.

I've searched around... All postings / sites seem to say that using the syntax as above it SHOULD work.... but it just doesn't! What am I missing?!? I'm sure it's something obvious.... Appreciate anyone's help here b/c I'm stumped!!
        • 1. Re: Form Results - Changing Email Subject
          bregent Most Valuable Participant
          >I've searched around... All postings / sites seem to say that using the syntax as above it SHOULD work

You haven't searched around enough. Using mailto as the action is just plain bad. If you search this forum, you'll see that it is never recommended. You need to use a form mail script for reliable forms processing. Check with your host to see what they have for your hosting plan.
          • 2. Re: Form Results - Changing Email Subject
            Level 7
            mailto:xyz@example.com?subject=test

There are only two ways to process form data -

1. Use mailto:name@example.com as the action of the form
            2. Use a server-side scripting method to a) harvest the form's data, b)
            process it in some manner, e.g., enter it into a database, c) formulate and
            send an email to one or more email recipients, and d) redirect the visitor
            to some ending page

Method 1 is quite simple, and is also the least reliable. It depends both
            on your visitor having an email client already installed on their computer -
            this eliminates public computers, or home users without email clients
            installed (more and more it seems) - and on the installed email client
            responding to
            the mailto call. It is not possible to use this method *and* send the
            visitor to a
            thank you page as well.

Method 2a is the preferred method, since it eliminates the problems of
            method
            1, but it means that you have to grapple with server-scripting somehow (ASP,
            CF, PHP, perl, etc.).

Method 2b would be to use some third-party form processing, like
            http://www.bebosoft.com/products/formstogo/.

You would have to decide which of these methods is best for your needs,
            but if it's Method 2a, then start by asking your host what they provide for
            form
            processing. If it's 2b, then read their FAQ/instructions carefully.

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
            ==================

"Datanomics" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:fa511o$l5n$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > I'm using Dreamweaver v8.0.
            >
            > I created a form, set it to email the results. Everything is smooth as
            > silk
            > EXCEPT the subject line of the email. It's "Form posted from Windows
            > Internet
            > Explorer." That just doesn't fly.
            >
            > The code is as follows:
            > <form id="reservation" name="reservation" method="post"
            > action="mailto:xyz@xyz.com" enctype="text/plain">
            >
            > I changed it to <form id="reservation" name="reservation" method="post"
            > action="mailto:xyz@xyz.com?subject:test" enctype="text/plain"> but that
            > didn't
            > work.
            >
            > I've searched around... All postings / sites seem to say that using the
            > syntax
            > as above it SHOULD work.... but it just doesn't! What am I missing?!?
            > I'm
            > sure it's something obvious.... Appreciate anyone's help here b/c I'm
            > stumped!!
            >

• 3. Re: Form Results - Changing Email Subject
              Datanomics Level 1
              bregent - I DID see that there were other solutions but I did not realize that the mailto function was looked up with such disdain. That perception did not come across in the posts that I read.

Murray - Thank you for taking the time to write out my options so clearly. AND for the foresight in my follow up question which I had yet to post regarding the thank you page ('It is not possible to use this method *and* send the visitor to a thank you page as well."). The server side scripting method - it just sounds scary! ;) Probably b/c I have no idea what I'm doing.... but if that's the path I must take then so be it... Unfortunately I'm hosting the site here & we have an Exchange server (very vanilla environment). I would have to start by asking MYSELF what I provide for form processing and that would go back to the 'I have no idea what I'm doing' comment! But I digress, you've given me a place to start and I appreciate it!!!
              • 4. Re: Form Results - Changing Email Subject
                Datanomics Level 1
                Forgot to mention....

YES! You're totally right about the necessity of having an email client installed being a problem! I noticed that the first time I did a test run of the form & wasn't thrilled about that!

The site I have now was developed in FrontPage (shudder) and is terribly archaic & unprofessional looking HOWEVER it has this easy little form properties box which I simply populated with our Exchange server's IP addy & it 'magically' routes the form results through it! The form properties box ALSO has handy-dandy fields to tailor the email subject field, simultaneously write it to a text (or db) file AND THEN display a thank you page! I just wish DW had the same without getting involved with actual 'scripting'. I'm a TOTAL GUI user. Code / script / etc scares the life out of me....!!
                • 5. Re: Form Results - Changing Email Subject
                  Level 7
                  > I just wish DW
                  > had the same without getting involved with actual 'scripting'.

You can mention this to the dev team -

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Meanwhile, you may want to check out - http://www.bebosoft.com ---> Forms to
                  go.
                  --
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  ==================
                  http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
                  http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
                  ==================

news:faeu8a$1ge$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Forgot to mention....
                  >
                  > YES! You're totally right about the necessity of having an email client
                  > installed being a problem! I noticed that the first time I did a test run
                  > of
                  > the form & wasn't thrilled about that!
                  >
                  > The site I have now was developed in FrontPage (shudder) and is terribly
                  > archaic & unprofessional looking HOWEVER it has this easy little form
                  > properties box which I simply populated with our Exchange server's IP addy
                  > & it
                  > 'magically' routes the form results through it! The form properties box
                  > ALSO
                  > has handy-dandy fields to tailor the email subject field, simultaneously
                  > write
                  > it to a text (or db) file AND THEN display a thank you page! I just wish
                  > DW
                  > had the same without getting involved with actual 'scripting'. I'm a
                  > TOTAL GUI
                  > user. Code / script / etc scares the life out of me....!!
                  >

• 6. Re: Form Results - Changing Email Subject
                    >HOWEVER it has this easy little form properties box which I simply populated with our
                    >Exchange server's IP addy & it 'magically' routes the form results through it!

Yes, FP uses proprietary technologies that must be installed on the server (FP extensions) that enabled this sort of thing. DW on the other hand, doesn't assume you have any special extensions and thus you must do a little more work. It's not really difficult once you get the hang of it.

>m a TOTAL GUI user. Code / script / etc scares the life out of me....!!

Check out formstogo. It's a GUI tool that will write the custom scripts for you.
                    http://www.bebosoft.com/products/formstogo/
                    • 7. Re: Form Results - Changing Email Subject
                      Datanomics Level 1
                      >You can mention this to the dev team
                      -- DONE!

>you may want to check out - http://www.bebosoft.com ---> Forms to go.
                      -- WILL DO!

Thanks!
                      • 8. Form Results - Changing Email Subject
                        Datanomics Level 1
                        Murray, BRegent or anyone else out there...

I tried BeBoSoft's FormsToGo - it's a NoToGo or at least I'm REALLY close to walking away from it.

I've just about given up on trying to get the email portion to work - now I would be somewhat happy if I could get form data to write to a database - but even THAT isn't working! The ONLY thing that does work is the redirect to another page after hitting the 'Submit' button. Working with their support is very difficult since it's via email ONLY which varies from an immediate response to no response at all. I'm incredibly frustrated and hope there is another recommended product / company out there that will process form data (keeping in mind I'm a novice Dreamweaver user & not a coder by any means!).

Any suggestions?
                        • 9. Re: Form Results - Changing Email Subject
                          >I tried BeBoSoft's FormsToGo - it's a NoToGo or at least I'm REALLY close to walking away from it.

What exactly is the current problem? What scripting language are you using?
                          • 10. Re: Form Results - Changing Email Subject
                            Datanomics Level 1
                            I'm using the ASP version. I can successfully create the asp forms including validation. If I test it by putting in 'bad' data I get the appropriate failure message. All good.

The problem starts when the fields all have 'good' data and I hit 'Submit'. The asp code is set to do 2 things: 1 - write the data from the form to an MS Access db local on the web server and 2 - send an email containing the form data.

I was in contact with one of their support reps on the email issue but they suddenly dropped off the face of the earth. To try & resolve it on my own I decided to strip out the email portion & JUST get the database part working. I thought b/c email wasn't working it was holding up the database from being written to. I was wrong. That doesn't work either.

After recreating the asp to ONLY write to the MS Access database I successfully get the redirected 'Thank You' page (better than the 'Page Cannot Be Displayed' when the email portion was in the asp code!) but nothing is written to the database. No errors. No event logs. Nada. I've checked the path... I've checked permissions... I've checked the table matches up with the form.... I emailed BeBoSoft tech support and I posted it to their user forums... No responses.

And this is why my frustration level grows. Sure, it was only $25 so I don't expect them to bend over backwards, but I rather spend 10x that and get a company who is willing to help with the installation and configuration.... Which brings me to my post from earlier today asking for other recommendations!

Please feel free to check it out: http://www.tapastre.com/reservationsasp.html
                            • 11. Re: Form Results - Changing Email Subject
                              Can you create a copy of reservationsdbasp.asp with a .txt extension so we can see the asp code?
                              • 12. Re: Form Results - Changing Email Subject
                                Datanomics Level 1
                                I am going to post it across 2 messages. I can't do the whole thing b/c I'm getting an error: "Message length exceeded, Maximum size is 10000 bytes." The file is 15KB.

By the way.... Thanks so much for taking time to look at this. I never expected you to do this.... although I greatly appreciate it!!! - Lori

<%
                                '====================================================
                                ' =
                                ' Forms To Go 3.2.5 =
                                ' http://www.bebosoft.com/ =
                                ' =

CONST kOptional = true
                                CONST kMandatory = false

CONST kStringRangeFrom = 1
                                CONST kStringRangeTo = 2
                                CONST kStringRangeBetween = 3
                                CONST kYes = "yes"
                                CONST kNo = "no"

CONST kNumberRangeFrom = 1
                                CONST kNumberRangeTo = 2
                                CONST kNumberRangeBetween = 3

' Function: FilterControlChars =

Function FilterCchar(TextToFilter)

Dim regEx

Set regEx = New RegExp

regEx.Global = true
                                regEx.IgnoreCase = true
                                regEx.Pattern ="[\x00-\x1F]"

filterCchar = regEx.Replace(TextToFilter, "")

End Function

' Function: SQLQuoteReplace =

Function SQLQuoteReplace(FieldValue)

SQLQuoteReplace = Replace(FieldValue, "'", "''")

End Function

' Function: ValidateString =

Function check_string(field, low, high, mode, LimitAlpha, LimitNumbers, LimitEmptySpaces, LimitExtraChars, isOpt)

check_string = false

If LimitAlpha = kYes Then
                                MyRegEx = "A-Za-z"
                                End If

If LimitNumbers = kYes Then
                                MyRegEx = MyRegEx & "0-9"
                                End If

If LimitEmptySpaces = kYes Then
                                MyRegEx = MyRegEx & " "
                                End If

If Len(LimitExtraChars) > 0 Then

SpecialChars = "\,[,],-,$,.,*,(,),+,?,^,{,},|"
                                SpecialCharsArray = Split(SpecialChars, ",")

For cnt = 0 To UBound(SpecialCharsArray)
                                LimitExtraChars = Replace(LimitExtraChars, SpecialCharsArray(cnt), "\" & SpecialCharsArray(cnt))
                                Next

MyRegEx = MyRegEx & LimitExtraChars
                                End If

Set regEx = New RegExp
                                regEx.Pattern = "[^" & MyRegEx & "]"
                                regEx.IgnoreCase = true

If ( Len(field) > 0 ) And ( Len(MyRegEx) > 0 ) Then

retVal = regEx.Test(field)

If retVal Then
                                Exit Function
                                End If

End If

If ( (Len(field) = 0) and (isOpt = kOptional) ) Then

check_string = true

Else

If (mode = kStringRangeFrom) then
                                If Len(field) >= low then
                                check_string = true
                                End If
                                End If

If (mode = kStringRangeTo) then
                                If Len(field) <= high then
                                check_string = true
                                End If
                                End If

If (mode = kStringRangeBetween) then
                                If Len(field) >= low and Len(field) <= high then
                                check_string = true
                                End If
                                End If

End If

End Function

' Function: ValidateNumeric =

function check_numeric(field, low, high, mode, isOpt)

check_numeric = false

if ( (Len(field) = 0) and (isOpt = kOptional) ) Then

check_numeric = true

Else

If (isNumeric(field) and isNumeric(low) and mode = kNumberRangeFrom) then
                                If CDbl(field) >= low then
                                check_numeric = true
                                End If
                                End If

If (isNumeric(field) and isNumeric(high) and mode = kNumberRangeTo) then
                                If CDbl(field) <= high then
                                check_numeric = true
                                End If
                                End If

If (isNumeric(field) and isNumeric(low) and isNumeric(high) and mode = kNumberRangeBetween) then
                                If CDbl(field) >= low and CDbl(field) <= high then
                                check_numeric = true
                                End If
                                End If

End If

End Function

' Function: ValidateEmail =

Function check_email(Email, isOpt)

Dim regEx, retVal

check_email = false

If ( (Len(Email) = 0) and (isOpt = kOptional) ) Then

check_email = true

Else

Set regEx = New RegExp
                                regEx.Pattern ="^[_a-z0-9-]+(\.[_a-z0-9-]+)*@[a-z0-9-]+(\.[a-z0-9-]+)*(\.[a-z]{2,4})$"
                                regEx.IgnoreCase = true

retVal = regEx.Test(Email)

If retVal Then
                                check_email = true
                                End If

End If

End Function

' Function: ValidateValueList =

Function check_valuelist_Time(field, valtype, isOpt)

Dim valuelist(19)

Dim selcnt
                                selcnt = 0

valuelist(0) = "11am"
                                valuelist(1) = "11:30am"
                                valuelist(2) = "12pm"
                                valuelist(3) = "12:30pm"
                                valuelist(4) = "1pm"
                                valuelist(5) = "1:30pm"
                                valuelist(6) = "2pm"
                                valuelist(7) = "2:30pm"
                                valuelist(8) = "5pm"
                                valuelist(9) = "5:30pm"
                                valuelist(10) = "6pm"
                                valuelist(11) = "6:30pm"
                                valuelist(12) = "7pm"
                                valuelist(13) = "7:30pm"
                                valuelist(14) = "8pm"
                                valuelist(15) = "8:30pm"
                                valuelist(16) = "9pm"
                                valuelist(17) = "9:30pm"
                                valuelist(18) = "10pm"
                                valuelist(19) = "10:30pm"

If isarray(field) then

ArraySize = UBound(field) + 1

For Each Item in field
                                For Each Value in valuelist
                                if Item = Value then
                                selcnt = selcnt + 1
                                Exit For
                                End If
                                Next
                                Next

Else

If Len(field) > 0 Then
                                ArraySize = 1
                                For Each Value in valuelist
                                if field = Value then
                                selcnt = selcnt + 1
                                Exit For
                                End If
                                Next
                                Else
                                ArraySize = 0
                                End If

End If

If ((ArraySize = 0) and (isOpt = kOptional)) Then
                                check_valuelist_Time = true
                                ElseIf ((valtype = 1) and (selcnt > 0)) Then
                                ElseIf ((valtype = 2) and (selcnt = uBound(valuelist) + 1)) Then
                                ElseIf ((valtype = 3) and (selcnt = 0)) Then
                                Else
                                check_valuelist_Time = false
                                End if

End Function
                                • 13. Re: Form Results - Changing Email Subject
                                  Datanomics Level 1
                                  ' Function: Validate Telephone =

function check_telephone(telephone, valformat, isOpt)

check_telephone = false

if ( (Len(telephone) = 0) and (isOpt = kOptional) ) Then

check_telephone = true

Else

Set regEx = New RegExp

regEx.Pattern = valformat

regEx.IgnoreCase = true

retVal = regEx.Test(telephone)

If retVal Then
                                  check_telephone = true
                                  End If

End If

End Function

' Function: ValidateDate =

Function check_dateformat(datevalue, isOpt)

check_dateformat = false

If ( (Len(datevalue) = 0) and (isOpt = kOptional) ) Then

check_dateformat = true

Else

YearStr = Mid(datevalue, "7", "2")
                                  MonthStr = Mid(datevalue, "1", "2")
                                  DayStr = Mid(datevalue, "4", "2")
                                  YearFourDigits = false

If IsNumeric(YearStr) And IsNumeric(MonthStr) And IsNumeric(DayStr) Then

YearInt = CInt(YearStr)
                                  MonthInt = CInt(MonthStr)
                                  DayInt = CInt(DayStr)

If DayInt = 31 And (MonthInt = 4 or MonthInt = 6 or MonthInt = 9 or MonthInt = 11) Then
                                  check_dateformat = false
                                  ElseIf (MonthInt = 2 And DayInt = 29 and not (YearInt mod 4 = 0 and (YearInt mod 100 <> 0 or YearInt mod 400 = 0))) Then
                                  check_dateformat = false
                                  ElseIf (DayInt >= 30 And MonthInt = 2) Then
                                  check_dateformat = false
                                  ElseIf ((YearInt < 1900 Or YearInt > 2100) And YearFourDigits) Then
                                  check_dateformat = false
                                  ElseIf ((YearInt < 0 Or YearInt > 99) And Not YearFourDigits) Then
                                  check_dateformat = false
                                  ElseIf (MonthInt < 1 Or MonthInt > 12) Then
                                  check_dateformat = false
                                  ElseIf (DayInt < 1 Or DayInt > 31) Then
                                  check_dateformat = false
                                  ElseIf Len(datevalue) <> 8 Then
                                  check_dateformat = false
                                  Else
                                  check_dateformat = true
                                  End If

End If

End If

End Function

' Function: ShowDate =

Function ShowDate(ftgdf)

Dim FTGNow, FTGDay, FTGMonth, FTGYearS, FTGYearL, FTGHour, FTGMinute, FTGSecond, AMPM

FTGNow = Now

FTGDay = CStr(Day(FTGNow))
                                  FTGMonth = CStr(Month(FTGNow))
                                  FTGYearS = Right(CStr(Year(FTGNow)), 2)
                                  FTGYearL = CStr(Year(FTGNow))
                                  FTGHour = CStr(Hour(FTGNow))
                                  FTGMinute = CStr(Minute(FTGNow))
                                  FTGSecond = CStr(Second(FTGNow))

If FTGDay < 10 Then FTGDay = "0" & FTGDay
                                  If FTGMonth < 10 Then FTGMonth = "0" & FTGMonth
                                  If FTGHour < 10 Then FTGHour = "0" & FTGHour
                                  If FTGMinute < 10 Then FTGMinute = "0" & FTGMinute
                                  If FTGSecond < 10 Then FTGSecond = "0" & FTGSecond

If ftgdf = 1 Then ShowDate = FTGMonth & "/" & FTGDay & "/" & FTGYearS
                                  If ftgdf = 2 Then ShowDate = FTGDay & "/" & FTGMonth & "/" & FTGYearS
                                  If ftgdf = 3 Then ShowDate = FTGDay & "/" & FTGMonth & "/" & FTGYearL
                                  If ftgdf = 4 Then ShowDate = FTGYearL & "-" & FTGMonth & "-" & FTGDay
                                  If ftgdf = 6 Then ShowDate = FTGHour & ":" & FTGMinute & ":" & FTGSecond
                                  If ftgdf = 7 Then ShowDate = FTGYearL & "-" & FTGMonth & "-" & FTGDay & " " & FTGHour & ":" & FTGMinute & ":" & FTGSecond

If ftgdf = 5 Then

AMPM = "AM"
                                  FTGHour = Hour(FTGNow)
                                  If FTGHour > 12 Then
                                  FTGHour = FTGHour - 12
                                  AMPM = "PM"
                                  If FTGHour < 10 Then FTGHour = "0" & FTGHour
                                  ElseIf FTGHour = 12 Then
                                  AMPM = "PM"
                                  ElseIf FTGHour < 10 Then
                                  FTGHour = "0" & FTGHour
                                  End If

ShowDate = FTGHour & ":" & FTGMinute & ":" & FTGSecond & " " & AMPM

End If

End Function

Dim ClientIP

if Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR") <> "" then
                                  ClientIP = Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR")
                                  else
                                  ClientIP = Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_ADDR")
                                  end if

Dim objCDOSYSMail
                                  Set objCDOSYSMail = Server.CreateObject("CDO.Message")
                                  Dim objCDOSYSCnfg
                                  Set objCDOSYSCnfg = Server.CreateObject("CDO.Configuration")
                                  FTGName = request.form("Name")
                                  FTGPhone = request.form("Phone")
                                  FTGEmail = request.form("Email")
                                  FTGDate = request.form("Date")
                                  FTGTime = request.form("Time")
                                  FTGGuests = request.form("Guests")
                                  FTGRequests = request.form("Requests")
                                  FTGOptOut = request.form("OptOut")
                                  FTGReservation = request.form("Reservation")

' Fields Validations

validationFailed = false

If (not check_string(FTGName, 1, 30, kStringRangeBetween, kYes, kNo, kYes, "", kMandatory)) Then
                                  validationFailed = true
                                  FTGName_errmsg = "Please enter your name."
                                  ErrorList = ErrorList & FTGName_errmsg & "<br/>"
                                  End If
                                  If (not check_telephone(FTGPhone, "[0-9]{3}\-[0-9]{3}\-[0-9]{4}", kMandatory)) Then
                                  validationFailed = true
                                  FTGPhone_errmsg = "Please enter your phone number as ###-###-####."
                                  ErrorList = ErrorList & FTGPhone_errmsg & "<br/>"
                                  End If
                                  If (not check_email(FTGEmail, kOptional)) Then
                                  validationFailed = true
                                  FTGEmail_errmsg = "Please enter your email address."
                                  ErrorList = ErrorList & FTGEmail_errmsg & "<br/>"
                                  End If
                                  If (not check_dateformat(FTGDate, kMandatory)) Then
                                  validationFailed = true
                                  FTGDate_errmsg = "Please enter the date of your reservation."
                                  ErrorList = ErrorList & FTGDate_errmsg & "<br/>"
                                  End If
                                  If (not check_valuelist_Time(FTGTime, 1, kMandatory)) Then
                                  validationFailed = true
                                  FTGTime_errmsg = "Please enter the time of your reservation."
                                  ErrorList = ErrorList & FTGTime_errmsg & "<br/>"
                                  End If
                                  If (not check_numeric(FTGGuests, 1, 12, kNumberRangeBetween, kMandatory)) Then
                                  validationFailed = true
                                  FTGGuests_errmsg = "Please enter the number of guests who will be dining."
                                  ErrorList = ErrorList & FTGGuests_errmsg & "<br/>"
                                  End If

' Code: ErrorMessage =

If (validationFailed = true) Then

ErrorPage = "<html><head><title>Error</title></head><body>Errors found: <!--VALIDATIONERROR--></body></html>"

ErrorPage = Replace(ErrorPage, "<!--VALIDATIONERROR-->", ErrorList)
                                  ErrorPage = Replace(ErrorPage, "<!--FIELDVALUE:Name-->", FTGName)
                                  ErrorPage = Replace(ErrorPage, "<!--FIELDVALUE:Phone-->", FTGPhone)
                                  ErrorPage = Replace(ErrorPage, "<!--FIELDVALUE:Email-->", FTGEmail)
                                  ErrorPage = Replace(ErrorPage, "<!--FIELDVALUE:Date-->", FTGDate)
                                  ErrorPage = Replace(ErrorPage, "<!--FIELDVALUE:Time-->", FTGTime)
                                  ErrorPage = Replace(ErrorPage, "<!--FIELDVALUE:Guests-->", FTGGuests)
                                  ErrorPage = Replace(ErrorPage, "<!--FIELDVALUE:Requests-->", FTGRequests)
                                  ErrorPage = Replace(ErrorPage, "<!--FIELDVALUE:OptOut-->", FTGOptOut)
                                  ErrorPage = Replace(ErrorPage, "<!--FIELDVALUE:Reservation-->", FTGReservation)
                                  ErrorPage = Replace(ErrorPage, "<!--ERRORMSG:Name-->", FTGName_errmsg)
                                  ErrorPage = Replace(ErrorPage, "<!--ERRORMSG:Phone-->", FTGPhone_errmsg)
                                  ErrorPage = Replace(ErrorPage, "<!--ERRORMSG:Email-->", FTGEmail_errmsg)
                                  ErrorPage = Replace(ErrorPage, "<!--ERRORMSG:Date-->", FTGDate_errmsg)
                                  ErrorPage = Replace(ErrorPage, "<!--ERRORMSG:Time-->", FTGTime_errmsg)
                                  ErrorPage = Replace(ErrorPage, "<!--ERRORMSG:Guests-->", FTGGuests_errmsg)

Response.Write ErrorPage
                                  Response.End

End If

' Code: DumpMSAccess =

set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
                                  conn.Provider = "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0"
                                  conn.Open "d:\sites\tapastre\db\tapastreres.mdb"

sqlcmd = "INSERT INTO Reservation(Name, Phone, Email, Date, Time, Guests, Requests, OptOut) VALUES('" & SQLQuoteReplace(FTGName) & "', '" & SQLQuoteReplace(FTGPhone) & "', '" & SQLQuoteReplace(FTGEmail) & "', '" & SQLQuoteReplace(FTGDate) & "', '" & SQLQuoteReplace(FTGTime) & "', '" & SQLQuoteReplace(FTGGuests) & "', '" & SQLQuoteReplace(FTGRequests) & "', '" & SQLQuoteReplace(FTGOptOut) & "')"

on error resume next

conn.Execute sqlcmd,recaffected

If err <> 0 Then
                                  Response.Write "<html><head><title>Error</title></head><body>Error: Cannot dump field values to MS Access database: <b>" & err.Description & "</b>.</body></html>"
                                  End If

' Code: SuccessRedirect =

Response.Redirect " http://www.tapastre.com/thankyou.html"

%>
                                  • 14. Re: Form Results - Changing Email Subject
                                    Please comment out the redirect line:
                                    Response.Redirect " http://www.tapastre.com/thankyou.html"
                                    and see if any errors are generated before the redirect.
                                    • 15. Form Results - Changing Email Subject
                                      Datanomics Level 1
                                      Brilliant idea! I'm so sorry I didn't think of that myself... I got rid of the redirect and the error message is..............!

Error: Cannot dump field values to MS Access database: Syntax error in INSERT INTO statement..

I can deduce what an 'insert into statement' is & I found it in the asp code. The table name (Reservation) and the field headings match up exactly with the field names in the table. The only exception is that Access prompted me to create a 'header' column (or maybe 'master' column - can't remember what it was specifically called) which inserted an ID column with the value (Auto Number) before all the others.

And again, T-H-A-N-K Y-O-U for this help!!!! I'm so excited to be making headway!
                                      • 16. Re: Form Results - Changing Email Subject
                                        Level 7
                                        Datanomics wrote:
                                        > Brilliant idea! I'm so sorry I didn't think of that myself... I got rid of
                                        > the redirect and the error message is..............!
                                        >
                                        > Error: Cannot dump field values to MS Access database: Syntax error in INSERT
                                        > INTO statement..
                                        >
                                        > Of course I have NO idea what an 'insert into statement' is....?
                                        >
                                        > And again, T-H-A-N-K Y-O-U for this help!!!! I'm so excited to be making
                                        > headway!
                                        >

Did you set the right file permissions for the access database file?

Steve
                                        • 17. Re: Form Results - Changing Email Subject
                                          Datanomics Level 1
                                          That was one of the first things I did - I gave 'modify' permissions to Everyone, www.tapastre.com Admins, Authors & Browers - not the most secure thing but I wanted to get it working and then work backwards by locking down the permissions until I got it as tight as possible but still functioning. Of course Administrators & System have full by default. So unless I'm missing a group that should have permission I *think* I have this covered...
                                          • 18. Re: Form Results - Changing Email Subject
                                            Level 7
                                            Datanomics wrote:
                                            > That was one of the first things I did - I gave 'modify' permissions to
                                            > Everyone, www.tapastre.com Admins, Authors & Browers - not the most secure
                                            > thing but I wanted to get it working and then work backwards by locking down
                                            > the permissions until I got it as tight as possible but still functioning. Of
                                            > course Administrators & System have full by default. So unless I'm missing a
                                            > group that should have permission I *think* I have this covered...
                                            >

What about write permissions on the folder itself? A lock file will be
                                            created I think, so that folder needs permissions to create it and
                                            delete it.

Steve
                                            • 19. Re: Form Results - Changing Email Subject
                                              >Error: Cannot dump field values to MS Access database: Syntax error in INSERT INTO statement..

OK, first of all you are not trapping errors correctly because the redirect statement is getting executed regardless of any error condition. You need to add some conditional logic to fix that. But first, add this statement at the last line to see what the sql statement looks like and post back the results:

response.write sqlcmd
                                              • 20. Re: Form Results - Changing Email Subject
                                                Datanomics Level 1
                                                Steve -

I should have clarified. It IS the folder that has those permissions & I verified that the db within inherited them properly. So yes, both the folder AND the db itself have the permissions as described above.

BRegent -

Done!

Error: Cannot dump field values to MS Access database: Syntax error in INSERT INTO statement..INSERT INTO Reservation(Name, Phone, Email, Date, Time, Guests, Requests, OptOut) VALUES('My Name', '555-666-7777', 'dn@dnc.com', '05/06/08', '5pm', '2', 'la la la', 'checkbox')
                                                • 21. Re: Form Results - Changing Email Subject
                                                  Level 7
                                                  Datanomics wrote:
                                                  > Steve -
                                                  >
                                                  > I should have clarified. It IS the folder that has those permissions & I
                                                  > verified that the db within inherited them properly. So yes, both the folder
                                                  > AND the db itself have the permissions as described above.

Seems like I was on the wrong tack anyway :)

> BRegent -
                                                  >
                                                  > Done!
                                                  >
                                                  > Error: Cannot dump field values to MS Access database: Syntax error in INSERT
                                                  > INTO statement..INSERT INTO Reservation(Name, Phone, Email, Date, Time, Guests,
                                                  > Requests, OptOut) VALUES('My Name', '555-666-7777', 'dn@dnc.com', '05/06/08',
                                                  > '5pm', '2', 'la la la', 'checkbox')

Is the last field a checkbox? The database is probably expecting a 1 or
                                                  0, not a string. Check what value the checkbox is using.

Steve
                                                  • 22. Re: Form Results - Changing Email Subject
                                                    Datanomics Level 1
                                                    Yes, the last field on the web form IS a checkbox. Where would it say 'what value the checkbox is using'? Is that a Dreamweaver setting? I can't fnd any reference to it in the asp code (all posted yesterday for your perusal) but in html it just says:

<th colspan="2" scope="row"><div align="center">If you do not wish to receive future mailings please click here:
                                                    <label>
                                                    <input name="OptOut" type="checkbox" id="OptOut" value="checkbox" />
                                                    </label>

In Access, the field name is OptOut (matches the web form) and the value is Yes/No - that's what came up by default. The other options are On/Off and True/False.
                                                    • 23. Re: Form Results - Changing Email Subject
                                                      Level 7
                                                      Datanomics wrote:
                                                      > Yes, the last field on the web form IS a checkbox. Where would it say 'what
                                                      > value the checkbox is using'? Is that a Dreamweaver setting? I can't fnd any
                                                      > reference to it in the asp code (all posted yesterday for your perusal) but in
                                                      > html it just says:
                                                      >
                                                      > <th colspan="2" scope="row"><div align="center">If you do not wish to receive
                                                      > future mailings please click here:
                                                      > <label>
                                                      > <input name="OptOut" type="checkbox" id="OptOut"
                                                      > value="checkbox" />
                                                      > </label>
                                                      >
                                                      > In Access, the field name is OptOut (matches the web form) and the value is
                                                      > Yes/No - that's what came up by default. The other options are On/Off and
                                                      > True/False.
                                                      >

This:
                                                      <input name="OptOut" type="checkbox" id="OptOut" value="checkbox" />

Should be this:
                                                      <input name="OptOut" type="checkbox" id="OptOut" value="1" />

The property inspector should let you input the value.

Steve
                                                      • 24. Re: Form Results - Changing Email Subject
                                                        Datanomics Level 1
                                                        Murray, bregent & Dooza -

Just wanted to say thank you for all your help and suggestions over the last year.

I completely gave up on getting the FormsToGo data to dump into Access although I was finally able to get the results to be sent via email - the issue was a McAfee setting - "Prevent mass mailing worms from sending email". I disabled that & emailing the form data worked immediately (although I've only gotten it to send to email accounts within own domain vs @hotmail.com, @xyz.com, etc.).

In the meantime I convinced my boss of the need to bring in a web developing firm to design the sites as required - both in look & functionality. So after all this, I'm washing my hands of the project anyway and will let people who actually know what they're doing make the magic happen! Clearly, I don't have the time nor knowledge...

But I just wanted to make one final post to this ridiculously long, drawn out issue to say thanks. You definitely taught me a lot along the way & I appreciate it!
                                                        • 25. Re: Form Results - Changing Email Subject
                                                          Level 7
                                                          Is my firm on the list of candidates? 8)

--
                                                          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                                          Adobe Community Expert
                                                          ==================
                                                          ==================

news:g2bn3t$in4$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                          > Murray, bregent & Dooza -
                                                          >
                                                          > Just wanted to say thank you for all your help and suggestions over the
                                                          > last
                                                          > year.
                                                          >
                                                          > I completely gave up on getting the FormsToGo data to dump into Access
                                                          > although I was finally able to get the results to be sent via email - the
                                                          > issue
                                                          > was a McAfee setting - "Prevent mass mailing worms from sending email". I
                                                          > disabled that & emailing the form data worked immediately (although I've
                                                          > only
                                                          > gotten it to send to email accounts within own domain vs @hotmail.com,
                                                          > @xyz.com, etc.).
                                                          >
                                                          > In the meantime I convinced my boss of the need to bring in a web
                                                          > developing
                                                          > firm to design the sites as required - both in look & functionality. So
                                                          > after
                                                          > all this, I'm washing my hands of the project anyway and will let people
                                                          > who
                                                          > actually know what they're doing make the magic happen! Clearly, I don't
                                                          > have
                                                          > the time nor knowledge...
                                                          >
                                                          > But I just wanted to make one final post to this ridiculously long, drawn
                                                          > out
                                                          > issue to say thanks. You definitely taught me a lot along the way & I
                                                          > appreciate it!
                                                          >

• 26. Re: Form Results - Changing Email Subject
                                                            Level 7
                                                            Datanomics wrote:
                                                            >
                                                            > Just wanted to say thank you for all your help and suggestions over the last
                                                            > year.
                                                            >
                                                            > I completely gave up on getting the FormsToGo data to dump into Access
                                                            > although I was finally able to get the results to be sent via email - the issue
                                                            > was a McAfee setting - "Prevent mass mailing worms from sending email". I
                                                            > disabled that & emailing the form data worked immediately (although I've only
                                                            > gotten it to send to email accounts within own domain vs @hotmail.com,
                                                            > @xyz.com, etc.).
                                                            >
                                                            > In the meantime I convinced my boss of the need to bring in a web developing
                                                            > firm to design the sites as required - both in look & functionality. So after
                                                            > all this, I'm washing my hands of the project anyway and will let people who
                                                            > actually know what they're doing make the magic happen! Clearly, I don't have
                                                            > the time nor knowledge...
                                                            >
                                                            > But I just wanted to make one final post to this ridiculously long, drawn out
                                                            > issue to say thanks. You definitely taught me a lot along the way & I
                                                            > appreciate it!

Glad I could help :)

Steve
                                                            • 27. Re: Form Results - Changing Email Subject
                                                              Datanomics Level 1
                                                              Murray - Well NOW I feel bad! I had no idea you ran that kind of op (although I guess it makes sense being that you're quite the expert on DW et al... - duh.). Sorry to say we're already signed & sealed with another firm. But for future reference - what's the link to your company?
                                                              • 28. Re: Form Results - Changing Email Subject
                                                                Level 7
                                                                Heh - http://www.great-web-sights.com

Good luck!

--
                                                                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                                                Adobe Community Expert
                                                                ==================
                                                                ==================

news:g2bqrc$n25$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                                > Murray - Well NOW I feel bad! I had no idea you ran that kind of op
                                                                > (although
                                                                > I guess it makes sense being that you're quite the expert on DW et al... -
                                                                > duh.). Sorry to say we're already signed & sealed with another firm. But
                                                                > for
                                                                > future reference - what's the link to your company?
                                                                >

• 29. Re: Form Results - Changing Email Subject
                                                                  >
                                                                  > Just wanted to say thank you for all your help and suggestions over the last
                                                                  > year.

You're welcome.
                                                                  • 30. Re: Form Results - Changing Email Subject
                                                                    Datanomics Level 1
                                                                    Murray - Noted! Next time around I promise I will give you a call! ;)
                                                                    • 31. Re: Form Results - Changing Email Subject
                                                                      Level 7
                                                                      No problem, and thanks!

--
                                                                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                                                      Adobe Community Expert
                                                                      ==================
                                                                      ==================

news:g2c295$1rc$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                                      > Murray - Noted! Next time around I promise I will give you a call! ;)