5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2010 2:49 PM by Les O'Neill

CS5 - Navigating Artboards

Les O'Neill Level 2

In the CS5 help files on page 34 it states "To navigate between artboards, press Alt (Windows) or Option (Mac OS) and click an arrow key." I'm on Mac OS 10.5.8 and for the life of me I can't get this to work. Could someone please verify whether this does or does not work so as I can ascertain whether it's something peculier to my system.

Thanks

Les

• 1. Re: CS5 - Navigating Artboards
          Doug Katz Level 4

In CS4, the option key only navigates artboards if you have the artboard tool selected (shift-O). Maybe the same in CS5?

• 2. Re: CS5 - Navigating Artboards
            Les O'Neill Level 2

Thanks for responding Doug, and I think your probably right that you need the artboard tool active (which is pretty pathetic for navigaton purposes), but even then it's halfbaked. Say I have 3 artboards and I'm zoomed in on No.1, hitting 'shift-O' then 'option-arrow' merely moves the focus but fails to actually take you to the newly 'selected' artboard! for that you would need to then hit 'command-0' to re-centre on the new artboard!! What a piece of cr*p! I was merely looking for a way to cycle through artboards using a keyboard shortcut... sigh!

Cheers

Les

• 3. Re: CS5 - Navigating Artboards
              CupertinoFruit Level 3

Les,

Pl. don't abuse the application before even exploring its features. Illustrator CS5 has added tremendous capabilities to the Multiple Artboards feature introduced in CS4.

No, you DO NOT need to activate the Artboard tool for navigation. Simply press Shift+PageDown or Shift+PageUp to navigate between artboards.

You have a keyboard shortcut of Opt/Alt+Cmd/Ctrl+0 to 'Fit Artboard in Window'.

Pl. refer to the Help documentation to know about various features.

• 4. Re: CS5 - Navigating Artboards
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

CupertinoFruit

I hope the OP marks your response as the answer

• 5. Re: CS5 - Navigating Artboards
                  Les O'Neill Level 2

Hi CupertinoFruit

Thank you for the answer and I'm sorry if I upset your sensibilities, but it is very frustrating when one DOES read the help files and finds incorrect information (please read my original post again re- pg 34 of the said help files).

All the best

Les