11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2010 6:39 AM by MurraySummers

2 questions...exporting/html?

designisfun

Hello everyone! I have attached two identical pictures as you can see. However one has the textareas/textboxes while the other has just the background. The picture with the textareas/textboxes was composed in FW. I then deleted those textareas/textboxes in FW.

I am curious to know how to import the blank picture without the textareas/textboxes into DW and then add textareas/textboxes from DW and align them to my needs? How would I make a similar "submit" button as shown in the picture in DW and have it send the information to my email?

Essentially what I am trying to do is export a webpage from FW to DW and then add the textareas/textboxes and make the submit button direct the inquiry to my email.Capture2.PNG

Capture.PNG

Any help is appreciated.

• 1. Re: 2 questions...exporting/html?
          BenPleysier Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am curious to know how to import the blank picture without the textareas/textboxes into DW and then add textareas/textboxes from DW and align them to my needs?

Create a DIV of the correct size and apply background to it using your FW graphic. Then just add HTML form elements for your inputs.

How would I make a similar "submit" button as shown in the picture in DW and have it send the information to my email?

There are many tutorials on the internet that allow you to do this. Googling the subject 'Form to Email' gave me this URL http://www.tele-pro.co.uk/scripts/contact_form/ amongst many others.

I hope this helps.

Ben

• 2. Re: 2 questions...exporting/html?
            designisfun Level 1

Can't I just import the blank picture into DW and then add the forms where I want them to go instead of add div?

• 3. Re: 2 questions...exporting/html?

designisfun wrote:

Can't I just import the blank picture into DW and then add the forms where I want them to go instead of add div?

It just makes it harder.

• 4. Re: 2 questions...exporting/html?
                designisfun Level 1

Argh, I find DW so much harder to use than any other Adobe program.

• 5. Re: 2 questions...exporting/html?

designisfun wrote:

Argh, I find DW so much harder to use than any other Adobe program.

I am sorry to disappoint you, it is not DW! DW makes it easier for us.

From your statement I gather that you have no experience in creating websites using HTML, CSS, JavaScript and/or serverside languages such as PHP, Coldfusion or ASP.

It might be an idea to have a look at one or more of the many tutorials that are available on the internet. One such tutorial that comes to mind is presented by Greg Rewis, an evangalist for Adobe. You can find it here http://tv.adobe.com/show/taming-the-web-with-greg-rewis/ at the bottom titled From Comp to Finished Page.

I hope this helps.

Ben

• 6. Re: 2 questions...exporting/html?
                    designisfun Level 1

You are right, I am a novice to web design. I have read some things about Coldfusion. Do you think in your opinion it is easier to create web applications in Coldfusion?

• 7. Re: 2 questions...exporting/html?
                      MurraySummers Level 8

Not until you feel comfortable with HTML and CSS, no.  Coldfusion is designed to be used in conjunction with those two, and should be attacked later after learning your way around first.

• 8. Re: 2 questions...exporting/html?

Do you think in your opinion it is easier to create web applications in Coldfusion?

No. Coldfusion (along with PHP and ASP) is a serverside code that only needs to be used in those instances where HTML-CSS combination cannot perform the task that we want it to do, such as database binding (communicating with a database).

You are best off starting with a simple page using one of DW's HTML-CSS templates and configuring that (one) page until it looks like how you want it, nothing too eleborate though. Then, when you like the design, turn that page into a template and create your web pages from the template.

By following Greg Rewis' series Taming the web on Adobe TV, you will not get confused with other irrelevancies, just straight forward learning, all free of charge.

Actually, I am a bit envious of you because of the learning opportunities that you have got; reminds me of the time I had to fiddle around with tables within tables within tables to create the layout that I wanted, all without gratis guidance.

Best of programming luck mate.

Ben

• 9. Re: 2 questions...exporting/html?
                          designisfun Level 1

Thanks for the advice on Coldfusion guys! Would have not wanted to waste money on that for no reason. I think that these tutorials for "taming the web" are going to help (hopefully). I just have one quick question which I posted under livecycle but I got no answers.

Is it possible to export from livecycle to dreamweaver? If yes, how?

Anyways, thanks for all of the advice to everyone who has posted! I am slowly starting to learn and from the past few days have been reading a lot of articles/watching a lot of tutorials on html, css etc., to get a better grip for dw. I really appreciate people like you all.

Thanks

• 10. Re: 2 questions...exporting/html?
                            bemdesign Level 4

Livecycle is a server product from Adobe to manage PDF workflows. It really doesn't have anything to do with the web. At least nothing to do with it that you need to worry about. Again, I highly suggest going to a website that you like and looking at the source code (using your browser's "View Source" functionality). This will show you real, working code. Learning HTML and CSS is a lot like learning a new language - you should study it and see how it's used, learn the grammar, see how others speak/write (look at source code), and practice it...it will start to click.

• 11. Re: 2 questions...exporting/html?
                              MurraySummers Level 8

To speak plainly, trying to use DW without taking the time to learn enough HTML and CSS so that you feel moderately comfortable in Code view is going to be an exercise in frustration.