4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2010 7:07 PM by Xenobea

Blending Mode

I have Fireworks 4, and I'm trying to use the Blending option to make lines on a scaned drawing darker so it can be colored. When I change the blending option to "Multiply" (or any other option) and move to another layer to change it, then go back, it is reset to "Normal". Am I doing something wrong, or is it not possible to overlap and blend JPGs/BMPs/GIFs?

Also, I was wondering if it is possible to update my Fireworks 4 to the new version without going out and buying another copy of Fireworks?

• 1. Re: Blending Mode
          Linda Nicholls Level 4

Why not just change the brightness and contrast of the image to emphasize the scanned lines? Unfortunately you will not be able to uprade from Foreworks 4. You need at least Fireworks 8 for the upgrade version.

• 2. Re: Blending Mode
            Xenobea Level 1

It is art work, and there is a technique that someone on DiviantArt uses in Photoshop that I should be able to do in Fireworks. I would think the technique would produce a better image than changing the brightness and contrast. That and I dont know how to change the brightness and contrast like I somewhat have and idea of how to use the blending option. o_o;; I just sarted messing with it today so I don't know much.

This is what I am trying to do just this is useing photoshop: http://toshinho.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d26spe1

And you can't even update Fireworks 4 even a little??

• 3. Re: Blending Mode
              Linda Nicholls Level 4

Fireworks and Photoshop are very different beasts. A tutorial for one program doesn't usually work in the other. Fireworks is for creating low resolution images for the web, which, among other things, makes it unsuitable for printwork. I don't see any advantage to making the lines of your drawng stronger as done in the tutorial. Use the help files to learn how to use the brightness/contrast filter. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful with instruction, but I haven't used Fireworks 4 in about 10 years.

• 4. Re: Blending Mode
                Xenobea Level 1

Ok, thanks. Also, making the lines darker is like inking the drawing without changing the original so that you can go back and make corrections in the future. It also helps with coloring in other programs. If I try to color the image as is, the whole image is colored with the exception of a few select spots where I made the lines dark enough. Darkening the lines makes it like a coloring book but were you can color whole section with a click.