14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2014 9:36 PM by sachinbalkavde

Terminal Server 2008 R2 - Adobe 9.0 CPU Usage

Mcguiggan

We are currently running 5 Windows 2008 R2 64bit, RDS severs with 200 users.  We are having a major problem with adobe reader and running on these servers  Every instance of adobe reader is taking 11-14% of the CPU.  So  once 5-6 people get on the CPU is maxed and starts slowing things down.

Hardware

DL360 G6

2 75 GB drives Mirrored

16.0 GB Ram

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5506 @2.13GHZ (@ processors)

The updater is disabled and is no running.

We had adobe Professional 6 installed but that was removed off one of the servers in hope that was causing the issue. No luck the one server only has adobe reader and is still having issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Terminal Server 2008 R2 - Adobe 9.0 CPU Usage
          Mcguiggan Level 1

Update

I have checked it out through Process Monitor

The thread that is causing the problem is acrord32.dll! DLLCanunloadnow+0x9f08f

I can kill the thread and it does not cause adobe any problems.

• 2. Re: Terminal Server 2008 R2 - Adobe 9.0 CPU Usage
            alnmedman

We are having the same issue.

We have currently 3 TS servers 2008 and when opening a pdf via integrated web browser sometime (very often) the iexplorer.exe process will take up 10-15% CPU per document. A couple of users get this and the server runs very slow. We have not figured out why or how to get rid of the problem.

You mentioned you checked it out through process monitor and found acrord32.dll is causing the problem. What process monitor are you using? can you walk me through what you did to find this out?

Thanks for any help!

• 3. Re: Terminal Server 2008 R2 - Adobe 9.0 CPU Usage
              Mcguiggan Level 1

Sorry I misspoke I used Process Explorer Located

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Once you open that, it will list all the process currenty in use.  If you right click on the ofending process and choose properties you can then go to the Threads tab and you can look further into what might be causing your issue.   Ours problem happens to be with acroread32.dll! DllCanUnloadnow 0x9f08f.  No one has responded here and it is a real issue for us.  I will probably be opening a ticket with adobe real soon.

Your problem might be different as ours doent have to do it through a website.    All a user has to do is open adobe reader and it shoots to 13%

• 4. Re: Terminal Server 2008 R2 - Adobe 9.0 CPU Usage
                alnmedman Level 1

I just looked at everything that is causing CPU usage and it is the save DllCanUnloadnow 0x9f08f thread eating up all the CPU. I'll test removing it and see if it has any kind of effect to adobe or our users.

Let me know if you find anything new and I will let you know if I find anything also.

• 5. Re: Terminal Server 2008 R2 - Adobe 9.0 CPU Usage
                  Mcguiggan Level 1

So yes yours is the same as ours.   I tried stopping that thread and it did not effect the users but the CPU usage just went to IE.  In which it was the same thread.

DllCanUnloadnow 0x9f08f

I wish there was a way to keep this from coming up.

• 6. Re: Terminal Server 2008 R2 - Adobe 9.0 CPU Usage
                    Mcguiggan Level 1

Well I just gotoff the phone with their technical support.  Was willing to pay the $40 and the line I got was.

"We do not support Adobe Reader in a Terminal server Environment."

• 7. Re: Terminal Server 2008 R2 - Adobe 9.0 CPU Usage
                      alnmedman Level 1

Are you able to reproduce it on the same machines but at the consol, that might be a way around there terminal server environment support issue. Maybe using logmein or something if you can't physically access the machine?

• 8. Re: Terminal Server 2008 R2 - Adobe 9.0 CPU Usage
                        Mcguiggan Level 1

Ok we have found a bandaid for this problem.  Not the best resolution for the problem but it works.

You are going to have to install version 8.2.3.  This was not the easiest thing to do as there is not a straight install for that version.  You have to install 8.2 which wll crash a lot when you first try to open it, and then upgrade to 8.2.3.  One problem we experianced though is if you are using roaming profiles you will haveto delete the ADOBE folder out of everyones profiles as it still tries to connect to 9.3.  Once you delete this folder it clears everything up and the CPU usage issue goes away.

• 9. Re: Terminal Server 2008 R2 - Adobe 9.0 CPU Usage
                          alnmedman Level 1

Have you seen any more issues with the high CPU usage after downgrading to 8.2.3? I am still trying to get the OK with my company on downgrading and knowing you haven't seen any further issues since would be a great help.

• 10. Re: Terminal Server 2008 R2 - Adobe 9.0 CPU Usage
                            Mcguiggan Level 1

No Sir we have not had a single complaint about adobe since I did the upgrade.   Everything has worked great.

• 11. Re: Terminal Server 2008 R2 - Adobe 9.0 CPU Usage
                              alnmedman Level 1

Thanks for your help. Downgrading to adobe 8.2.3 has fixed the CPU Thread Usage problem on our systems as well.

• 12. Re: Terminal Server 2008 R2 - Adobe 9.0 CPU Usage
                                azza2u

Just adding here in the hope it might help someone in the future.  The high CPU usage occurs because you are using redirected Application Data folders in your Terminal Services/RDS/Citrix environment.  As of v9.x (and maybe 8.6) Adobe state (hidden in the release notes) that redirected AppData folders are no longer supported.  I've tested versions from 9.0 to 9.3.3 so far and they all exhibit this behaviour.

From my reading around the web it looks like people have suggested that when Reader starts it checks it has write access to not only the AppData\Adobe folder, but also to the root of the AppData path.  In most cases this is a server name as part of a UNC path and the check will fail.  I have also tested redirecting by GPO to a mapped drive (the users homedrive on H:\) but the path gets expanded to the full UNC path when being parsed by the app so the same CPU consumption seems to happen.

Only fixes I've seen work are downgrading to a prior version (prior to 8.6 according to some on the web), or stopping the AppData folder redirection and setting it back to be part of the profile path. When stopping AppData redirection I have also set the AppData folder to be excluded from the roaming profile via GPO, and use a Profile Management tool (e.g. Flex or Citrix Profile Management) to copy only the relevant parts of AppData to the network in an effort to prevent negatively impacting logon times too much.

Hope this helps.

Azza.

• 13. Re: Terminal Server 2008 R2 - Adobe 9.0 CPU Usage
                                  Mcguiggan Level 1

Just to let everyone know I have downloaded and tried Reader 9.4 and it does NOT fix this issue.

So is it still Adobe support staff positio that they will not support their product on terminal servers?  That is acually a very bad response.

• 14. Re: Terminal Server 2008 R2 - Adobe 9.0 CPU Usage
                                    sachinbalkavde

After some trial and error I found out the high CPU was caused by the Adobe Reader messages!

Adobe Reader messages are displayed in the start up window as shown in the screenshot below.

http://www.eversity.nl/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/20121407_1.png

uckily, these Adobe Reader messages can be disabled.

In Adobe Reader go to Edit > Preferences and click on the category General
                                    Uncheck the option Show me messages when I launch Reader
                                    While you are it, also uncheck (if checked) the option Don’t show messages while viewing a document

As shown in the screenshot below.

http://www.eversity.nl/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/20121407_2.png

When restarting Adobe Reader, the Reader messages aren’t shown anymore: