5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2010 11:08 AM by the_wine_snob

Howto: best way to remove audio

digitalJE5U5

Ok, so I need some help with something that seems like it should be extremely simple.  I have a video/audio clip and I need to replace the audio in 4 small sections of the larger clip.

Using the razor blade on the audio is how I am doing it now, but its so permanant (obviously) and I am afraid that if i clip too much and need to adjust in the future, I have to start all over.

I tried adjusting the audio level using key points but I couldnt get that to work.  It wants to lower the audio level gradually, whereas I need it to cut immediately.  Then come back up to normal level.

Please help.  There has to be a simpler way to do this without cutting up the audio clip into a dozen pieces.

Thanks,

//digital

• 1. Re: Howto: best way to remove audio
          the_wine_snob Level 9

If you do not need to do the Cuts, for the Video, you can just use Keyframes on the Audio, and can instantly drop the Volume over the course of one Frame (basically 1/30th sec.). Hint: when you go to add your Keyframes, zoom the view of the mini-Timeline way in, and set your Keyframe, then hit the cursor arrow key to advance 1 Frame, and set another Keyframe. Adjust this to the desired level of attenuation. If you are NOT zoomed in, the Keyframes will seem to be atop each other, and hard to get the cursor onto. Now, you can still use the Keyframe advance button, but it is so much easier to work in the zoomed in view, IMHO. No need to Cut the Audio.

You can still do it with the Cuts (just do it for the Audio Track - Target it), and then in the "pieces" that you wish to attenuate, drag the yellow-orange "rubberband" way down in that segment of the Clip. Hint: Show Volume Keyframes will need to be set in the Audio Track Header (should be by default).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Howto: best way to remove audio
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Just drag down the volume on those clips to minus infinity and they are muted. If you only want to do that on part of a clip, use razor to limit the clip. Do not use keyframes.

• 3. Re: Howto: best way to remove audio
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Make a copy of the timeline or a segment of the timeline as it was before editing the audio, just incase.

• 4. Re: Howto: best way to remove audio
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                I am afraid that if i clip too much

You can always adjust the end point of a clip in a sequence by simply dragging the end of it.

• 5. Re: Howto: best way to remove audio
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, it is important to note that what you do on the Timeline is ONLY done to the Instance of your original source footage, and that original file is NOT changed in any way - only that Instance of it.

Good luck,

Hunt