10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2010 11:44 AM by the_wine_snob

Crashing/slow Adobe Premiere Elements 8

LevinLevin44 Level 1

Overview of probelm: Newer laptop, recently downloaded Adobe Premiere Elements 8, have uploaded 3 videos, all ranging from around 8-10 minutes, and program constantly quits out (around once every 10 minutes), runs extremely slowly, constantly shows messages saying "Adobe Premiere is running low on memory. Suggest you save your work." Also, once a message saying something about a serious error occuring but I could not read it fast enough before it quit.

Dell Laptop- Latitude E6410

System Details

Genuine Windows 7, 32-bit, no media

Intel Core i5-540 92.53GHz, 3M cache) with Turbo Boost Technology

Microsfot Office Starter 2010

Intel HD Graphics with ExpressCard

3.0GB, DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM, 2 DIMMS

No Intel vPro Technology's advanced management features

320GB 7200rpm Hard Drive

No Modem

Dell Wireless 1501 802.11b/g/n Half Mini Card

We already deleted many programs from the computer that took up space so we could put this on the computer.

-Premiere Program size: 1,878.00MB, next program is Microsoft office at 500.00MB and no other program is even close all under 250.00MB

Already saw an earlier question and preformed some of the very similar tasks that they did.

- I checked for updates, none available.

-Disabeled graphics hardware acceleration

-Enable GPU Playback was already switched off

With a new laptop and not much video being edited, why are we encountering problems so soon? Not a huge computer wizz, so when/if you respond please be detailed in what I would have to do to to fix the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

LevinLevin44

• 1. Re: Crashing/slow Adobe Premiere Elements 8
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First, if you haven't already, go to Premiere Elements Help and select Check for Updates to install the 8.01 patch.

What type of camcorder is your video coming from?

Have you ensured that your project is set up to work with that video format? (This is critical.)

As you add video to your timeline, is there a red line above the clips on the timeline? If so, you need to render your timeline. Rendering will create temporary video from the unrendered video you are adding, greatly improving your playback performance.

Project settings and many other things about the program are explained in my free Basic Training with Premiere Elements tutorials at http://Muvipix.com, a videomaker support site.

• 2. Re: Crashing/slow Adobe Premiere Elements 8
            LevinLevin44 Level 1

1.) Checked for updates, said none were avaiable.

2.) We are using a Sony Handycam HDR-CX550V. Connects fine to premiere, i beleive it shoots in HD quality because when we upload it to youtube it has the sybol up there.

3.) I have edited 3 videos fine in the last 3 days. It has given be error messages, program has froze, and other things, but in the end they have been edited and 2 were brought onto our youtube account even though a few times it quit unexpectadly. We went to the camera store where we purchased BOTH the camera and premiere and he ensured us the 2 would work fine together because we were going to get a Mac and use iMovie but we stayed with the current laptop and got adobe premiere. The project is set up in the NTS- DV (something like that) format where I saw on one of your earlier forums that they should.

4.) All videos have been rendered. I use to use FinalCute Express so this program is easy to use. Progam is very simple and nothing is complicated. I have visited all the tutorials and I can edit fine its just the program seems to not be responding.

In the last 20 minutes, it has come to the point where it wont even work. I have tried to edit my 4th video (about 10 mins long) and it was been sucessfully imported where I located it in a media file on our H:. But, when I drag it into the timeline I know its not rendered but when I do it the program completely freezes and I have to force quit and end now.

LevinLevin44

• 3. Re: Crashing/slow Adobe Premiere Elements 8
              LevinLevin44 Level 1

For more info, the video files I am working with are .mov, .m4v, and .mp4. But its not even the video that is giving me trouble, the program just runs very slowly. If I am on internet explorer, and then go to premiere, part of the website lingers on the screen for awhile, indicating something is acting slowly. Editing has been fine for awhile it just continues to quit which is annoying but I can live with it for the time being, but now even old videos that worked fine yesterday won't even allow me to drag them into the timeline without freezing. Am I in need of an external hard drive or something even after just a few videos?

• 4. Re: Crashing/slow Adobe Premiere Elements 8
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>beleive it shoots in HD quality... NTS- DV (something like that)

Until you know EXACTLY what your camera produces, so you may EXACTLY match your project to the actual files, you will have problems

The FREE http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ will give you information about the file

• 5. Re: Crashing/slow Adobe Premiere Elements 8
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE might give you some tips on setting up your computer for an editing session. For Win7 tips, also see the link to Black Viper's Web page, near the end of that linked thread, as he covers Win7 very well.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Crashing/slow Adobe Premiere Elements 8
                    LevinLevin44 Level 1

I don't have itunes, MS messanger, or bonjour services installed on my computer.

I turned off pop-up blockers.

I guess it really doesn't have anything to do with the computer.

I have been fussing around for awhile now, and I noticed that the .mov, .m4v, and the .mp4 may have worked a little in the past, althought I was getting some trouble from the program, seem to be the problem. I just took around 4 minutes of video from the new camera we purchased and the videos are in a .MTS format. Those were able to be dragged in fine to the timeline, but when i go back and try and do any other of the files before, it freezes again. Although this is unfortunate to see, it just seems that old videos that we did on our old camera can not be updated, so it seems that they need to be left the way they were and for the future I guess the new camera will work fine according to what I am seeing now. The helo has been great thank you so much, and for the time being it doesn't seem to be freezing.

Thanks again,

LevinLevin44

• 7. Re: Crashing/slow Adobe Premiere Elements 8
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you computer is clean, lean and mean. That is a very important step, prior to doing video editing.

Now, how are you setting up your Projects, from New Project?

Those setting should match you source footage perfectly for effective editing. If you are mixing formats/CODEC's, you WILL have issues. The solution there is to do a separate Project for each file type/CODEC, again matching the source footage 100%, and then Export/Share to a format, common to that first batch of source footage. The other is to just convert all other source files to the same format/CODEC as that of the files that you have the majority of, and Import those into a Project that is set up perfectly for that file/CODEC type.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Crashing/slow Adobe Premiere Elements 8
                        LevinLevin44 Level 1

One last question unfortunately.

I was just using ONLY titles to make template subtitles, introduction slides, etc. and as I am doing this, WITH NO VIDEO, an error message comes up saying "a serious error has occured and Adobe Premiere has to shut down. We will attempt to save your current work." What could possibly happen when I am only using titles?

• 9. Re: Crashing/slow Adobe Premiere Elements 8
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

About the only issue with Titler, that I am aware of, is when one launches it, and has a bad, or corrupt font. Titler is very, very sensitive to badly formed, or corrupted fonts, but this normally happens at launch, and not along the way, when using it. If it launches fine, it usually works fine.

Now, when a program crashes, or hangs, there is usually a "breadcrumb trail," left behind. This ARTICLE might be useful for picking out clues from those breadcrumbs.

This ARTICLE, while more for PrPro (PrE's big-brother), might also offer some tips.

Personally, I would look closely at Event Viewer (first linked article) first, and if there is nothing of help there, then look at the latter article.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Crashing/slow Adobe Premiere Elements 8
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is an ARTICLE, that might give you something else to think about. Normally, resource issues yield slightly more specific error messages, but not always.

Also, do you have Windows Indexing running? You can check from My Computer, then click on each HDD, and choose Properties. Down near the bottom, you should see reference to Windows Indexing. It can lock necessary files, while it tries to Index them for faster Searches. I just did an ARTICLE with a bit more background on Windows Indexing in the Tips & Tricks sub-forum.

Just throwing out ideas here, but good luck,

Hunt