5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2010 5:54 PM by Ned Murphy

problem with embed swf in fla

Riff88 Level 1

hallo,

I am trying to embed an SWF into an FLA (My website)

I want to embed an SWF movie on page 4 of my website along with other content.

There are a lot of tutorials on the web, but to be honest, I get so confused, a lof of them have errors so I figured i'd ask here if anyone knows of a good, simple tutorial on how to embed SWF in FLA.

thanks so much.

• 1. Re: problem with embed swf in fla
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If the swf that you want to embed is purely an animation, then you can import it into the fla and use it like you would any movieclip.  You don't want to embed an swf in an fla if that swf has code.  When you run the fla's swf file, it should load the other swf dynamically using actionscript.

• 2. Re: problem with embed swf in fla
            Riff88 Level 1

Thanks for the reply, Ned.

Well, I imported the swf animation onto my FLA webpage. I opened a new layer and imported it onto the stage.

The problem is that all the different parts of the swf file is scrambled all over, with different pieces all over the place, even  when you hit ctrl+enter to test the movie, the parts all over the place.

I want to take that piece of animation and put it say, on page 4 in a specific area, but I just don't know how.

thanks Ned.

• 3. Re: problem with embed swf in fla

Try importing it into the library instead and see what comes in.  There should hopefully be a single movieclip that contains the full animation.  One thing you lose when you import or load external swf's is the stage they live in, so if there is stuff hanging off the stage, it will be visible if the main swf has a larger stage.  In that case you would normally need to mask the loaded swf.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: problem with embed swf in fla
                Riff88 Level 1

I made a quick test -  a small blue background with one white rectangle motion tweening from one side to the other and I saved it (export movie)

I then imported that into the library and the stage again, but it's still broken pieces

I tried to put it on page 4 because that's where i want it but when it comes in it opens up in a new layer, when I right click and mask it, nothing really happens.

what am I supposed to do with the masking?

Thanks, Ned.

• 5. Re: problem with embed swf in fla

The mask would be a separate layer that sits above the layer your animation is in.  So if you right clicked the layer the animation is in and selected mask, then that's not masking it, it turning it into a mask.  What you want to do is create another layer above it and draw a rectangle that would be the same size as the stage of the swf.  Then if you right click that layer it and select mask, the rectangle will be the mask for the anoimation--allowing only what is beneath it to be viewed.

1 person found this helpful