4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2010 5:03 PM by jabloomf1230

Client HATES background

rarelennon

Shot a talking head interview. Great content, but must change the static background. I have AE CS4. The talking head moves an inch here and there in his chair. I know this must be simple, but PLEASE can someone list a workflow. I have Mocha if needed. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Client HATES background
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

It sounds like you have some rotoscoping ahead of you. If it's just a constant shape (like a person's head and shoulders), rotoscoping isn't actually that bad.

• 2. Re: Client HATES background
            rarelennon Level 1

I can motion track the person interviewd with Mocha, but how do I set up the layers in AE with the new background? thanks.

• 3. Re: Client HATES background
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

You just put the new background under the layer with the person. The new background layer will show through in areas that you've made transparent. That's where the rotoscoping comes in. You draw masks around the person to make the old background transparent. Motion tracking is relevant when you want to draw a mask/matte and then have it follow the person as he moves; that prevents you from having to animate the mask vertices themselves very much.

See the link to the rotoscoping section in After Effects Help in my previous message on this thread.

• 4. Re: Client HATES background
                jabloomf1230 Level 1

It's not exactly what are trying to accomplish, but see if this tutorial helps you. I've used it as a guide to replace a blown out sky, using mocha (full version), but I'm sure that it's just as easy with mocha AE. Make sure that your AE composition and your mocha project have identical settings (frame rate, resolution, etc.). mocha AE is probably one of the most underutilized tools in the Adobe suite. It has a steep learning curve, but it is also incredibly powerful.