1 2 Previous Next 44 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2010 1:14 PM by txbonfire

Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5

txbonfire

I have been using PPro2.0 for the last 4 years.  I recently installed PPro CS5 (As a part of CS5 Production Premium).  I have many templates I have created for my videos, which I created with PPro 2.0.  Will I have any issues opening these projects in PPro CS5?

Note: I was told by Adobe Tech Support that I should save the original PPro 2.0 projects in a PPro 2.0 folder then copy the projects in a PPro CS5 folder then edit the latter.....just in case there is a problem.  This did not give me a "warm fuzzy."  Any input?

Also, I read the discussion concerning documentation on CS5 products (the thread concerning CS2 upgrading to CS5 in this folder).  i also posted a message concerning CS5 documentation in the Creative Suite folder.  Bottom line.....since your discussion on this folder, would you still recommend the CiaB PPRo CS5 (since it is now available)?

Thanks so much,

Angela

• 1. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The general advice on this forum has ALWAYS been to complete projects in the version in which they were started, unless you absolutely have to switch to a different version

Making a copy of projects is also a good idea

There is enough different between CS2 and CS5 that an old project may or may not work

• 2. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
            Harm Millaard Level 7

I second John's remarks about finishing a project in the version it was created, but if that is impossible, you have to make an intermediate step.

Update your project to either CS3 or CS4 and then update to CS5.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
              the_wine_snob Level 9

John T.,

Thanks for making mention of making a Copy. Though CS5 will offer to let you rename the Project, when converting (if it will and can), it's always wise to work with copies. This is especially true, as one cannot go backwards, and if the PrPRo 2.0 Project became overwritten after the conversion - there is no going back.

I think that some of the success will depend on the Effects, etc., that are included in the PrPRo 2.0 Projects. Some Effects were eliminated from CS5, but not THAT many, and not any really, really useful one (IMHO), so things should work fine. If not, then try to Import the PrPRo 2.0 Project into an empty one in CS5. If that does not work, then there is probably something getting in the way.

Over the years, Premiere has really been pretty good at allowing one to go one way - up. It has not been perfect, but really pretty good. You just cannot go backwards.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I'll be watching the thread, as I have been using PrPro 2.0 for a very long time and also have many "template" Projects, that would be nice to Open/Import into CS5, when I move up.

• 4. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                txbonfire Level 1

I have no projects to complete.  All of the APP projects I mention are templates for which to create my photo/video montages.  The templates contain the intro and outros and section breaks and title pages.  I would have to have to re-create these templates again.  I do not have CS3 or CS4.  I went directly from PPro 2.0 to PPro CS5.  Any further thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

And any advice on documentation would also be greatly appreciated.  Is Ciab for PPro still the best option?

Take care,

Angela

• 5. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Anglea,

Your "templates" are exactly as mine are - Intros and Closings, that often get reused, or some common Title sequences.

Other than try first Open, and then Import (if Open does not work), with Copies of your PrPro 2.0 Projects, I have nothing else to add.

For what it's worth, I have been very successful in Opening many Pr 6.5 Projects in PrPro 2.0, and those were originally done on the Mac. Nearly 100% success, with the exception of a few 3rd party Transitions and Effects, but PrPro kindly told me what they were, and exactly where they had been used.

I'm X'ing my fingers for you, and please let us know how well it works - should be fine.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                    txbonfire Level 1

Thank you everyone for all of your continued advice and support.  I have upgraded all of my s/w and h/w after the purchase of the new desktop with Windows 7 Pro.  This process has been way more involved that I originally thought and very stressful to say the least.  Yes, any good thoughts you have...please pass them my way.  I pray that all of my Premiere Pro 2.0 and Photoshop CS2 stuff can easily be opened and updated with the CS5 programs.  I plan on veifying this no later than next week and will update this thread.

Take care,

Angela

• 7. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                      txbonfire Level 1

With the CS5 Production Premium bundle, there is a copy of Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 that was installed.  Should I first open my APP2.0 template projects with CS4, save, then open that version with CS5?  Or should I just "go for it" and open the APP2.0 template projects with CS5?

Thanks as always,

Angela

• 8. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Angela,

You could try the immediate route, but I think that forward compatibility is limited to 2 versions.

1.5 -->> CS5 does not work

2.0 -- >> CS5 ????

3.0 -->> CS5 works

4.0 -->> CS5 works

So this is the questionable situation with 3 versions, will 2.0 -->> CS5 work???

Your luck is that CS4 and CS5 happily coexist on the same system.

• 9. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You could try and copy the templates from Pro 2 into CS5 and start a

new project to see if they work.

My Documents/Adobe/Premiere Pro/5/Templates

• 10. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                            txbonfire Level 1

Harm,

So it sounds like you are suggesting that I open my APP 2.0 projects with APP CS4 (since I have it anyway), then open the newly converted projects with CS5....correct?  It can't hurt, I would think....at least it would not be any worse (and maybe even better) than if I were to open the APP 2.0 projects with CS5.

Thanks as always, Angela

• 11. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Since you are going to be working with Copies of your PrPro 2.0 Projects' PRPROJ files, I'd try Opening, or Importing one into CS5 as a test. If that does not work, then try the CS4 to CS5 route.

The oldest Projects that I have Opened fine in PrPro 2.0 have been from Pr 6.5. While that is really only 1.5 versions, if you just count the version numbers, PrPro was totally rewritten from Pr 6.5, so the differences were major. While I have not heard Harm's 2-version suggestion, I seldom doubt Harm, so he might know something that I have just not heard of.

Good luck, and remember - report your success, as I will be doing the same thing fairly soon.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Correct Angela. That would be my suggestion.

• 13. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                                  txbonfire Level 1

Well....things are worse than I realized.  This new computer is giving me such stress.  I have been having issues with my monitor going black for about 1 second (randomly) at least twice per day.  I was hoping it was the monitor.  But today I did some photo editing with Photoshop CS5, and with every action the montior goes black....not good.  So, I will need to troubleshoot this issue first and then tackle my APP2.0/CS5 issue.  Keep me in your prayers!  I will update you on my APP conversion as soon as I can.

Take care,

Angela

• 14. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You need to provide complete details about your computer and all installed hardware and drivers

I will guess that you have a hardware or software configuration problem... or a device driver that needs to be updated

• 15. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

The first two things that I would check, would be the seating of your video card, and then the cable ends at the card and the monitor. It could just be a poor connections, and when signals are being fed, you get a bad connection.

If it does not come down to that - simple, then I completely agree with John T.. The more we know, the more likely that someone here can spot the issue.

You HAVE updated your video driver, haven't you. Most cards ship with versions that are many months old, so updating all drivers should be the first thing that is done, especially with a new box.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                                        txbonfire Level 1

Hi guys....thank you for the advice on the monitor issue.  I was mainly venting about that, because it has nothing to do with the original post.  I am working with HP tech support as we speak.  I mentioned the monitor issue because I need to resolve this first before I can get to the PPro 2.0 vs CS5 issue.  Yes, I have updated the video card driver......thank yall so much for the advice.

I'll keep you posted.

Take care,

Angela

• 17. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                                          txbonfire Level 1

Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know that the problem (concerning my side-bar issue) was the monitor.  I recently purchased the HPE-180t, but I used an LCD widescreen Westinghouse monitor (w/ VGA cable) that my husband no longer needed.  At first, the screen would go black for one second and it would do this up to 4 times per day....totally random.  Then, after I loaded the CS5 Production Premium s/w, I was able to get the screeen to "black out" every time I opened up Photoshop (have not had time to open up the other programs).  Because I now had a consistant way to reproduce my problem, I was doubtful it was the monitor.  But, I was wrong.  I went to Best Buy right after my last message and purchased an HP 2010i, tried it with both the VGA and the DVI-D cables....and no problems found!  Yeah!

So, now that my monitor problem is resolved, I will begin testing the PPro 2.0 / PPro CS5 conversion next week and let you know what happens.

Thank you as always for all of your advice and support,

Angela

• 18. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

You are allowed to vent. We also try to get people up and editing, even if it has zero to do with their Adobe product. Heck, more than half of our replies are on equipment, and then another large percentage are on drivers, etc. for that equipment.

Good luck - if you can't see it, you can't edit it. At least not too well...

Hunt

• 19. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

I see that your husband is just like me - hand-me-downs to wife are usually old, broken computer gear that should be recycled. We don't do it out of meanness, but are just trying to help our wives, and assume that they can 'get by" with items that we no longer need...

Good luck, and please let us know how the PrPro 2.0 Open/Import goes.

Hunt

• 20. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                                                joe bloe premiere Level 5

I have opened three old PPro2 projects with CS5.

The only problem has been a few missing 32bit plugins.

• 21. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Joe,

That is good news, and about what I would expect. Thanks for reporting. It seems that few have tried with PrPro 2.0, or earlier Projects, so there is know a broad base of experiences.

Appreciated,

hunt

• 22. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                                                    joe bloe premiere Level 5

Just for grins I have dredged up two Premiere 7.0 projects,

and three Premiere 1.5 projects to test opening them in CS5.

The only problem I had opening the .pproj files directly into CS5

is one funky cvid-Cinepak by Supermac OpenDML .avi codec that

CS5 doesn't like.  Fortunately, Encoder CS4 didn't mind flipping

the funky files to Lagarith codec for swapping into the CS5 project.

• 23. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Joe,

More interesting and useful observations. To date, the older versions' PRPROJ files, that I have Opened (cannot recall having Imported any, but might have just forgotten), the only issues have been with a few 3rd party Effects and Transitions, and one Transition that seemed to have been included in Pr 6.5 Mac, that was not available in PrPro 2.0 PC. Even with those, PrPro 2.0 was excellent at telling me what was missing, and where (exactly), and even gave me a bit of info, so I could replace that/those with something comparable. I still find that a nice touch.

Luckily, all of those Projects had no CODEC issues, as all the MOV files were using the Animation CODEC, so they worked perfectly on my PC.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 24. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                                                        txbonfire Level 1

Hi guys,

I have not yet opened my old projects with CS4/CS5.  The next item on my list, before I get to the APP2.0/APP CS5, is to make sure my old Photoshop files are able to be opened with CS5.  The reason I mention it here is because I have an issue which may affect my APP CS2 projects.  When opening CS2 Photoshop projects in CS5, I find that most of my fonts are missing in CS5.

This really worries me because when I do a video project, I have consistant fonts for my APP and related Photoshop projects (menu, case, label).  Most of my Photoshop templates contain fonts that are not supported in CS5.  I would have to go through dozens of APP and PS templates to change fonts and attributes of fonts.  My question is...Can I somehow import these fonts into CS5?

I have asked this specific question in the Photoshop forum, but wanted to ask it here as well in case you had some information.  I apologize for posting the same question in two locations, but I did not know if you guys would see my Photoshop post.  You guys on this forum folder really know your stuff.  I know that if anyone would know the answer to this simple question, you guys would.

Here is my original post for the missing fonts in Photoshop CS5: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/678718?tstart=0

If it is incorrect for me to mention this issue in two places, please let me know.

Thanks so much,

Angela

• 25. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Angela,

You might want to survey your old system for fonts. Their locations might vary, by how you install and store them.

In Windows, you will have a font folder for all installed fonts. Besides that, I have a C:\Fonts folder with PS_Fonts, TT_Fonts, _OTF_Fonts, etc., and then use Extensis Suitcase to load up fonts that I need by the job, where most are not initially installed on my system. In the case of programs that install fonts (Adobe programs often do, and now most/all are OTF fonts, I move those to my Fonts\OTF_Fonts folder for easy migrating, etc.

In you old system, just make a DVD-Data (or maybe a CD-Data), with copies of your fonts. Install the ones that you use frequently, and consider a font manager to load needed ones on the fly. The free FontFrenzy gets good marks, but do not know if it works on a 64-bit OS. Last time that I migrated fonts, I needed a DVD-Data, as I had about 21,000, though never have more than about 3,000 installed at any one time.

In PS, you can Update fonts, and can replace existing ones, with similar fonts. In your case, I would definitely make sure to have the main fonts also loaded on the new computer.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 26. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                                                            txbonfire Level 1

Hunt,

The advice I got from the Adobe Photoshop forum was to go to my old computer (Windows XP) and grab the fonts from C:\Windows\Fonts to load onto CD/DVD.  Then copy needed fonts into the C:\Windows\Fonts folder of the new computer (Windows 7 Pro 64-bit).

After I copy the "missing fonts" to the new computer, will I need to do anything with the specific applications?  Or will the added fonts just show up when I open the application?

When you say "make sure you have the main fonts loaded on the new computer"...what exactly do you mean?  Are there other fonts that may be missing that should be there?

Thanks so much for your advice!

Angela

• 27. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

When properly installed in the OS, most applications can access them directly.

When I referred to the "main fonts," I meant those that you commonly use for your Titles, etc.. If you are like me, you have a few dozen that are the "main fonts," that are likely to appear in the vast majority of Titles, except maybe "main" Titles, and the like - there, I might be using a bit more of a "display font."

In my case, doing a bunch of print work, I also have folders in Extensis by client and even by job, so that if I go back to those, i just grab my appropriate folder, load those fonts up, and happily edit away.

Good luck, and sorry for the confusion,

Hunt

• 28. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                                                                txbonfire Level 1

Update for another side-issue.....

I was able to install fonts from my XP machine to my Win7 machine and therefore do not have to re-design my Photoshop templates, which also affect my PPro templates (wrt the fonts).  More info can be found here....http://forums.adobe.com/message/2968197#2968197

I will update you guys on the APPro2.0 to APProCS5 conversion soon.  Sounds like it will go well, per the findings of the others.  Thank you all for your input!

Take care,

Angela

• 29. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Angela,

Thank you for the update. I had dropped into the PS forum thread earlier, and just wanted to make sure that you have the fonts installed in Win7. Looking over the responses, I think that John J, Dec9 and others had pointed you into the right direction. As a few things have changed with Win7's font installation, I did not want to bring in the "old-fashioned" way of doing it, pre-Win7.

Good news and good luck, keep the thread updated with your successes, please,

Hunt

• 30. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                                                                    txbonfire Level 1

Hi everyone,

Today I was able to test the opening of an APP2.0 project into APP CS5.  I have a major issue and need your advice.

Note: I did not first open my APP2.0 projects with APP CS4 because I do not have APP CS4 installed (mistake on my part).

The project template is very simple.....Intro and outro animations (both avi), then title pages (opened fine after installing proper fonts) and section break animations (mov files utilizing alpha channel).

I linked each asset when prompted.  Everything loaded fine EXCEPT my mov files.  When trying to link or re-import these assets, I get a pop-up error message that says:

"File Import Failure...The file has no audio or video streams."

I use a ton of these alpha channel mov files (as opposed to the chroma key avi files).  Does CS5 not support alpha channel mov files?

Thanks (and HELP!!!),

Angela

• 31. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                                                                      txbonfire Level 1

It looks like my main issue is that QuickTime will not play mov files from a particular drive.

I have a separate 500GB external hard drive where my templates and animations are located.  When I try to open an mov file with QuickTime, I get the following:

"Error -43: A file could not be found:

I googled the cause for this error and saw that it may occur when either the file or the disk is named in such a way that QuickTime does not like.  An example of a folder that contains mov files is as follows:

A:\AC Business  - Project Templates and Files\Background_Animated\DH_AlphaMattes_VolA

I copied one of my mov files onto my desktop (locted on a separate drive) and it played fine with QuickTime.  I then created the same path on my C: drive and had no problems playing an mov file with QuickTime.

Any ideas of what QuickTime does not like about where this file is located?  There is something about my A: drive that QuickTime does not like. 

Any advice is appreciated!

Angela

• 32. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                                                                        txbonfire Level 1

One more note....

When my APP CS5 would not originally recognize the .mov files, I realized that I had not yet installed QuickTime on the new computer.  When I did install QuickTime, the .mov files are now recognized by APP CS5 and play fine within that program.

The side problem now is that the .mov files will not play independently with QuickTime on my 500GB internal drive (A:), which is separate from my C: drive containing programs and OS.  If you have any ideas on the resolution to this side issue, I would truly appreciate it.

I have to preview my .mov alpha channel files before I import them into APP CS5.  So, this issue causes a great inconvenience.

Take care,

Angela

• 33. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                                                                          txbonfire Level 1

MOV issue resolved.  The problem was the name of the drive.  I asked a Microsoft friend for advice and he suggested renaming the drive from A: to something else, saying that A: was usually reserved for the outdated floppy drive.  I renamed the drive from A: to P: and now my .mov files will play with either Windows Media Player and QuickTime.

I also opened the APP CS5 project I had been testing with, and I did not even have to relink my assets!

I will call this case "closed' with the following summary:

1. Make a copy of all older projects.

2. You can open an APP 2.0 project with APP CS5 (APP will automatically create a copy of the new project, keeping the original name for the older version).

3. Make sure that all need fonts are installed in C:\Windows\Fonts

4. Make sure that QuickTime is installed on your computer.

5. Make sure that no drives, internal or external, are assigned to A:.  If .mov files are in a drive with the name "A:" then the .mov files will not be played with QuickTime or Windows Media Player.

Thanks for all your advice!

Angela

• 34. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                                                                            txbonfire Level 1

Hi Everyone,

My latest "side issue" with the MOV files has a new twist.  I wanted to post it on this thread to see if any of you have experienced this issue.

SYSTEM CONFIG:

HPE-180t, Windows 7 Pro (64bit), Nvidia GeForce GT 220, Intel Core i7-930 quad-core CPU @ 2.80 GHz, 8GB of RAM

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:

1. When I first brought up my new computer (HPE-180t) and installed Windows 7 Professional and then my Adobe software (July 2010), my APP CS5 was unable to recognize mov files.  The solution to this problem was to install QuickTime and to rename my folder (in which the mov files were located) from A: to P:.  At this point, my mov files could be played with either Windows Media Player (version 12) or QuickTime Player.

2. Yesterday, I received and downloaded an update for the QuickTime Player, and the new version is 7.6.7.

3. Now, I can only play my mov files with the Windows QuickTime Player.  When I try to play mov files with Windows Media Player, I get the error message "Windows Media Player cannot play the file.  The player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

4. I also looked up a doc titled "Multimedia file type that Windows Media Player supports" (support.microsoft.com/kb/316992) and it said for mov files that "Only QuickTime file versions 2.0 or earlier can be played in Windows Media Player.  Later versions of QuickTime require the proprietary Apple QuickTime Player."

5. I also looked under the "Help" for my Windows Media Player (version 12) and it did list mov files as a supported file type, with the following note:

"Some video file types might not be supported when viewed on a Media Center Extender device.  for example, some Extenders don't support AVCHD files or Apple QuickTime files."

- I do not think this applies to my system as I am unaware of any "Media Center Extender devices."

QUESTION:

1. Why did the upgrade of QuickTime Player cause Windows Media Player (version 12) to be unable to play mov files?

2. Should I correct this issue?   If so, how?

Thanks,

Angela

• 35. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Angela,

It is most likely that the new QT 7.6.7 just does not work with Adobe apps. I would roll back to whatever previous version worked for you.

Going back, 7.5.3 and 7.5.4, IIRC, did not work well with Adobe apps. Then, 7.5.5 came out, and seemed to work for everyone, or nearly so. Out came 7.6.2 and 7.6.3 and they seldom worked with Adobe apps. The 7.6.6 version seemed to be quite good for most. It is a strong possibility that 7.6.7 is as bad as some of those others. The Apple QT site has links to older versions, but you do need to poke around.

I am still on 7.5.5, as it is MY "last known good" version.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 36. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                                                                                txbonfire Level 1

Hunt,

The only thing that seems to be "broken" is Windows Media Player.  Before this upgrade to QuickTime 7.6.7, my Windows Media Player 12 could play mov files.  After the upgrade, my Windows Media Player can no longer play mov files.  Fortunately, Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 still recognizes the mov files.  Should I still revert back to a previous version of QuickTime?

Take care,

Angela

• 37. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Angela,

That is good to know. Hope that a roll-back works for you. I was afraid that Apple was up to the anti-Adobe "stuff" again. Let us hope not.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I was afraid that my last post might not have made it up, as it seemed that the fora crashed, just as I hit Post Reply. Maybe that outage was just for me?

• 38. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                                                                                    txbonfire Level 1

Hunt,

I may just leave well enough alone and not revert back to 7.6.6 quite yet.  Maybe QuickTime will come out with an update which will resolve the issue.  If the issue persists, or if it gets worse, then I will revert back to QuickTime 7.6.6.  If I do revert back, is it just a matter of installing the 7.6.6 version of QuickTime, or should I uninstall my current version first?

Thanks so much,

Angela

p.s. I was having issues with the Adobe forum site earlier today....it was very slow.

• 39. Re: Opening old PPro 2.0 projects in CS5
                                                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I understand. I use WMP so seldom, that I am not sure that I'd even know if it got broken...

Good luck,

Hunt

1 2 Previous Next