5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2010 8:00 PM by Harm Millaard

Power supply ...symptoms

shooternz Level 6

What would be the observable (not measureable) symptoms of a power supply with an under capacity?

• 1. Re: Power supply ...symptoms
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Random crashes, hangs, stalls and other weird problems.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Power supply ...symptoms
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In the "weird problems" category... I think "snow" in the video COULD be caused by a failing power supply

For example... not computer, but similar

We use X10 controls for lighting, and had a recent "failure to operate" 'cause our refridgerator was going bad and the motor and/or controls were putting "noise" on the electric line... said noise was blanking out the X10 signals

I don't have a scope to look at the house power, but I'm sure that if I did have one, the usually clean sine wave of 60hz power would have been FUZZY with all the 'fridge noise

Something like that in a computer can cause all sorts of problems

• 3. Re: Power supply ...symptoms
              shooternz Level 6

I am getting the occassional "sleepy" state requiring the timeline to require "awakening".

I think I will now throw in a bigger PSU as Harm recommended some time ago when I did my build.

Always had the intention of doing so anyway.

EDIT: Purchased a CoolerMaster 850w unit. (Super Silent)  will fit it once I clear 3 deadline critical projects early this week.  Will report if it makes a difference in regard to the instance mentioned above.

Message was edited by: shooternz

• 4. Re: Power supply ...symptoms
                shooternz Level 6

FX3800 - max power consumption. = 108watts  (Previously I was unable to find this figure and put it into the Calculator).

How does that compare with other video cards?

What sort of overhead is desireable in a PSU?

• 5. Re: Power supply ...symptoms
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

This is my approach:

eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Pro v2.5

If you don't have it yet, get the Pro version. It is peanuts. Then log-in and fill out all your components, including disks, burners, fans, etc. Then set CPU load to 100% and capacitor aging to 30%. Calculate and for safety add 10 - 15 % to the number. Take note of the requirements per rail, as not all PSU's can deliver the required power on the individual rails, but appear OK with regards to the total.

1 person found this helpful