5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2010 11:46 AM by HeroicNate

Motion paths cause serious performance hit.. Help! AE CS4

GhostNate

I'm on After Effects CS4 on a win7 home 64-bit, 3ghz quad core, 6gig ram, ati 5870, desktop system. When using after effects I noticed that just doing small animations like moving a square across the screen was obscenely difficult due to the computer seemingly not being able to keep up with just moving the square around. I narrowed the problem down to motion paths killing the performance. If I turn off the display of motion paths everything runs smoothly, but obviously I can't see my animation paths. Anyone know why this is happening or a way to fix it? It's very discouraging.

• 1. Re: Motion paths cause serious performance hit.. Help! AE CS4
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

How long do you set their display? Never had any issues with the default 15 seconds, buit of course more keys would take longer to evaluate and draw. Still, most likely this is simply an OpenGL overlay drawing problem, so turning off OpenGL in AE and fiddling with your graphics driver settings is certainly worth spending a few minutes...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Motion paths cause serious performance hit.. Help! AE CS4
            HeroicNate Level 1

I had it at the default, then I tried just 2 keyframes, then I turned it off. As to your openGL suggestion, turning it off totally fixed the speed issue. If the openGL is off, i can use the motion paths. I could only find a triple buffer option in my driver options and that didn't change anything. Right now I'm running off ati catalyst 10.5.

I don't know what benefits openGL would give me, but I'm pretty happy with the speedier non opengl. Maybe it's an ati driver problem.

THANKS for the help man!

Oh yeah, this is still GhostNate, apparently I forgot the account login or something. I'm not sure how the names got all confused.

• 3. Re: Motion paths cause serious performance hit.. Help! AE CS4
              HeroicNate Level 1

I've also noticed something odd where if motion paths are turned on(even if openGL is off) and I click to select and move things around in the preview panel, there's like a half second delay. I can click the layers in the timeline and everything is instantly responsive in preview, but if I try to work directly in the preview window there's always a short delay. If I turn off the motion paths, the delay goes away.

• 4. Re: Motion paths cause serious performance hit.. Help! AE CS4
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Delays may be due to spefic effects that need to update because you are working at a different time from the comp time. This can trigger mutual updates of the comp window and vice versa, especially if temporal effects or belnding operations (transparencies, masks, blending modes) are infolved. Same for pre-comped layers etc. With compressed footage you may see delays, if the app needs to reconstruct the current frame and it is not yet cahed in memory... Take your pick, but it should not be something to worry about.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Motion paths cause serious performance hit.. Help! AE CS4
                  HeroicNate Level 1

It's irritating, not worrysome. The delays happen just for drawing simple motion paths. I literally am testing just by drawing a square and moving it around. but whatever, thanks for the help.