Level 7
      Hi All,

I'm doing a very very small mailing to business prospects which include
      a link to my website for more info. I want to know if there is a way to
      track who has clicked on the link and visited the website. Again, this
      is very small time, maybe 20 emails a week. I have looked at my site
      stats and I can glean a little from there, but so many of the IP
      addresses don't offer any clue about whether or not the visitor was a
      chance encounter or whether they are visiting as a result of my email.
      Is there any code that can be put in an email that will notify me when
      someone clicks my website link?

Any help would be appreciated. BTW, I can't use MailChimp because I
      don't have specific email permission from the addressee's.

Thanks,

Brett
        • 1. Re: Code to track a link click in email?
          joeq Level 1
          look at www.statcounter.com
          • 2. Re: Code to track a link click in email?
            Level 7
            joeq,

Thanks for the link. I can't tell from looking at the site if this is
            something that can be embedded in the email itself. Also, I don't want
            it to get picked up as spam or worse as a potential virus. Can you tell
            me your experience if any?

Brett
            • 3. Re: Code to track a link click in email?
              Level 7
              Hi Brett:

You could do what I do, and make a copy of my index page and give it a
              different name (tied to the ad)
              and use a link to that page in the ad.

Customary web stats tell me who arrived at the site via that page.

"Brett" <nospam@address.withheld> wrote in message
              news:f97ovf$r8v$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Hi All,
              >
              > I'm doing a very very small mailing to business prospects which include a
              > link to my website for more info. I want to know if there is a way to
              > track who has clicked on the link and visited the website. Again, this is
              > very small time, maybe 20 emails a week. I have looked at my site stats
              > and I can glean a little from there, but so many of the IP addresses don't
              > offer any clue about whether or not the visitor was a chance encounter or
              > whether they are visiting as a result of my email. Is there any code that
              > can be put in an email that will notify me when someone clicks my website
              > link?
              >
              > Any help would be appreciated. BTW, I can't use MailChimp because I don't
              > have specific email permission from the addressee's.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Brett

• 4. Re: Code to track a link click in email?
                Level 7
                Ken,

Thanks for the idea, that may work for me as well.

Brett
                • 5. Re: Code to track a link click in email?
                  joeq Level 1
                  you can just put the statcounter code in the code of your email....the same way you would in any other page. either that or put it in the code of the pages that are linked to from the email.

as an aside, you say you can't use mailchimp b/c you don't have permission to send email to these people. are you sure this is the best business model? i would imagine your open/click-thru rates would be a lot higher if your emails went to people who were somehow prequalified as being interested in hearing from you...
                  • 6. Re: Code to track a link click in email?
                    Level 7
                    joeq,

Thanks again for the reply, I'll do as you say and include it in my email.

"your open/click-thru rates would be a lot higher if your emails
                    went to people who were somehow prequalified as being interested in hearing
                    from you"

You are right of course. I have pre-qualified them by researching trade
                    associations, online directories, and other means. But as far as having
                    their "explicit" permission to email them, I don't have that, and that
                    is what MailChimp requires according to my reading of their terms.

Again, thanks for the info.

Best,

Brett
                    • 7. Re: Code to track a link click in email?
                      joeq Level 1
                      you might consider putting a little text field and submit button on your site to invite people to sign up for your mailing list for future mailings.

as a point of comparison, all the people on my list have opted in to receive my emails and i STILL only get a click rate of roughly 50% and an open rate of roughly 12% (which, by mailchimp's guidelines, is pretty darn good). point being, it's really hard to get people to open your emails...harder still when they haven't asked for them in the first place.

that said, i wish you the best of luck.
                      • 8. Re: Code to track a link click in email?
                        Level 7
                        joeq,

> it's really hard to get people to open your emails...harder still when
                        > they haven't asked for them in the first place

Such is the nature of cold calling. If I have done my research properly
                        and identified my prospects based on whether they would benefit from my
                        product or service, chances are slightly better that they will read my
                        email and visit my site. I just need a way to track what subject line,
                        content, and any inline images impact the click/visit rate. It
                        certainly is not foolproof, but like any other sales campaign, it is a
                        numbers game, which is why spammers do it. But where I use a scalpel,
                        spammers use a nuclear blast. Unfortunately, spammers have made it much
                        more difficult for people like me who do proper research to determine
                        the appropriateness of any solicitation.

Thanks for the input, gotta get back to the treadmill...

Brett