24 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2010 6:02 PM by BrianTao RSS

InDesign CS5 crashes when clicking on Edit menu or context menu

BrianTao Community Member

I had this infuriating problem with InDesign CS4, found a few references to others having the same issue, but never any real solutions.  This problem seems to in InDesign CS5 as well.

With a document open, if I click the Edit menu or right-click anywhere in the document window (including in the pasteboard area... it does not have to be on an object), ID immediately freezes and I get the Windows 7 "Adobe InDesign CS5 has stopped working" dialog.

I've deleted the preferences, created a brand new one-page document, and the problem persists.  If no document is open, I can pull down the Edit menu just fine.  With a document open, ID crashes before it even draws the menu.  It does not matter whether I use the mouse or the keyboard to get to the Edit menu.  I can also right-click on things like palette tabs to bring up the context menu.  But I cannot right-click anywhere on the document itself without ID crashing.

The maddening thing is that the problem did not show up until some time today.  I've brought up an object's Effects window via right-click plenty of times, as well as used the Fitting context menu.  It was working fine last night and earlier this morning.  Then suddenly for no discernible reason, the crashes started happening.  I am not aware of any changes to my system that might reasonably cause this.  No new fonts, no Windows updates, no Adobe updates.

Any suggestions on how else I can troubleshoot this?

• 1. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes when clicking on Edit menu or context menu
          Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

If you edit the default paragraph style and change the font, and change the default font in the character panel, with nothing open, does it persist in a new doc with no content?

• 2. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes when clicking on Edit menu or context menu

Peter,

Yes, I can bring up the Paragraph Styles and the Character palettes with no document open, edit the [Basic Paragraph] style to change the font family, then open a blank document, and new text boxes will use that font.

I'm on a bit of a deadline right now, so I ended up uninstalling ID CS5 and reinstalling it.  I can now successfully bring up the Edit menu and the right-click context menu both in a blank document and in the document I was working on before.  I'm sure the problem will reappear again at some random point in the future, so I am still looking for fixes that don't involve reinstalling the app.

BTW, I have tried exporting my work document to IDML and re-importing it, but to no avail.  I've also tried toggling Dynamic Spelling (past threads have suggested this as a possible fix), but also to no avail.

It would be really nice if Adobe products produced some sort of crash dump or bug report when this sort of thing happens...

• 3. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes when clicking on Edit menu or context menu
              Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

The purpose of the test was to see if the default font might be corrupt since you said the problem appeared in a new doc as well.

• 4. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes when clicking on Edit menu or context menu

Whoops, spoke too soon.  I opened the document I was working on, and confirmed that the Edit menu and context menu show up fine, after the reinstall.  I then proceeded to reconfigure my palettes, as their locations and settings were lost when I deleted the preferences file earlier.  I then went to the Edit menu to bring up the Preferences dialog to check something.  Crash! So something happened in the meantime, without changing anything in the document and within the same invocation of InDesign.  All I did was move palettes around, dock them to each other, changed various palette options, etc.

Of course, since ID crashed, it did not save any of my palette configuration changes.  When I restarted ID, the palettes were back to their original positions, but I was again able to bring up the Edit and context menus.

• 5. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes when clicking on Edit menu or context menu

Peter,

Ah, I see!  I had changed it from Myriad Pro to Droid Sans, just as a random test.  It does not seem to make a difference.

• 6. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes when clicking on Edit menu or context menu
                    Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

Starting to sound like a corrupt workspace. Are you trying to use one of the defaults, or a custom space?

• 7. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes when clicking on Edit menu or context menu

I am using the Essentials workspace, with modified palette locations and options.  Since deleting the preferences, I have not changed any of the default settings, other than View -> Display Performance -> High Quality Display.  All keyboard shortcuts and menu configurations are at whatever defaults ship with a fresh install of InDesign.

• 8. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes when clicking on Edit menu or context menu
                        Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

You have to tell ID to remove your old prefs and workspaces when you uninstall or it leaves them there for the next time. Close ID, then go to to your user profile and delete anything in the Workspaces folder that says current workspace.xml in the name, then restart ID. That will reset all the workspaces to their default conditions.

• 9. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes when clicking on Edit menu or context menu

Hrm, I just noticed that one of my custom workspaces still shows up in the menu.  I am not using it at the moment, but it appears to have survived a preferences reset, deleting the InDesign cache files (in C:/Users/taob/AppData/Local/Adobe/InDesign/Version 7.0/), and a reinstall.  I thought all the user settings were removed too, but I guess not.

• 10. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes when clicking on Edit menu or context menu

Peter,

Thanks!  Next time this problem happens, I'll try moving the Workspaces folder out of the way to see if that improves anything.  If it really does have something to do with the workspace configuration, I should be able to see what differences there are in the XML files.

• 11. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes when clicking on Edit menu or context menu
                              Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

Resetting prefs does not affect workspaces, KB shorcut sets, scripts, or find/change queries which are stored in your profile.

• 12. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes when clicking on Edit menu or context menu
                                Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

So did getting rid of the current workspace configurations fix it?

• 13. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes when clicking on Edit menu or context menu

Peter,

Unknown.  The crashes disappeared after I reinstalled InDesign.  I was able to complete the project earlier tonight without any further incident, all the while having the existing workspaces (carried over from the previous install, and from ID CS4 before that) still in place.  So I don't think the workspace configuration has anything to do with the problem.  I'll try temporarily resetting my ID user profile bits the next this problem comes up to see if it has any effect.

• 14. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes when clicking on Edit menu or context menu

Peter,

The crashes started happening again tonight.  I tried deleting all the "*-CurrentWorkspace.xml" files from my Workspaces folder, and even move the entire folder out of the way (then confirmed that InDesign created a new, empty Workspaces folder).  No effect.  The crashes continue to occur.  Again, this is on a document that did not exhibit this problem in the past, so I don't think it is related to the document itself.

It was working fine earlier in the evening.  At some point, something changed to cause InDesign to crash every time I try to pull down the Edit menu or right-click in the document window for the context menu.  I did resize some palettes and added the Tool Info palette.  I changed some of my object and paragraph styles, then saved the document I was working on.  That's about it.

Any other suggestions?  I don't suppose there is a way to enable some sort of debug or crash dump mode in InDesign?

• 15. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes when clicking on Edit menu or context menu

The crashes just mysteriously stopped now, after about eight crashes in a row. Here are my actions, and whether the crashes still occurred after each action:

Remove all "_CurrentWorkspace.xml" files:  crash

Remove Workspaces folder:  crash

Disable Live Display:  no crash

Restore Workspaces folder:  no crash

Enable Live Screen Drawing ("immediate"):  no crash

So now I have effectively come full circle, and am now back at the exact configuration from an hour ago, except now ID does [i]not[/i] crash if I pull down the Edit menu or the context menu.  This makes no sense.

• 16. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes when clicking on Edit menu or context menu
                                        Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

I'm pretty mystified here now, too. It's possible the base workspace you've been using is corrupt, but I've never seen that except with a custom space, and it doesn't sound like you've saved the custom space.

• 17. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes when clicking on Edit menu or context menu

It might still be related to the current workspace, but in such a way that seemingly trivial changes (e.g., position of a palette, visibility of a panel, etc.) can trigger a crash.  I can probably get Windows to capture a crash dump from InDesign, but it likely won't be useful unless Adobe happened to leave debugging symbols in the shipping executable.  Not that it matters, since it does not seem that anyone from Adobe actually monitors these forums...

• 18. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes when clicking on Edit menu or context menu
                                            Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

Well, it is a USER forum, but we see a few Adobe employees from time to time. They actually do lurk in the background even if they aren't posting.

Are you using one of the predefined workspaces or a worksapce you saved with a new name? I've had some issues with an old workspace I tried to bring in from CS4 and ultimately I abandoned it and rebuilt from scratch.

• 19. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes when clicking on Edit menu or context menu
                                              Phorna Community Member

Hello Brian,

do you have Open Office installed on the same machine?

• 20. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes when clicking on Edit menu or context menu

Yes, I have OpenOffice 3.2.1 installed, usually with at least two spreadsheet windows open.  Is there a suspected conflict between InDesign and OpenOffice?

• 21. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes when clicking on Edit menu or context menu
                                                  Phorna Community Member

Brian,

I noticed when I have Open Office started sometimes my InDesign crashes exactly the same way as you described. Because programs work in secured memory space I figured out that the only one thing that conects them is clipboard.

Sometimes if you ctrl+c some OO spread sheet, by accesing InDesign edit menu or content menu, InDesign crashes at once. In edit & content menus there is "paste" command. InDesign checks clipboard (I suppose it does) and some Open Office content in there makes it crash.

This is how I see it.

• 22. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes when clicking on Edit menu or context menu

Yes, that makes sense, Phorna. Thank you! I have confirmed that this is indeed the case on my system.  For some reason, copying even just a single cell from OpenOffice Calc will cause InDesign to crash if I attempt to then bring up the Edit menu, the document context menu, or attempt to paste the contents into an InDesign doc.  Every other application I've tried does not have an issue with the clipboard contents.  Even Photoshop CS5 will happily paste in a bitmap of the spreadsheet cells, all formatting intact.  This would strongly suggest the problem is with InDesign rather than with OpenOffice or elsewhere.  I believe this bug has been present since at least IDCS3 (the first version I've used, and noticed the problem).

Now to submit a bug report and cross my fingers that this bug will be fixed...

• 23. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes when clicking on Edit menu or context menu
                                                      Unity2k Community Member

I was just having a problem in ID CS5 that was whittled down to not being able to right click the screen. Reading this forum post it was determined I couldn't click Edit either without ID crashing. Sure enough, I had been working on an Open Office spreadsheet earlier and had cut and pasted three cells containing text. I rebooted my pc and ID is working perfect. After starting and stopping ID a few times I opened a spreadsheet, cut and pasted a few cells, closed Open Office and restarted ID. No more worky. I'll reboot and be happy knowing how to deal with this minor error until Adobe fixes it, but big big thanks to the above exchange for the temporary fix.

• 24. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes when clicking on Edit menu or context menu

Unity2k,

There is no need to reboot when this happens!  You just need to clear the clipboard of any OpenOffice Calc data, and InDesign will stop crashing.  It can be as simple as copying any bit of random text from, say, your web browser or e-mail client.  As long as InDesign does not "see" OpenOffice Calc data on the clipboard, it is fine.  In fact, you could just copy any InDesign object, and you'll be fine.  Of course, rebooting your computer does also clear the clipboard, but that's a bit like using a shotgun to kill a housefly.