4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2010 5:46 AM by JETalmage

Modify a font in illustrator

Shorrtty

Hey everyone.   I imagine there is a simple solution to my question......however I'm just learning illustrator and am having some issues.   I am creating a vinyl wall decal just using text. I'm trying to duplicate the font found on a wine label but I believe the "e" in the attached pic is modified and not an existing font.  I can't seem to get it to look proper.  Any suggestions on how I can do this. 

Shot3.jpg

• 1. Re: Modify a font in illustrator
          Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Find a suitable font using something like http://new.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/. Set your text and then outline the result. Then change the e to look like you want.

• 2. Re: Modify a font in illustrator
            Shorrtty Level 1

thanks Larry

I did find a font very close using the link you provided.  I had tried "creating outlines" and modifying the font myself but couldn't get it to look right.  I was hoping there was a alternative solution.  I'll have to keep trying.

thanks again

• 3. Re: Modify a font in illustrator
              Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try using the image you used above as a guide. Place it on Layer 1 in a new document, Lock the layer. Make a new layer above the existing one and set your type and outline. Position it above the image and switch the outlined type to a stroke only. Use the Direct Select tool (open arrow) to move the anchorpoints of the letters using the image as a guide.

• 4. Re: Modify a font in illustrator
                JETalmage Level 6

Many times, I've provided identity design clients a "LogoFont" to contain spot graphics supportive of their identity marks. I either created from scratch or modified an existing font, depending on what made most sense for the given project.

CorelDraw provides built-in basic ability to do that, right in the drawing program. By contrast, Illustrator still doesn't even provide for using graphics inline with text. (Just one of many, many taken-for-granted capabilities that Illustrator is decades late in providing.)

For those who don't know, FontLab (now owners of Fontographer) has just released a long-awaited update of Fontographer for both Windows and MacOS. Highly recommended for anyone wishing to start creating or modifying fonts. Also for those who don't know, Altsys Fontographer's Bezier drawing engine was actually the progenitor of Aldus (actually Altsys) FreeHand--the program which was Illustrator's competitive thorn-in-the-side for its entire history, and the Bezier interface of which still far surpasses Illustrator's.

JET