• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can you specify the RH version from a command prompt?

Participant ,
Jul 09, 2010 Jul 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using command prompts to generate WebHelp output, is there a way to specify which version of Robohelp will be used?

Here's the situation:

We recently upgraded all of our help projects to RH8, installed RH8 on our software build server, and are now successfully using command prompts to generate RH8 output files (webhelp) during our s/w build process.

However, since the help system for our last major release is still in RH7, we also need to be able to automatically generate output in RH7 using the same build server, which has both versions of the s/w are installed. This is in case we need to send out a patch release before our next major release becomes available.

When we ran the build program for the last software release (the one with the RH7 help system), the command prompts now cause RH8 to run and to generate RH8 output. But since these files are still in RH7 format, the generated output has various issues with lists and templates--basically all the stuff that I spent 2-3 days fixing manually fix when upgrading to RH8.

Anyone know how to control which Robohelp version will run when using command prompts? (using RH8 help files with the last software release is not an option--there have been too many changes).

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2010 Jul 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a feeling that I once tried to change the default version of RoboHelp and it wasn't successful first time. As it was not that important, I didn't poke around any more.

Maybe you could try changing the default version but I wouldn't like to answer for any undesired results you may get. I suspect by far the easier option is to install RH7 on another machine.

One other warning. I do recall that on one machine after uninstalling RH7, I had to reinstall RH8 as it created problems.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 10, 2010 Jul 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Peter. I don't think using another computer will work for us, but hopefully we can get around the problem in another way. If worse comes to worse, we can temporarily uninstall RH8 to allow the RH7 output to be generated. Then reinstall 8 when we're ready to build the next release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp