11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2010 8:49 PM by Jim_Simon

Editing with Fx1000

CDKelly6

I've seen similar posts about this subject but none of them have answered my precise question. I just wanted to know if I am doing the entire process of editing correctly.

First off I am shooting in 24p mode (I know that the fx1000 wraps the 24p in a 60i format) so I am starting with a 1080i/60i  sequence preset.

I then edit the entire video and export in MPEG2.

Here is all the specs I use when exporting:

• Quality: 5
      • Tv Standard: ntsc
      • Frame rate: 23.97
      • Pulldown: None (should I be using 2:3 or 3:2?)
      • Field order: None (Should I be using upper?)
      • Render at maximum depth.
      • Bitrate encoding 1 pass
      • and Frame blending
      • Everything else is the default settings

Basically what I am asking is I am using the best settings to get my 1080/60i video to look like 24p after I export it. Also I notice some slight hiccups in the Mpeg video after it's exported. Is there anyway to get rid of that?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Editing with Fx1000
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Unless you remove the pulldown that's been added, you can't encode (cleanly) to a 23.976p/24p DVD. I don't know exactly how the FX1000 works, but my guess would be that Premiere is not going to let you remove the pulldown properly.

So, you have two options:

1. Forgo the 24p DVD, and export using a 29.97i timebase. That's what the footage is, after all, and will probably give you the cleanest encode. It'll still have the 24p "look."
          2. Drop the source clip(s) in After Effects, select them and go to File > Interpret Footage, and click "Guess 3:2 Pulldown." After Effects will probably be able to deduce the pulldown sequence, and give you a 23.976 clip. If it does, drop the clip on the New Comp button and you'll have a composition that matches the footage; you can export this to an independent file, or you can take the AE comp to Premiere via Dynamic Link. I'm doing this at the very moment with HDV from a Canon HV20, which packages its version of 24p the same way.

Hope that helps somewhat...

• 2. Re: Editing with Fx1000
            Harm Millaard Level 7

I second Colin's first suggestion. Keep in mind that every Hollywood DVD you buy is wrapped in a 50i/60i container.

• 3. Re: Editing with Fx1000
              CDKelly6 Level 1

I do not have After Effects so I can't do option 2.

I know there has to be a way to remove the pull down to get the 60i back to 24p. Any comments on why the videos hiccup a little after they export?

• 4. Re: Editing with Fx1000
                CDKelly6 Level 1

I think I know how to do 60i to 24p now but what should I do about the slight video hiccup? I got to the end of my video and it had ONE slight hiccup in the video. Any tips on how to fix that? Should I render with maximum quality?

• 5. Re: Editing with Fx1000
                  shooternz Level 6
                  I got to the end of my video and it had ONE slight hiccup in the video. Any tips on how to fix that?

Try the 'Hiccup' Filter

• 6. Re: Editing with Fx1000
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

every Hollywood DVD you buy is wrapped in a 50i/60i container.

You know I thought so, too.  Until Dan Isaacs called me on it and I checked several that I own.  Every one of them was genuine 24p.  Seems the DVD player adds the necessary pulldown for normal 30i viewing.

As for the salient question, Premiere will automatically remove the pulldown added when working in a 24p sequence.  So if the OP is editing in a 30i sequence, he should export as such.  But if he edits in a 24p sequence (and I can't think of any reason not to), the export should be 24p.

• 7. Re: Editing with Fx1000
                      CDKelly6 Level 1

Well the sequence I am working in now is 60i because the FX1000 takes the 24p and puts it in 60i. I had zero trouble editing, exporting is my only problem.

• 8. Re: Editing with Fx1000
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

For several reasons I dispute that. The most overriding argument is that with 4 different brands of DVD players that are only interlaced and do not have progressive capability, I have never had a single commercial DVD give trouble. All progressive burned DVD's failed to play on all 4 players. Do you think Hollywood would willingly limit their market potential to only progressive players? Do you seriously think you can go to a shop where you bought a DVD and say, He guys, you sold me a progressive DVD but I need the interlaced version, or vice versa? No way!

For years settop boxes were sold that had no progressive capabilities at all. That was only introduced when stuttering became popular. Dan Isaacs is wrong on this count.

• 9. Re: Editing with Fx1000
                          CDKelly6 Level 1

Is there anymore suggestions?

• 10. Re: Editing with Fx1000
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

Dan Isaacs is wrong on this count.

Check it yourself.  Use Gspot to look at the media from a Hollywood disk.  (If you can.  I don't know how available NTSC disks will be over there.)

My own DVD player is interlaced only.  Has no trouble playing any Hollywood disk or the 24p disks I author myself.  I would assume a good chunk of my clients' players are also interlaced output only, and none have ever come back as unplayable.  If yours did, something else was wrong because all the Hollywood disks I looked at were 24p.  They don't add the actual pulldown, just the flags that tell the player how to add it.

• 11. Re: Editing with Fx1000
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Is there anymore suggestions?

See Colin's first suggestion in post 1.