4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2010 8:42 AM by SJurick

How to build to scale?

SJurick Level 1

Hi.  I've been commissioned to build a tennis court animation which I'll do in After Effects, however I want to build the court to exact specs in Illustrator or Photoshop, but prefer Illustrator.  A standard court is 78' long by 36' wide which is 936" x 432".  Illustrator only allows a max of 227.54" so I need to find a way to get this done.  I'd like to be able to setup the grid to allow me to draw lines at a perfect 2" as well.  How can I go about this?

• 1. Re: How to build to scale?
          Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Use a 1:10 scale making the court 93.6 x 43.2 inches.

• 2. Re: How to build to scale?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

How can I go about this?

Counter-question: What does it matter? In AE you strictly deal in pixels, so as long as the relative proportions are retained, AE couldn't possibly care less if the art was created at a specific scale and you can scale it to fit any time using continuous rasterization without quality loss. You're creating a problem where none exists. You can work at 1/100th scale in a standard A4 document and as far as AE is concerned, the result would still be the same. really, you are creating a problem by overthinking things...

Mylenium

• 3. Re: How to build to scale?
              JETalmage Level 6

Use any vector drawing program other than Illustrator: User-defined drawing scales has been standard fare for decades.

JET

• 4. Re: How to build to scale?
                SJurick Level 1

Hey guys.  Thanks for all the suggestions.  I wound up making it 936px X 423px, where px would represent in.  Turned out great.

To answer the question as to why it matters with regards to AE, you are totally correct.  I just wanted the look of the court to be as accurate as I could get it as I've drawn things before that looked right but when viewed from different angles didn't.

Here's my creation...

tennis-court.png