21 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2010 9:13 AM by magneter

New Graphics & Video Editing Build

magneter Level 1

Hi all,

First I'd like to compliment the many participants of this forum for thier outstanding support and patience. Your combined knowledge is priceless in

helping the less experienced get up to speed.

I've been reading various threads for a few weeks in preparation to build a new Windows 7 64-bit system and I have a few questions of my own

regarding system specs for my uses.

I work with photoshop, illustrator and an old version of Coreldraw for quick layouts, sales flyers, etc. Video editing will be my new sales tool and I'll be producing short (2 to 10 minute) technical and training videos using AVCHD footage shot with 2 HD camcorders.
      I'll be teaching myself PP CS5. Also upgrading to Photoshop CS5.

My budget for this system is flexible $2500 to $4000 with 1 new 27" monitor (not including software)

Slow computers have always annoyed me and I'd like to experiment with overclocking.
      I have not decided yet if I'll be implementing a RAID array. Still researching the variations.

Here's what I've chosen so far in components:

Case: Coolermaster ATCS 840, HAF 932,
                 HAF X or COSMOS S $139.98 to $199.99
      CPU: i7-930 ........... $289.99
      MB: GA-X58A-UD3R ........  $209.99
      RAM: G.SKILL PI Series 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
                        (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7T2-12GBPI
                            (Latency 7, Timing 7-8-7-24-2N) ..... $349.99
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231331&cm_re=cas_latency_8-_-20-2 31-331-_-Product
      Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 ......... $89.99
      GPU: ASUS GTX 470 or 480 .......... $329.99 or $479.99
      Power Supply: CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-1000HX 1000W  .... $189.99
      DVD Burner: LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer SATA iHAS424-98 LightScribe Support .. $23.99
      Monitor: SAMSUNG P2770HD Rose Black 27" 5ms Widescreen LCD ...  $399.99
      OS HD: VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA .. $189.99
      Storage HDs: 4 x SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb ... $299.96
      UPS: CyberPower PP1500SWT2 1500VA 1000W UPS .....  $285.76
      OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Full  ..... $257.99

Extras: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM ... $9.99
      VIZO VIZO-SCB-BK Cable Binding Kit (Black) ... $9.99

Total so far $3,230

So my key questions to this point are:

1) How is the cooling efficiency of cases with no fan or venting in the side panels?
      2) Should I consider water cooling for an overclocked system or just max out # of fans in a full tower?
      3) What RAM should I be looking at for overclocking? (need advice as to correct MHz and latency settings)
            **  I've read some RAM modules can conflict with large fan cooling setups?
      4) Can I run something higher than 1600 MHz?
      5) What software are people using for backup?

Have I left anything out on my list that is required?

Regards

Eric

• 1. Re: New Graphics & Video Editing Build
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Eric,

Congrats! You have done your homework very well.

1. The only way to tell is by trying it out. If your temps are worrisome, cut a hole in the side panel and install an additional fan.

2. Hard to tell if you don't know what the regular air cooling will do when running Prime 95 overnight. General consnesus is that watercooling is only sensible for extreme overclockers, not for editors.

3. 1600+ modules. Be aware of the cooling fins on some modules that may get in the way of the Noctua NH-D14. You can of course use another CPU cooler like the TRUE or U12SE.

4. Yes.

5. Shame on me, I really don't know

I know that my files are automatically synced to the server, the server sync's to a second server over VPN, and backups are performed daily to a NAS. Even Outlook and OWA are distributed but I leave all that stuff to my son.

• 2. Re: New Graphics & Video Editing Build
            Powered by Design Level 4

Corsair has a new 1200W unit but not sure on the price yet.

http://www.corsair.com/products/ax1200/default.aspx

Dont know if you will need that much power unless you run a big RAID like Harm.

Maybe Harm can comment on this if its worth the extra money for the extra 200W

And like harm said those RAM sticks will hit the CPU cooler.

GLenn

• 3. Re: New Graphics & Video Editing Build
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

5 - What I use is http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm

After unzipping there is a program to make a bootable CD (required) and the program then runs completely outside whatever is on the hard drive

I make full backups to USB hard drive before any major install or change, and a couple times a year "just because"

• 4. Re: New Graphics & Video Editing Build
                magneter Level 1

Harm, PbyD, Mr Smith, thanks for the replies.

I've been reading about RAM for 2 days now and my memory is full and overwhelmed.

Some RAM questions:

1) Is there a difference if I fill all 6 RAM slots with a 6 x 2GB kit vs only filling 3 slots with a 3 x 4GB kit?

I understand that the 4GB modules are more costly.

2) Does RAM with a specified voltage of 1.5v run cooler than a spec of 1.65v? And will the lower voltage enable higher overclocking?

3) When overclocking, what advantage does DDR3 2000 offer vs DDR3 1600?

And a CPU question:

What is the difference between i7-870 vs i7-930?

The 870 costs $580 vs $290 for the 930

I do see that the 870 runs at 2.93mhz vs 2.8 for the 930

Regards

Eric

• 5. Re: New Graphics & Video Editing Build
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Eric,

1) Is there a difference if I fill all 6 RAM slots with a 6 x 2GB kit vs only filling 3 slots with a 3 x 4GB kit?

I understand that the 4GB modules are more costly.

With 4 GB sticks, it gives you the possibility to later add another three sticks for 24 GB total.

2) Does RAM with a specified voltage of 1.5v run cooler than a spec of 1.65v? And will the lower voltage enable higher overclocking?

Yes and yes.

3) When overclocking, what advantage does DDR3 2000 offer vs DDR3 1600?

If will be slightly faster at a premium price. DDR3 1600 is far more economical.

What is the difference between i7-870 vs i7-930?

The 870 only runs on P55 mobo's with all the inherent limitations, the 930 only on X58 boards and as you see from the price, offers a much better value.

• 6. Re: New Graphics & Video Editing Build
                    ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Hehe I finally have the time and a chance to Post again:) I will leave the config stuff to Harm but that UPS is not what you want with that PSU. Remember the UPS has to exceed wattage of all devices you have plugged into it normally by atleast 50watts but 100 watts is better. Remember many PSU's now days have an overdrive ability where they can pull 50 or so watts more than their rating. You have a 1000W PSU and a 1000W UPS. If the computer is the absolutely only thing you will plug into it I still would not recommend going with just a 1000W UPS. If you will be plugging in monitors and speakers and a few other things then that absolutely will not work. You will brown out your PSU and eventually blow that and maybe your board. Be aware this is the most common error made by workstation owners now days and it can destroy a major investment and cause all kinds of issues. It can give you you random BSOD's as some sticks of ram wont intialize due to lack of power coming into the board. It can cause any number of critical system components to have random anomalies. I would either lower the PSU to 900 or get a 1150W UPS.

• 7. Re: New Graphics & Video Editing Build
                      magneter Level 1

Thanks for flagging that. I had thought about that and was going to ask more questions before I paced an order.

I think only the monitors would be additionally plugged into a UPS and an external backup device when I decide what to buy.

A 27" samsung monitor draws 56W + my 24" HP which is probably 45W

I'll just go with larger capacity on the UPS.

Eric

• 8. Re: New Graphics & Video Editing Build
                        magneter Level 1

Harm

Here's a really good tech article showing detailed install and testing on the Noctua NH-D14

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/noctua-nh-d14.html

Eric

• 9. Re: New Graphics & Video Editing Build
                          Pyramid Pyro Level 1

Eric,

I recently did ton of my own research on these forums and configured (on paper only) a new computer for CS5 that is very much like the specs you stated in the original post.

1:  I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread to see how it all works out for you.  Please keep us updated, and best of luck.

2:  Glad to see it was met with general acceptance.  I'll spare the board another "what do you think" until you are off and running Thanks to all who commented on this...

3:  Can anyone comment more on how the original post's configuration (no Raid) will handle HDV and AVCHD?  My guess is HDV will run well, and AVCHD will run OK, but not great (John T Smith's rig seems similar and he does OK, but the comparison may or may not be accurate on my part).  My priority is HDV but you never know...

Thanks again,

Erik

• 10. Re: New Graphics & Video Editing Build
                            magneter Level 1

Hi Erik with a K

I will definitely be posting results and impressions here

Regards

Eric

BTW: I may be doing 24GB of RAM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231359

Harm

I found the Spinpoint F3 selling for $59.49 w/free shipping after coupon code

http://www.techdealdigger.com/pr/cheap-samsung-1-tb-spinpoint-7200-rpm-35-desktop-hard-dri ve-deals/3049

edit: and it is out of stock, sorry

edit 2: now it says expired

• 11. Re: New Graphics & Video Editing Build
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Eric,

Nice article. Personally I would have mounted the cooler rotated by 90 degrees, so the airflow would not be from bottom to top, with the reduced airflow because of the graphics card, but from front to back to pull in air between the disks over memory and out to the back.

• 12. Re: New Graphics & Video Editing Build
                                magneter Level 1

Harm

I thought about that when seeing the photos but I've never handled a cooler that large before. Will see soon when i have components in hand.

Can you eyeball these 2 RAM items for me please? Both are 1.5V with 9-9-9-24 timings.

I don't mind spending the extra $200. What would you expect to see as the difference in a stock install (not overclocked) of both?

And when overclocked, which might perform better, be more stable, less touchy or problematic?

Thanks for your help!

Eric

1G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9T2-24GBRLG.SKILL  Ripjaws Series 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop  Memory Model F3-10666CL9T2-24GBRL
                                Item #: N82E16820231357
                                Return  Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
                                $749.99
                                1G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T2-24GBRLG.SKILL  Ripjaws Series 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop  Memory Model F3-12800CL9T2-24GBRL
                                Item #: N82E16820231359
                                Return  Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
                                $949.99
                                • 13. Re: New Graphics & Video Editing Build
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

I would get the 1600 memory for $ 200 extra. It can perform better at stock speed and when overclocking.

• 14. Re: New Graphics & Video Editing Build
                                    magneter Level 1

Harm

I did tons of digging and found some prime examples of cooler conflicts with ram sticks as shown here

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTI1ODEyMzY0MkMxR1UxM0VJTklfMl8xM19sLmpwZw

this is the whole article on the NH-D14 using the GB X58-Extreme Mobo

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/12/08/noctua_nhd14_cpu_cooler_heatsink_review/

I've got lots of questions posted around some other forums looking for solutions without water cooling.

I'll post here what I find.

Getting ready to pull the trigger any day.

Thanks again for your help

Eric

• 15. Re: New Graphics & Video Editing Build
                                      magneter Level 1

Regarding UPSs

I exchanged some emails with tech support at CyberPower Systems regarding UPSs.

Seems that the 1500W UPS I had in mind needs a 20 amp breaker and a NEMA 5-20 receptacle which has 1 prong on the plug rotated 90 degrees.

My outlet for computer is a dedicated line but with only a 15 amp breaker so I figured I would just change the breaker and the receptacle to take the special plug. I know the wiring in the walls will handle 20 amps.

I explained that I was building a new system with 1000W PSU and the only other significant item plugged into the UPS would be a large monitor drawing 50 to 70W. I told him I could make changes as above to use 1500W unit

The tech said this and sent link below:

"1000 watts will be more than sufficient. Even the most loaded high performance PCs rarely draw more than 300 or 400 watts when being pushed to their maximum. It is common to use a PSU rated for 3 times of more the requirements of your system. The less load on the PSU, the cooler it will run, and the more reliable it will be.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-radeon-power,2122-3.html

This chart is about a year and a half old, but it gives a good illustration of the power consumption of gaming PCs"

-----------------------

Does this make sense?

The 1000W UPS has a regular plug and needs only 15 amps

• 16. Re: New Graphics & Video Editing Build
                                        ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Sigh, this is why the UPS issue has become the most common problem among workstation owners. Unfortunately you spoke to a person who does not have a  true understanding of electronics nor likely is an engineer who designed the units. There is a reason UPS manufacturers put a warning in the manuals of UPS's that the total wattage of a UPS has to exceed the Wattage rating of what you plug into it. No the computer does not pull the 1000W all the time. The Power supply however does pull that when it's initializing circuits and normalizing output on the transformer. It's not just the hardware usage plugged into it that decides this. Just like when a refrigerator or washer/dryer turns on and your lights dim and then everything normalizes including your lights, so does a computer turn everything on then normalize to the current load. If the Power coming to the transformer is restricted to low then the power out of the transformer is out of spec. Then circuits don't initialize correctly and you can have electronic problems. How far the output is out of spec decides how likely the components plugged into it are out of spec. Follow the advice of the person you spoke to at your own peril. I have seen enough PSU's,system boards, and video cards blown over this to know what is correct.

• 17. Re: New Graphics & Video Editing Build
                                          Scott Chichelli Level 3

"""

My outlet for computer is a dedicated line but with only a 15 amp breaker so I figured I would just change the breaker and the receptacle to take the special plug. I know the wiring in the walls will handle 20 amps""""

uhmm WRONG very wrong.

12 gauge wire is required for 20 amp Circuits (usually yellow for new contruction) older who knows

14 gauge (white) is for 15 amp circuits.

attaching a 20amp plug too a 15amp circuit is asking for trouble

add to that, that circuit has only a 15 amp fuse all you do is heat the wire

do not fool with something you know nothing about.

if you need 20 amps you need to add a circuit

Scott

ADK

• 18. Re: New Graphics & Video Editing Build
                                            magneter Level 1

Regarding the UPS issues. You said:

"Follow the advice of the person you spoke to at your own peril."

I was emailing with tech support at cyberpowersystems.com

What he said made sense but what you are saying make complete sense as well.

So where does that leave me?

I started a new thread on PSU & UPS selection.

• 19. Re: New Graphics & Video Editing Build
                                              magneter Level 1

Harm

My boxes from Newegg will arrive today and I am excited.

After much consideration I went with the CoolerMaster ATCS 840 and I believe you have this case as well so I have a few questions.

Do you have installed the 2 extra fans behind the drive bays and the 1 fan on bottom, and if so do they run at full speed or are you controlling them with an auxilary device?

Are ther any other issues with cooling in this case that you may have adjusted or modified over time?

Regards

Eric

• 20. Re: New Graphics & Video Editing Build
                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Eric,

Sorry to disappoint you, but I have a Lian Li PC-A77 case, which is altogether different.

I do have fans in front of each drive cage, an additional fan on the video card, and some more, but all running at full power.

• 21. Re: New Graphics & Video Editing Build
                                                  magneter Level 1

My RAM is shot.

Must have been someone else who mentioned that. Maybe it was just a case you had recommended I look at

Thanks