16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2010 10:59 AM by the_wine_snob

NEWBIE - PE7 - Finalized video becomes pixalated in WM & QT - PLEASE HELP - working on project!

BizzieMom

Hi.  I’m new to this forum and have scoured this forum to see if there was a previous questions that dealt with my problem.  Although I didn’t find one, I was impressed with the knowledge of the answers and the desire to help those in trouble so that’s why I joined.  I need help!

I have been editing on PE7 for one year and have no problems before.  I do not make any changes to the settings as I am not an expert and do not understand what they mean or can do for my projects but I’ve never had a problem of any kind before so it wasn’t a problem.  Now I have a problem. 

I have two laptops that I use for editing.  One is a Toshiba (specs below) and the other is a Dell (specs below).  The Toshiba has a firewire input and the Dell doesn’t so when I edit on the Dell, I input on the Toshiba and movie it via flash drive or external hard drive to the Dell.  I’ve never had any problems before with this procedure.

I do not change any of the presets that are there as I do not know anything about them.  Everything was fine with both computers and I had no problem with PE7.  I put together a video that is about 4 ½  minutes long with footage that are imported into the Toshiba and then moved via external HD to the Dell.  I did the editing on the Dell.  It have numerous avi clips that I put together with mp3 music.  The video, music and all of the clips looked perfect even after rendering it.  When I finalized it and made it a windows media file and a quicktime movie, the video became pixilated in both formats.  I do not have any other programs open while editing.  It is pixilated in windows media player, quicktime player and when I play it in PE7 too.

I have PE8 but was waiting until I finished this project to install.  However, when this problem occurred, I installed PE8 hoping it would fix the problem.  It did not so I uninstalled PE8 and restored the computers to a date prior to when I installed PE8.

Also , is there a way to get back to the file was prior to finalizing it?  It looked perfect during playback even in full screen prior to finalizing it.  How do I get rid of the pixilation on this file?

I have never had any problems before with either computer.  There were no changes to the computers before the problem occurred.

Oh, and I did try editing together some of the original footage in another file on both computers to see if it was just this file but both of them finalized pixilated.  This is a completely new problem (in the last week) and I never had this before.

~Dell Inspirion 1545 (less than 3 months old)

Cpu – acpi x64 based pc/windows 7 home premium

Driver – Samsung sm320II, 6.1.7600 16385

Processors – Pentium dual-core cpu T4400-2.20 ghz

RAM – 4.00GB

i.e. 8.0.7600.16385 – no updates (don’t like updating – had problems on previous machines after updating)

173 GB free of 283 GB

Dell - PE7 Advanced export settings (not changed by me) – 320x240, 30 fps/64 kbps, 44khz, stereo vbr, compressed, vbr, 2 pass, audiences: 1, avg 448.00 (kbps), video coded: windows media video 9, frame width (pixels) 320, frame height (pixels) 240, frame rate (fps) 30, pixel aspect ratio: square pixels (1.0), audio: bitrate mode variable unconstrained/audio format 64 kbps, 44 khz, stereo vbr

File size: 12.7 MB, 4 mins,31 0 sec

Imported on Toshiba and then transferred via external hard drive to Dell. 

~External hard drive – Seagate free agent fat32 442 gb free of 698 gb

~Toshiba Satellite A205 (3 years old)/Vista Ultiimate

Intel core2 cpu

T5300 @1.73 Ghz

RAM 2046 MB

32 bit operating system

Ie 7.0.6000.16809IC – 256 bit – no recent updates

C hard drive -  22.5 GB free of 110 GB

D hard drive – 17.2 GB free of 149 GB (it is portioned upon purchase, I believe)

I hope I have given enough info so that you can help me with my problem.  I’m not tech savvy, but I’m trying.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: NEWBIE - PE7 - Finalized video becomes pixalated in WM & QT - PLEASE HELP - working on project!
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What type of camcorder is your video coming from and how did you get it into your computer?

Have you assured that you have selected a project preset that matches the footage you are putting into your project? It is singularly important to make sure that your project settings match your source footage or your results will always be disappointing.

Have a look at part 1 of my 8-part free tutorial series Basic Training with Premiere Elements at http://Muvipix.com, a terrific videomaker support site. In the first tutorial I explain how to set up a project and why it's important to use the right settings for your video.

I've also written a number of books on Premiere Elements, based on my six years hosting this forum, that you may find helpful. They explain in much greater detail how to set up a project to get the best possible results. My books can be purchased on Amazon.com or through the Muvipix store. They'll likely answer any questions you may have about this amazing program!

• 2. Re: NEWBIE - PE7 - Finalized video becomes pixalated in WM & QT - PLEASE HELP - working on project!
            BizzieMom Level 1

Sony handycam model dcr-hc28 and it was imported via firewire into the Toshiba.  I plugged it in and turned it on and windows asked if I wanted to import it so I did as a file, which was then imported into PE7.

I do not know anything about project preset as this has not been an issue before so I didn't have to address that.  None of the settings were changed and it is the same camera I've been using since I started on PE7 a year ago.  Why would this suddenly happen?  How do I fix the pixalation problem?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: NEWBIE - PE7 - Finalized video becomes pixalated in WM & QT - PLEASE HELP - working on project!
              BizzieMom Level 1

It is set as NTSC - HDV standard 48, same as in your video, and is correct for the camera.

• 4. Re: NEWBIE - PE7 - Finalized video becomes pixalated in WM & QT - PLEASE HELP - working on project!
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve and others are working on the pixelation issue, so I will address your question about going back.

When you edit in PrE, you are actually creating an XML file, that links to your source footage, the Clips that you have captured, and then there is a set of instructions on what to do with the info from those files - nothing more and no media in the PREL (Project file). That means that your original AV files, the Captured files, are not touched in any way. They remain intact, and only data is read from them.

For your case, what this means is that your Project file is just as you left it. So long as you still have all the Assets (the original files) in the same spot, you can go back to where you finished editing. That will Open, to the point that you left it. What you are calling "Finalizing" is actually Export/Share, and creates a new AV file, based on the original footage, with the instructions that PrE wrote. You can Export/Share to any number of file formats/CODEC's/settings, and none will affect your Project in any way. So long as you still have the Assets located in the same places, you can revisit that Project at any time. Having Exported/Shared will not affect it.

Hope that lets you sleep better, and good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: NEWBIE - PE7 - Finalized video becomes pixalated in WM & QT - PLEASE HELP - working on project!
                  BizzieMom Level 1

Hunt,

Thanks for the info but I'm still confused.

After you delete a file from Adobe and then save it, how do I recover that
                  edited footage without having to redit?  Is there an auto save folder or
                  some other place it is saved?  How would I find it?

Did you have any answers to my pixalation problem?  I saved it as an avi
                  just now and it was fine but QT and WM are not.

Thanks.
                  • 6. Re: NEWBIE - PE7 - Finalized video becomes pixalated in WM & QT - PLEASE HELP - working on project!
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, I am confused. What did you Delete? Was it the PREL (Project) file, the original Capture files, or something else? That info will determine the answer.

That the Exported/Shared AVI looked good, points to either the settings of the WMV and MOV Export/Share, or possibly the CODEC used for those. Let's look at the Export/Share settings that you chose, as they will be the easiest to troubleshoot. When one does an Export/Share, they are usually presented with many choices and for the Video, the Audio and all aspects of the file. Those will likely give us a clue, as to what is wrong.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: NEWBIE - PE7 - Finalized video becomes pixalated in WM & QT - PLEASE HELP - working on project!
                      BizzieMom Level 1

Hunt,

Regarding the deleting, I had all of the footage I had imported into PE7 and put together the timeline with video and audio clips.  I then deleted the footage I wasn't using excluding the timeline with the compiled video.  I then exported it.  Then I clicked undo so all of the other footage came back, cut the final compiled video and then clicked save.  I am looking to get that compiled video footage back.

The settings for the WM are: PE7 Advanced export settings (not changed by me) – 320x240, 30 fps/64 kbps, 44khz, stereo vbr, compressed, vbr, 2 pass, audiences: 1, avg 448.00 (kbps), video coded: windows media video 9, frame width (pixels) 320, frame height (pixels) 240, frame rate (fps) 30, pixel aspect ratio: square pixels (1.0), audio: bitrate mode variable unconstrained/audio format 64 kbps, 44 khz, stereo vbr

The settings for QT are: 320x240, frame rate 29.97, progressive 24 bit color, freq 32 khz, audio codec AAC, video codec H.264, quality 50 pixel aspect ratio square pixels 1.0, alternates: 0

Does this help?

Thanks.

• 8. Re: NEWBIE - PE7 - Finalized video becomes pixalated in WM & QT - PLEASE HELP - working on project!

You do realize that your output video is 320x240 -- which is about half the vertical and half the horizontal resolution of your original video -- right?

So, if you're viewing it at other than 100% -- and in particular if you're looking at it full-screen in your computer -- it's going to look pixelated.

Your computer screen is likely at least 1280x1080. These videos are 320x240. As you can see, looking at them at full screen (or at anything larger than 100% size) is looking at them many times their actual size.

• 9. Re: NEWBIE - PE7 - Finalized video becomes pixalated in WM & QT - PLEASE HELP - working on project!
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

For the pixelation issue, I think that Steve has pointed up the probable cause. Those files should be viewed at the display size that they open in the player, and not increased, especially to full-screen. Increasing the output Frame Size will improve the full-screen display in a AV file player. I would do a test and Export/Share to the matching Frame Size as your Project, to see if the quality has improved - basically, you will have quadrupled the resolution (2x horizontal and 2x vertical).

As for the Deleted files, let's go back to the beginning.

1.) When you Capture footage, you create AV footage in AV files. As an example, if you have an SD DV Project, you will end up with DV-AVI Type II files on your HDD (Hard Disk Drive), where you directed the program to place them. They will be self-contained AV files, that can be played in a software AV player.

2.) These files are also linked to two places, the Organizer and the Project Panel. These are just links to those DV-AVI files, and the physical files are still on the HDD, and only linked to those places.

3.) When you create a New Project, you are writing an XML database (PREL) of links and instructions. The DV-AVI files are NOT in the Project file - only links to them and instructions on what will be done, when the data from those files is read to output a new, unique file. The original AV files are still on the HDD, where you directed the program to place them.

4.) When you drag the AV file from the Project Panel, the Organizer or the Source Monitor, you are not actually dragging that AV file, but a proxy of it, which is linked to the original. You are also only placing an Instance of that file onto the Timeline, and you could use the Source Monitor to alter the In & Out Points of that Instance, and use many of them, and each can be different. All of these link back to the original DV-AVI, which is still on the HDD.

5.) When you Save your Project, you are saving that PREL (XML database) file, and NOT Saving any of the original Assets. You are justs Saving the instructions on how to process the data from those original Asset files.

6.) When you Share/Export, you are using those instructions in the PREL file, which will go to the original Asset files, and extract just the data, that you requested (by the In & Out Points) and then it will assemble that data, in the order that you chose, when you edited. Then it processes that data, with any Effects, Transitions, etc., that you added and adjusted. This extracted data is then written to a new, original AV file, which will be placed where you direct it, and assign the name that you chose. The original Asset files are not touched, only data copied from them.

7.) You cannot Delete the original Asset files. They are NOT in the PREL, which ONLY contains links to them, where they were located. If you do Delete them, you will need to recover them, and place them in their original locations.

8.) If you delete them from the Project Panel, you have only removed the links to the original files, and not the original files themselves. You should get an error message that you are deleting Assets that are in use in the Timeline, asking you to confirm that deletion. If you choose to do so, you will also loose the all Instances of them in the Timeline.

9.) After you have done an Export/Share, you have created a new, unique and totally separate AV file. It is not linked to anything, and is a self-contained AV file, that can be Copied, Moved, Played, Deleted, and even Imported into another Project. If you Delete that, it affects your Project in no way - UNLESS, when you Exported/Shared to create that file, you chose Add to Project, which will create a link to that new AV file, and placed it into the Project Panel. Then, if you Delete that original file, you will break the link to it in the Project Panel.

As you can see, so much depends on exactly what you Delete. If it's the PREL, or the Captured original AV files, you must Recover those from the Recycle Bin. If you have emptied that, you will need to have a Copy of those Assets, or the Project file. In the Case of the Project file, you might have AutoSaves in that folder within the Project folder structure. They might be recent enough, that you will not have to redo much work, but you will STILL need the original Asset files to work with those.

If you Deleted the output file, created with Export/Share, you can just redo that action, and create a new one.

Hope that explains things better, and good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: NEWBIE - PE7 - Finalized video becomes pixalated in WM & QT - PLEASE HELP - working on project!
                            BizzieMom Level 1

Uh...no I didn't.  I have just been editing and everything was fine until this week.

I did export it again with the settings 1280x1080 per your post as a QT file and it is still pixelated.  The AVI is fine.  Any other suggestions on what I should try?

Thanks.

• 11. Re: NEWBIE - PE7 - Finalized video becomes pixalated in WM & QT - PLEASE HELP - working on project!
                              BizzieMom Level 1

Hunt,  Thanks for that info.  I deleted the PREL file and looked in my auto save folder but it only saved the last 5 (preset) so I have changed that for the future.  I will have to rebuild it.

Do you have any ideas about the pixelated problem?  I changed it to 1280x1080 per Steve's suggestion and it was still pixelated in QT and MOV.  Thanks.

• 12. Re: NEWBIE - PE7 - Finalized video becomes pixalated in WM & QT - PLEASE HELP - working on project!
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

For poor MOV Export, many users have found that Apple's H.264 CODEC does not yield really good HD files. They prefer either Lead's, or MainConcept's version of the H.264 CODEC instead. That is one possibility.

Now, can you post a screen-cap of your Export/Share dialog screens for the MOV file. There might well be something that can improve things at that end of the process?

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - when looking in the AutoSave folder, be aware that these are incremented 001 thru 005 (at the default setting), BUT this is a FIFO situation, so that 003 might well be newer, than 005 is. To find the latest, change the View to Details, and look closely at the Date/Time column. Look for the latest one there, and not by the name.

• 13. Re: NEWBIE - PE7 - Finalized video becomes pixalated in WM & QT - PLEASE HELP - working on project!
                                  BizzieMom Level 1

Thanks Hunt.  I was looking at the date and time to determine which one was the newest or oldest

one, depending on what I'm looking for but it was too far back to retrieve.  That won't happen again.

I am posting my screenshot of the advanced settings in hopes you see something that is incorrect, although I haven't changed anything except the 1280x1080 today and the problem is still there.  Thanks.

screenshot.png

• 14. Re: NEWBIE - PE7 - Finalized video becomes pixalated in WM & QT - PLEASE HELP - working on project!

You can't export your video at 1280x1080, Mom -- because your original source footage is only the equivalent of 640x480. You can't add pixels that aren't there!

But, just to be clear, when you say "pixelated" what exactly do you mean? Are you looking at your video full-screen on your computer?

As I said earlier, you can't do that because your video (and your TV) are not nearly as high resolution as your computer screen. ANY video is going to look pixelated at full screen!

So can you describe under what circumstances you're seeing pixelation. (e.g., how you are viewing your video?) And, when you say pixelated, what exactly do you mean? Do you mean just fuzzy -- like you can see the individual pixels?

I think we're really chasing the wrong issues here.

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 15. Re: NEWBIE - PE7 - Finalized video becomes pixalated in WM & QT - PLEASE HELP - working on project!
                                      BizzieMom Level 1

Upping output to 640x480 helped with initial playback.  Fullscreen is still pixelated (tiny squares) but according to your information, that's as it should be.  The initial playback was also pixelated prior to upping the output so that solved that issue.  Thanks.

• 16. Re: NEWBIE - PE7 - Finalized video becomes pixalated in WM & QT - PLEASE HELP - working on project!
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

With 640 x 480, Full Size (not Full Screen) will be as good as it gets.

Sorry,

Hunt