9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2011 12:25 PM by Chuck Z.

RAM Preview - not continuous

thegator1111

Sometimes when I go to do a RAM preview ( by hitting Space for playback ) it will render only one frame and stop. I'll have to hit Space again which results with the next frame only, and so on. The only way I've gotten it to preview properly is to restart AE ( CS5 Mac ), sometimes a couple times before it goes back to normal.

Is there a key command that I'm missing that allows only one frame of previewing? I have a tablet and sometimes lean my arm on the function buttons which act as modifiers and thought that might be part of it, but I can't find anything suggesting that is the problem.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: RAM Preview - not continuous
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Ahem...

do a RAM preview ( by hitting Space for playback )

Not in a million years! Read the help on how to create a proper RAM preview.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: RAM Preview - not continuous
            thegator1111 Level 1

not sure what "not in a million years" means or how it pertains to the problem.

I've been previewing using "space" since v6.5 and has never given me any problems. using the preview panel yields the same result I state in the first post.

• 3. Re: RAM Preview - not continuous
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The spacebar doesn't start a RAM preview. I suggest reading the page that Mylenium pointed to. It explains how previews work.

• 4. Re: RAM Preview - not continuous
                thegator1111 Level 1

Maybe im missing something. Ive read the article a couple times and am still not finding an answer to the question. You say spacebar doesn't initiate a ram preview and the article states that 0 or shift-0 is the command, or the Preview panel. I'm not having problems using these methods. My workflow for the past few years and versions of AE has been to place the playhead at the desired start point, press spacebar and watch the green cache line fill in as it renders. Never had a problem with it. Its always worked without fail. I know its not what's documented in the manual, but again, its always worked. My question is why it intermittently will only do this for a single frame starting with CS5. It seems the feedback here is that AE isn't supposed to allow this. But this is the first time I've run into this problem. If I've been doing it wrong all this time, why has it been working? And if it is allowed, what am i doing wrong? Is there a setting i accidentally set or a command i invoked that wont turn off unless i specify?

• 5. Re: RAM Preview - not continuous
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The way that spacebar play works is this:

It renders a frame. It displays that frame. Then it renders the next frame. Then it displays that frame. And so on, until the end of the composition (or work area).

The way that RAM preview works is this:

It renders as many frames as it can fit in RAM. Then it plays them all. It might not be able to fit the whole composition (or work area) in RAM, so you may only get a short preview.

The advantage of the first is that it plays all the way through. The disadvantage is that playback is jerky/slow (not real time for any but the simplest of compositions).

The advantage of RAM preview is that the preview itself is real-time. The disadvantage is that it's potentially only a short segment, depending on RAM.

I never use the spacebar. Never.

This entry in the FAQ list gives some additional information:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/424030

• 6. Re: RAM Preview - not continuous
                    thegator1111 Level 1

I understand the distinction between the two preview methods and i mostly use the spacebar out of muscle memory ( a lot of Final Cut Pro editing ). I know its not the best way but old habits die hard.  I still can't seem to figure out why the spacebar method will intermittently render a single frame, then stop. The way it's always worked was it will continue to render frames until i press spacebar again, or drag the playhead to another point in the timeline.

• 7. Re: RAM Preview - not continuous
                      Chuck Z.

I realize this is kinda old.. Yet using the search feature as well as browsing through multiple pages of forums I couldn't find anything else about it.  So at any rate I'd love an actual answer to this question.  Not more rhetoric about how the space bar does not equal the Ram Preview and what a Ram Preview is and so forth and what not.

Simply put whether I use the space bar preview or ram preview button/"0" numberpad key I get the same result.  It loads and plays a few frames of preview then just stops, then I have to hit it again and it stops again shortly after and if I want to preview anything I have to keep pressing the key for whichever preview I'm attempting to use.

This problem is with After Effects CS5, same as the OP.

The following are links to screenshots of the listed categories for settings/preferences:

General

Previews

Output

Memory & Multiprocessing

• 8. Re: RAM Preview - not continuous
                        Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You did not provide any system info nor what is involved in your project, so this is not helping much. Could be anything from your graphics card to your audio device buffer to problems with the source footage and its storage. Provide more info and we may be able to help you, otehrwise this thread will only sink to the bottom of the ocean as it did before...

Mylenium

• 9. Re: RAM Preview - not continuous
                          Chuck Z. Level 1

Here is the information you seek on my system.

The issue is not project specific, it happens whether on this project or doing something as making a solid and then attempting to preview it or transitioning the solid to reduce in opacity over time.

I apologize for the delay.. I've been rather busy and I had to make certain that all my drivers were updated, thankfully they were so no issue there.

• Processor- 1
                            • CPU_Name- Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9000 @ 2.00GHz
                            • CPU_Manufacturer- GenuineIntel
                            • CPU_Caption- Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
                            • CPU_Version- Model 7, Stepping 10
                            • CPU_ProcessorId- BFEBFBFF0001067A
                            • CPU_CurrentClockSpeed- 2001MHz
                            • CPU_AddressWidth- 64Bits
                            • CPU_DataWidth- 64Bits
                            • CPU_SocketDesignation- Socket 479

Case Color- Silver

System Memory

• Memory Module- 1
                            • Mem_Capacity- 2048MB
                            • Mem_BankLabel- DIMM #1
                            • Mem_Type- DDR3
                            • Mem_Frequency- 1066 MHz
                          • Memory Module- 2
                            • Mem_Capacity- 2048MB
                            • Mem_BankLabel- DIMM #2
                            • Mem_Type- DDR3
                            • Mem_Frequency- 1066 MHz

BIOS  Information
                          • BIOS_Manufacturer- Alienware
                            • BIOS_Name- Ver A01 1.00PARTTBL
                              • BIOS_Version1- A01
                                • BIOS_Version2- ALWARE - 6040000

Motherboard  Information
                                  • MB_Manufacturer- Alienware
                                    • MB_Product
                                      • MB_SerialNumber- ---------
                                        • MB_Version- A01

Video  Adapter
                                          • Video_Caption- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M
                                            • Video_AdapterRAM- 1024MB
                                              • Video_DriverVersion- 8.17.12.6658

Hard  Drive(s)
                                                • ST925042 1ASG SCSI Disk Device
                                                  • Disk_Model- ST925042 1ASG SCSI Disk Device
                                                  • Disk_Size- 250GB
                                                  • Disk_TotalHeads- 255
                                                  • Disk_TotalCylinders- 30401
                                                  • Disk_TotalTracks- 7752255
                                                  • Disk_TracksPerCylinder- 255

Optical Drives  / Other Storage
                                                • TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-T633A SCSI CdRom Device

Operating System- MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64

DirectX Version- 10

Assembler Initials- RR

Tester Initials- AI

Test Date- 08/31/2009 12-04 PM

Burn-In/Benchmarks
                                                  • 3DMark Vantage 1.01
                                                    • AWMark Score- 9069 AWMarks
                                                    • Graphics Score- 9529 Points
                                                    • CPU Score- 7924 Points
                                                    • Graphics Test 1 - Jane Nash- 26 FPS
                                                    • Graphics Test 2 - New Calico- 29 FPS
                                                    • CPU Test 1 - AI Test- 1040 Plans/S
                                                    • CPU Test 2 - Physics- 11 Steps/S
                                                    • Feature Test 1 - Texture Fill- 849 FPS
                                                    • Feature Test 2 - Color Fill- 5 FPS
                                                    • Feature Test 3 - POM- 22 FPS
                                                    • Feature Test 4 - GPU Cloth- 17 FPS
                                                    • Feature Test 5 - GPU Particles- 23 FPS
                                                    • Feature Test 6 - Perlin Noise- 38 FPS

IRQ Configuration
                                                  • 0 -available-
                                                    • 1 Standard PS/2 Keyboard
                                                      • 2 -available-
                                                        • 3 -available-
                                                          • 4 -available-
                                                            • 5 Ricoh Memory Stick Controller
                                                              • 5 Ricoh SD/MMC Host Controller
                                                                • 5 Ricoh xD-Picture Card Controller
                                                                  • 5 SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller
                                                                    • 6 -available-
                                                                      • 7 -available-
                                                                        • 8 High precision event timer
                                                                          • 9 -available-
                                                                            • 10 ITECIR Infrared Receiver (EC)
                                                                              • 11 -available-
                                                                                • 12 Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad
                                                                                  • 13 Numeric data processor
                                                                                    • 14 RICOH OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
                                                                                      • 15 -available-
                                                                                        • 16 NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller
                                                                                          • 16 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
                                                                                            • 17 High Definition Audio Controller
                                                                                              • 18 PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
                                                                                                • 18 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
                                                                                                  • 19 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M
                                                                                                    • 19 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
                                                                                                      • 20 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M
                                                                                                        • 22 NVIDIA GeForce 9400M G
                                                                                                          • 23 Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
                                                                                                            • 23 NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet 
                                                                                                              • 23 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
                                                                                                                • 190 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System

Miscellaneous

Final Checks

Installed Device Drivers
                                                                                                                  • Microsoft AC Adapter
                                                                                                                    • Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9000 @ 2.00GHz
                                                                                                                      • ITECIR Infrared Receiver (EC)
                                                                                                                        • Standard PS/2 Keyboard
                                                                                                                          • Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
                                                                                                                            • Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad
                                                                                                                              • Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator
                                                                                                                                • Bluetooth Hands-free Audio
                                                                                                                                  • Bluetooth Hands-free Audio
                                                                                                                                    • Bluetooth L2CAP Interface
                                                                                                                                      • Bluetooth Remote Control
                                                                                                                                        • Bluetooth Stereo Audio
                                                                                                                                          • Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver
                                                                                                                                            • IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
                                                                                                                                              • HID-compliant device
                                                                                                                                                • HID-compliant consumer control device
                                                                                                                                                  • HID-compliant device
                                                                                                                                                    • Microsoft eHome Remote Control Keyboard keys
                                                                                                                                                      • Microsoft eHome MCIR Keyboard
                                                                                                                                                        • Microsoft eHome MCIR 109 Keyboard
                                                                                                                                                          • HID-compliant mouse
                                                                                                                                                            • HID-compliant device
                                                                                                                                                              • HID Keyboard Device
                                                                                                                                                                • HID-compliant mouse
                                                                                                                                                                  • HID-compliant consumer control device
                                                                                                                                                                    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M
                                                                                                                                                                      • NVIDIA GeForce 9400M G
                                                                                                                                                                        • NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
                                                                                                                                                                          • NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller
                                                                                                                                                                            • Ricoh Memory Stick Controller
                                                                                                                                                                              • SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller
                                                                                                                                                                                • RICOH OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
                                                                                                                                                                                  • Ricoh SD/MMC Host Controller
                                                                                                                                                                                    • Ricoh xD-Picture Card Controller
                                                                                                                                                                                      • Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
                                                                                                                                                                                        • facap, FastAccess Video Capture
                                                                                                                                                                                          • Microsoft iSCSI Initiator
                                                                                                                                                                                            • TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-T633A SCSI CdRom Device
                                                                                                                                                                                              • ST925042 1ASG SCSI Disk Device
                                                                                                                                                                                                • Generic volume shadow copy
                                                                                                                                                                                                  • Integrated Webcam
                                                                                                                                                                                                    • USB Human Interface Device
                                                                                                                                                                                                      • Generic Bluetooth Adapter
                                                                                                                                                                                                        • USB Human Interface Device