3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2010 8:07 AM by PWV Brian

Using Maximum Render Quality with Dynamic Link

Colin Brougham Level 6

Here's the scenario: I've got a DVCPROHD 720/24pN sequence that's headed to DVD (not BluRay). I first built my DVD by Dynamic Linking my sequence to Encore; unfortunately, Encore does not correctly encode DVCPROHD 720p footage to a DVD-compliant MPEG-2. I want widescreen, and it always interprets the sequence as 4:3 and letterboxes it, even if you manually set up the transcoding settings.

So, I nested my DVCPROHD sequence into a DV widescreen 24p sequence, and scaled it down. I then sent this to Encore via DL; Encore recognizes the PAR and creates the correct timeline. I setup my project again, and get ready to transcode--when I realize I should probably set the Maximum Render Quality checkbox.

Only problem is, where do I do this? Do I set it in the original DVCPROHD sequence, the nested DV sequence, or in the Encore transcode settings--or all of the above? I know MRQ is going to incur a massive render hit (especially since I can't use MPE as it completely screws up graphics, effects, and dissolves), so I don't want to have any additional time invested that isn't necessary.

What is the deal with this?

• 1. Re: Using Maximum Render Quality with Dynamic Link
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Encore does not correctly encode DVCPROHD 720p footage to a DVD-compliant MPEG-2. I want widescreen, and it always interprets the sequence as 4:3 and letterboxes it, even if you manually set up the transcoding settings.

What if in En you manually interpret the footage via File | Interpret Footage?

Do I set it in the original DVCPROHD sequence, the nested DV sequence, or in the Encore transcode settings--or all of the above?

In theory, MRQ should be invoked simply by setting it in the Encore transcode settings.  To test, send a very short sequence to En that contains some tell-tale footage and test the 3 methods.  That's the only way to be sure.

-Jeff

• 2. Re: Using Maximum Render Quality with Dynamic Link
            Colin Brougham Level 6
            What if in En you manually interpret the footage via File | Interpret Footage?

Encore actually does interpret the footage correctly: as 960x720 with a 1.333 PAR. That's exactly what it should be. The problem comes when you try to place the DL'ed sequence into an En timeline. Even if you create an empty timeline first, and set it to 16:9, when you drop the DL'ed sequence into the timeline, Encore automatically changes the timeline back to 4:3! However, it maintains the aspect ratio of the asset, so it letterboxes the video into the timeline's frame. And unfortunately, once you drop an asset into a timeline, you cannot change the aspect ratio of that timeline. I haven't tested to see if this happens with an actual clip (for instance, a 960x720 Lagarith AVI), but I would suspect it does. It's almost as if Encore is reading only the pixel dimensions and ignoring the PAR when the asset is used in a timeline. Very frustrating, and that's what's forced me to do the convoluted nesting in Premiere, first.

As it is, I set the MRQ flag in all three places (original Pr sequence, nested Pr sequence, and Encore), and my transcode looks pretty good. Unfortunately, even without MPE enabled, encoding of feathered alpha channels is really messed up... but that's another story.

• 3. Re: Using Maximum Render Quality with Dynamic Link
              PWV Brian Level 1

I posted to this forum about the same problem with Encore making Premiere Sequences that use DVCProHD settings 4:3 timelines.  It is a bug with the software, but I found a simple workaround.  Create a sequence in Premiere and choose settings for HDV which will make it 1280 by 720 with square pixels instead of 960 by 720 at 1.333.  The other settings can remain the same in regards to frame rate, progressive, etc.  When you place that sequence into Encore using Dynamic Link it will make the resulting timeline 16:9.

I have an entire project I edited using DVCPro HD 720 24p sequences, and I just copied and pasted my Master timeline into a new one with the HDV settings and it worked perfectly.