22 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2010 8:44 AM by the_wine_snob

When rendered, still images appear in low quality

fmrees

Hello everyone.

I'm facing an interesting dilemna with Adobe Premiere Elements 8. It usually works fine for me, and with time I have learned to fix most of the details that usually bother unexperienced users such as me.

What happens is that I'm importing still images (JPEG) to my video, and when rendered they're final quality appears to be so low. I mean, you can see the pixels very large, square-like, you know... as if I had a small image and had it stretched out a lot, but that was not the case at all.

I never had this problem before, and I can't recall anything different on my part in this new video.

Any ideas as to how to fix this?

Thanks everyone.

• 1. Re: When rendered, still images appear in low quality
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you tell us what your Project Preset is and also what the pixel x pixel dimensions of the JPEG's are.

When you say "render," do you mean Render (hitting Enter) for smoother playback, or do you mean Export/Share, to output an AV file from your Timeline? If the latter, what are the Export/Share settings that you are outputting to?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: When rendered, still images appear in low quality
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

And remember that, once you've put your photos into a video in Premiere Elements, they are at VIDEO resolution -- which is essentially 640x480 pixels.

So a photo used in a video is never going to be as detailed or as high resolution as the original photo. But it should look fine on a TV.

If you're trying to create a high-quality, high-resolution slideshow -- one that you can show on a computer -- you may want to consider a slideshow creator like ProShow Gold.

• 3. Re: When rendered, still images appear in low quality
              the_wine_snob Level 9

As an addendum, if you are Importing large still images, and letting PrE Scale those down to your Project's Frame Size, you will get better quality by doing that Scaling in Photoshop, or PSElements. This ARTICLE will give you some tips and background.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: When rendered, still images appear in low quality
                fmrees Level 1

Hello again, and thanks for the replies.

The project settings are NTSC HDV 720p, and I'm publishing it as Windows Media HD 720p 30. So it's a 1280x720 format.

The JPEG files I'm using I have resized in Photoshop to fit this specific size before importing into Premiere.

I have done a number of other projects like this in the past, and I never had this problem of images appearing really different after being published, in a very low quality.

When I say "render", I mean sharing/publishing the video.

• 5. Re: When rendered, still images appear in low quality

Can you be more specific about the "quality is so low"? That could mean a hundred different things.

Could you post a WMV file some place so we could see what you're talking about?

There is absolutely no reason this should be happening, if you're using the specs you claim to be using. Especially if it's worked before.

BTW, you say you're using a hi-def output -- but what is your project setting? If you're using a standard DV project setting, it's still going to be standard resolution even if you output it at 1920x1080.

• 6. Re: When rendered, still images appear in low quality
                    fmrees Level 1

This is how the image looks like (it is in 1280x720):

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/4967/beforepublishing.jpg

This is how it looks like after publishing:

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/1480/afterpublishing.jpg

Do you see how it appears so pixelated?

The project settings is on NTSC HDV 720p, which matches the settings of how I'm publishing, Windows Media HD 720p 30.

• 7. Re: When rendered, still images appear in low quality
                      fmrees Level 1

An interesting development:

This video I'm making has a combination of still images and video clips.

In the case of this still image in the example I have posted above, there is a video clip which emerges right after this image in the timeline.

When I take this video clip out, the still image has its excellent quality once again in the final published file. As soon as I add the video clip after the still image, the still image appears in this "low quality" pixelated characteristic as I have shown above.

Nothing is modified in the still image itself: when I add a videoclip after it, the quality is messed up; when I take the video clip out, it' back to normal and beautiful.

Any ideas?

• 8. Re: When rendered, still images appear in low quality

Yes. Since you are created a DVD file but you are playing it on a computer using Windows Media Player, you are seeing interlacing lines.

Burn a DVD or BluRay disc of your project and play it on a TV and it should look just fine.

• 9. Re: When rendered, still images appear in low quality
                          fmrees Level 1

Hummm... and what would be the best option if I want this video to be watched in the PC screen?

Also... what could explain the fact that the still images only look "problematic" when followed by a video clip?

It is so weird, I never had this problem before: I publish the video without this video clip soon after the still image and the quality is excellent; as soon as I put the video clip there, the quality of the still images is changed dramatically.

• 10. Re: When rendered, still images appear in low quality
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Your best result will be to Burn a BD (Blu-ray Disc), per the BD supported formats, which are found HERE.

Scale your still images to match the chosen PrE Project Preset.

Play the BD on the computer via a good BD software player, like recent CyberLink products, or the free MediaPlayer Classic HC. That will give you the best possible results on a computer.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: When rendered, still images appear in low quality
                              fmrees Level 1

Some new findings concening the issue:

When I added a 3.0 seconds Black Video between the still image and the following video clip, the quality of the still image became perfect.

When I put the video clip right after the still image, the quality of the still goes down and looks like the example I have posted.

So...

Any ideas of why having a Black Video separating the still image from the video clip makes it look good? Or in other words... why NOT having a Black Video makes it look soooo bad?

PS: Can we please try to assess the issue I'm having? In terms of project settings, output, etc, I have always done videos in this manner and never had a problem. It is something I'm having this once, but usually they all work fine.

• 12. Re: When rendered, still images appear in low quality
                                nealeh Level 5

Do you have a transition between the still and the video clip? If so which one?

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale
                                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 13. Re: When rendered, still images appear in low quality
                                  fmrees Level 1

Hello.

No.

I simply have a fade out on one clip and a fade in on the next clip.

It's weird.

• 14. Re: When rendered, still images appear in low quality
                                    fmrees Level 1

Also...

I have found no solution, yet.

The post before, about adding a black video there, can be ignored. As soon as I mounted the whole video again, it looked bad as it was before.

I have tried with different still images replacing those with problems, and the problem emerged with the new ones too.

The project settings are NTSC HDV 720p, and I'm publishing it as Windows Media HD 720p 30. So it's a 1280x720 format.

I have tried to publish it as MPEG HD 720p 30, and the images looked perfect. But then another image, the first one opening the video, was became all pixelated.

• 15. Re: When rendered, still images appear in low quality
                                      fmrees Level 1

Do you think that any of the options on "Field Options" could be tried to see if things change?

Interlace, Deinterlace, Flicker Removal, etc... I don't know how these work, so I'm just guessing here since I have no idea about what's going on.

• 16. Re: When rendered, still images appear in low quality
                                        nealeh Level 5

How were you adding the 'black video' to your timeline? I'm out of fresh ideas - you should probably now escalate this to Adobe support.

Cheers,
                                        --
                                        Neale
                                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 17. Re: When rendered, still images appear in low quality
                                          fmrees Level 1

I have some new information I've found out today...

Some still images look good when I publish on MPEG, but bad on Windows Media format. Others are looking good on Windows Media, but bad on MPEG.

I have tried all I can, but nothing fixes this issue.

I went as far as publishing the images as separate video files, in the format they look good, and then importing to the final video. But even then, when published in the different format at the end, they look bad again.

• 18. Re: When rendered, still images appear in low quality

Have you considered the very first thing that I suggested?

Premiere Elements is a video program. It creates video of whatever you put into it. Video looks best on a TV. That's just the nature of it! Whenever you look at video on a computer, it's compromised or adapted in some way. (WMVs are a separate issue, since you're also dealing with compression issues with them.)

If you want to create a slideshow that looks great on a computer, try Pro Show Gold -- which takes your photos and optimizes them in a format that looks best on a computer.

• 19. Re: When rendered, still images appear in low quality
                                              Nicomil2000
                                              Hi everybody,

It is a bit late to join this discussion but for vacation reasons I didn't follow the PE-Forum for a while.

I think I have a comparable problem like fmrees: Since a couple of days the resolution of the Preview in PE8 is rather poor. Unfortunately I can't say exactly when it startet. Maybe it begun after I rendered the project.
                                              After having read this issue I deleted the rendered files, looked at the preview: still the same. Re-rendering didn't improve the result.
                                              The difference between the problem of fmrees and mine is: I do not use at all still images. The only video sources are AVI-Files from MiniDV.
                                              I looked at other PE-projects I didn't touch for several week: I have the same problem! So probably it is something in the PE- or project-settings, but I have no idea what it could be (I am rather a newbee in PE).
                                              My Hard-/Software:
                                              • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz 2.80 Hz
                                                RAM 8.00 GB
                                              • OS
                                                Windows 7 Home Premium
                                              • Video:
                                                NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
                                                Philips 244E
                                              • Audio:
                                                AVerMedia H789 PCI-E DVB-T
                                                Realtek High Definition Audio
                                              • Premiere Elements V8.0
                                              • 20. Re: When rendered, still images appear in low quality
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Since you have this display issue both with and without the Render files, and were away from the computer for a bit, my first guess would be that an OS update/hot-fix has rendered your video driver obsolete. I would first go to the nVidia site and download/install the very latest driver.

I would also check the version of Apple's QT Player, that is installed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 21. Re: When rendered, still images appear in low quality
                                                  Nicomil2000 Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thank you for your fast reply.

I installed the actual video driver but nothing changed.

BUT: suddenly I realized that when rendering my project I did not render the whole project but only the part of the work area (in the timeline). I didn't know this feature since I am not yet very experienced with PE. So: after having put the whole project in the work area and starting the rendering again the video display was correct.

After all it seems that my 'prolbem' has nothing to do with the problem of fmrees.

• 22. Re: When rendered, still images appear in low quality
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

The WAB (Work Area Bar) has tripped up many. It is very useful for doing certain things, but if one does not consider it, they can get blindsided.

There are several ways to make sure that the WAB covers the entire Timeline, but this one is what I use. With focus on the Timeline, hit the \ (Backslash key), to zoom the Timeline to max. Then look at the WAB. There is a little square right in the middle. Dbl-click that square to expand the WAB to the maximum Duration of the Timeline.

WAB_Info_01.jpg

Hope this helps, and good luck,

Hunt