6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2010 3:46 PM by the_wine_snob

Going Gridless

sirjamespalace7

How do get rid of the grids/ruler markings? It will only let me slid A/V on the markings of the grid and I need to go inbetween them.

• 1. Re: Going Gridless
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I have to admit that I am lost. Can you post a screen-cap of these "Grids and markings?"

Also, if you are talking about the Frame markings on the Timeline, what do you wish to move to less than a 1 Frame increment? Most Assets cannot be moved to partial Frames, as a single Frame is the smallest unit in Video work. Audio is a bit different though.

Good luck, and I hope that you clear up my confusion,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Going Gridless
            nealeh Level 5

Zoom in until you can zoom no longer. Each division then represents a single frame allowing you the precise positioning you want.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: Going Gridless
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I agree with Neale. That "grid" (if you've zoomed in all the way) is actually indicating individual frames -- so, obviously, you can lay your video in between them!

• 4. Re: Going Gridless
                sirjamespalace7 Level 1

Yes, I am refering to the timeline rule markings.  I apologize. I'm new to this.  I come from doing music with using ProTools which has a Slip Mode so the audio can be slide freely with the mouse inspite of markings. My objective is to align the A/V of this practice song with the studio recorded audio of the same song; while, muting the sound that's with the A/V.  If I move the A/V one step to left my video is faster than the audio and currently where it is now the video slower than the audio. This is the reason I inquired about moving inbetween the grid marks. If this is not an option what else may I try to align the two?

911 Practice Example 1.jpg

• 5. Re: Going Gridless
                  nealeh Level 5

That suggests that you have a mismatch in video and external audio duration. What durations do you have for each?

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: Going Gridless
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

With Video, you cannot adjust more finely, than a single Frame. Unfortunately, unless it's been added, PrE does not allow one to work in Audio Units (based on the Sample-Rate), like PrPro does. This means that you cannot adjust Audio in an increment less than about 1/30th sec. Still, that is really a pretty fine adjustment, and 99.9% of viewers will never be able to pick up on anything less than 1/30th sec.

To get fine slipping and sliding, hit the S-key, to turn OFF Snap. That allows one to move, say the Audio easily, especially if near the Head, or Tail, of a Clip, or Transition. Just hit S again, to toggle it back on.

Good luck,

Hunt