4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2010 6:15 AM by Steve Grisetti

how do I transfer video from laptop to desktop

1_dizzy Level 1

I spent the entire weekend away from home filming basketball games.  Instead of buying a bunch of memery

cards, I did about 3-4 games and put it on my laptop, filmed 3-4 again and put on my laptop, etc.

I was hoping that I could install them on my desktop later which has the power to edit these videos.

I use a Canon HF200 camcorder with HD video,  big big files.  I have a 16GB card, can I just add them back to card through the laptop, then insert card into desktop to open them back up, or is there a better way?

Please help, I've been working on Highlight video for this team.  most of my project is on my desktop and my time limit is nearing. 

Thanks

• 1. Re: how do I transfer video from laptop to desktop
          the_wine_snob Level 9

First, do you have a NIC card/connector in each computer? If so, you can easily create a LAN with just a cable and a bit of setup in the OS of each computer.

If not, then you can pick up an external HDD, Copy from the laptop to the external and then from it to the desktop. For the straight Copy work, USB 2.0 will work fine. However, if you might wish to edit to/from that external, I strongly recommend going to a FW-400 minimum. Many externals offer multiple connections types, say USB 2.0, FW-400 and FW-800. Of course, each computer will need the proper connections, such as the USB 2.0, or the FW-400 (called IEEE-1394, or IEEE-1394a, or iLink).

Flash/thumbdrives might work too, but with very large files, many have issues with those. I use a handful of FW-800 (IEEE-1394b) externals for such files.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: how do I transfer video from laptop to desktop
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The challenge with that camcorder is that it records in many different quality modes -- and not all are compatible with Premiere Elements. Only video recorded in FXP or MXP will work -- and then if your Premiere Elements project is set up for working with 1920x1080 AVCHD video. (It's very important to match the project's settings to your footage.)

Beyond that, as Hunt says, there are a number of ways to move the files from one computer to another -- and pretty much any way you can move files that large will work.

Your bigger challenge (and one you should do a test run with before you commit too much time into this project in) is whether or not your footage will actually edit in Premiere Elements. So please do try a test project of a short video before you sit down to try to work with hours and hours of video. Ultimately, it could save you a lot of heartache later.

• 3. Re: how do I transfer video from laptop to desktop
              1_dizzy Level 1

I've had the camcorder for sometime and made plenty highlight videos using elements.  I just had this issue I wasn't sure about transfering video from computer to computer.   I bet I got over 200 gb of video this weekend alone.  I made nice highlight video from the football season with it and the parents loved it.   they showed it at the banquet on a 100+ inch projection tv and it looked really good off a dvd I burned for them all.

look up 75dizzyd on youtube and see my basketball highlight sample I just did.  Any more info would be appreciated.  you can never learn enough abou tthis stuff.

• 4. Re: how do I transfer video from laptop to desktop
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you really want to learn this program inside and out, of course, you'll want to check out our videomaker support site http://Muvipix.com or my books (based on my 6 years experience hosting this forum) available on Amazon and at the Muvipix store.

I've also created a free 8-part tutorial series called Basic Training with Premiere Elements which is worth checking out. For Muvipix site subscribers there is my Intermediate Training series as well as over 1000 tutorials, tips, DVD templates, motion backgrounds and licensed music clips on the site!

Happy moviemaking, Dizzy!

1 person found this helpful