7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2010 2:59 PM by Jim_Simon

Color correction help - step-by-step

rowby Level 1

I'd appreciate some help with a snippet from a video I posted on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DFqIQPH_iU

This video was shot with three cameras. The wide shot has the most "correct colors". The video from that wide shot camera is what I want to use as my benchmark. I want to get the two "close up" cameras to match, as much as possible, the colors from the "wide shot" camera,

The two close up cameras have a little too much saturation in at least the red areas -- note the reds in the painted background. The close ups have a bit too much red, which is particularly noticeable in the painted background

So my question is what Adobe CS5 color correction tools should I use to give me the color correction I need.

For example, in what order should I use the various color correction tools? Or is there one tool I can use that will "fix" it all.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Color correction help - step-by-step
          RDA972 Level 3

I suggest you do a Google search.

There are many tutorials online explaining the process.

Here's a good one :

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/premierepro/articles/prp2am_3wcolor.html

• 2. Re: Color correction help - step-by-step
            shooternz Level 6

Its going to be a bit trial and error because thats the way it is in the CC workflow.

I agree its a bit of a saturation (red) issue which you already identified so deal with that.

Try LEVELS in the red channels (and most likely red gamma - which is the mids)

Shouldnt be too difficult because its not too bad as it is.

Maybe with LEVELS drop the RGB Gamma (or Black) to bring the BG down a bit on the refernce clip ( effectively saturating it a little more)

Tip: Set up a Reference Monitor with the reference clip.

• 3. Re: Color correction help - step-by-step
              Powered by Design Level 4

I cant help with the color part but was wondering if you were the one who shoot the video.

I like Paula Poundstone.

Seen her a few years back when she was performing near where I live.

She seems like she is still funny.

GLenn

• 4. Re: Color correction help - step-by-step
                rowby Level 1

Hi Glenn

I ran the two close up cameras.  And yes, Paula was and is hysterical.  She's funny from another planet.  In this performance she was totally ad lib, improvising and had the audience on the floor with laughter.

Rowby

• 5. Re: Color correction help - step-by-step
                  rowby Level 1

shooternz wrote:

Its going to be a bit trial and error because thats the way it is in the CC workflow.

I agree its a bit of a saturation (red) issue which you already identified so deal with that.

Try LEVELS in the red channels (and most likely red gamma - which is the mids)

Shouldnt be too difficult because its not too bad as it is.

Maybe with LEVELS drop the RGB Gamma (or Black) to bring the BG down a bit on the refernce clip ( effectively saturating it a little more)

Tip: Set up a Reference Monitor with the reference clip.

Hi

I am on another computer this morning without Premiere -- I assume a Reference Monitor is one I set up within Premiere -- not a physical external monitor.

I will try your suggestions -- BTW is an eyedropper included in Levels?   So I can do some color matching, or is that something completely different.

Rowby

• 6. Re: Color correction help - step-by-step
                    shooternz Level 6
                    I assume a Reference Monitor is one I set up within Premiere -- not a physical external monitor.

Correct.

Use the Composite video as well as the waveform and vector scope.  (The vector scope will help you see and sort the red level somewhat)

You dont really need an eyedropper for this function in Levels

• 7. Re: Color correction help - step-by-step
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      I assume a Reference Monitor is one I set up within Premiere -- not a physical external monitor.

In addition to the intended meaning, you should always have a properly calibrated external monitor of the highest quality you can afford for CC work.