19 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2010 5:00 PM by the_wine_snob

Can't Burn WMV file created by Premier Elements 8

xcritic

I organized a slideshow in Photoshop Elements 8 which then opened Adobe Premier 8. Adobe Premier 8 created a .WMV file of slide show. I have tried to burn the .WMV file using Ashampoo Burning 8. Ashampoo runs but in the end annouces DVD burn has failed. I can burn a CD so I dont think its Plextor drive. Ashampoo tech seems to be of no help. Am wondering if anyone else has trouble burning WMV files of slideshows?

• 1. Re: Can't Burn WMV file created by Premier Elements 8
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not sure we can help you with a third-party program. Why aren't you outputting your WMV from Premiere Elements or, if you're creating your slideshow in the Elements Organizer, why aren't you just outputting your WMV directly from there?

It's not clear why or how you're involving Ashampoo in this whole workflow.

Or are you saying you created a WMV from Premiere Elements -- and now you're trying to burn that WMV to a disc with your disc burner software?

I'm not sure why you're doing that -- the resulting disc will NOT play on a DVD player. But it might help to know if your DVD burner is a DVD-R or a DVD+R burner and which type of discs you're using in the drive.

• 2. Re: Can't Burn WMV file created by Premier Elements 8
            xcritic Level 1

This will sound real stupid but will Premier 8 Burn my DVD also?

• 3. Re: Can't Burn WMV file created by Premier Elements 8
              nealeh Level 5

Are you trying to burn a DVD that will play on standalone DVD players connected to a television? If so then WMV is the incorrect format - you should be using Share> Disk> DVD.

Yes - PRE can burn directly to disk for you. But generally we recommend using it to burn to folder and then use a burning program (e.g. Ashampoo) to create the disk at no more than x4 speed.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Can't Burn WMV file created by Premier Elements 8
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes... PreEl is designed to edit and author (burn) a DVD

Some reading and links http://forums.adobe.com/thread/498626?tstart=0

• 5. Re: Can't Burn WMV file created by Premier Elements 8
                  xcritic Level 1

I'm trying to create DVD that will play on any TV

• 6. Re: Can't Burn WMV file created by Premier Elements 8

As Neale says, you want to use Premiere Elements Share/To Disc option. This will create the VIDEO_ts files for your DVD.

You can find instructions for adding and customizing DVD menus in my Steve's Tips articles at http://Muvipix.com as well as detailed instructions in my books.

http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchphrase=creating+dvd+menus&btn.x=0&btn.y=0

• 7. Re: Can't Burn WMV file created by Premier Elements 8
                      nealeh Level 5

Make sure when burning with Ashampoo that you select the appropriate option to define it as a media DVD, not a data DVD.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale

• 8. Re: Can't Burn WMV file created by Premier Elements 8
                        hcaadobe

First post to a site like this - this string is a little old and I may be a little off topic.  But here goes.

When I output ("share") a slideshow from Elements 8 to burn to a DVD, Elements encodes, etc., so the .wmv file will be viewable on a tv screen through a dvd player.  But the quality of the burned DVD always has problems.  I use a lot of pan and zoom, and even though they are smooth and continuous before outputting to a DVD, on the DVD there is always a pause (stop) on each slide before the panning/zooming begins, and there is also a lot of shimmer or waviness or rippling in the images on TV as the panning/zooming happens.  

Is there anything I can do about any of this?

Thanks.

• 9. Re: Can't Burn WMV file created by Premier Elements 8
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Do you have to have the WMV format/CODEC?

If the intended delivery is a DVD-Video, playable from a DVD player, hooked to a TV, or on a computer via a DVD software player, I would choose to author and burn a DVD-Video, which will be MPEG-2 Transcoding in the VIDEO_TS folder, with the correct ancillary files.

From PSE, one can choose Send to PrE. That saves that WMV encoding. Then, in PrE, just use its authoring capabilities to Burn to Disc for a fully compatible DVD-Video.

If you have other needs, let us know, as someone can likely help you achieve that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Can't Burn WMV file created by Premier Elements 8
                            hcaadobe Level 1

Thanks.

I am completely an amateur about all this, so I am probably being thick.

When I click on "output" in PSE 8 (I am trying to output a slideshow ), I see no way to get to PrE (whatever that is).  After I click "output" there are four original options (file, disc, TV, Premiere), and each of these leads to other options, but none of the options is PrE or anything like that.

So I must just be missing something.

Harlan Jones

• 11. Re: Can't Burn WMV file created by Premier Elements 8
                              hcaadobe Level 1

I am thick.  It just dawned on me that PrE is Premiere Elements.  Let me work with this some more.

I tried sending slideshows to PrE in earlier versions (6 and 7) and it always somehow ended up a mess, but I will try again.

Thanks again.

Harlan Jones

• 12. Re: Can't Burn WMV file created by Premier Elements 8
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                It just dawned on me that PrE is Premiere Elements.

You beat me to it!!! Sorry that I confused you. I have gotten so lazy, that I just type PrE, for Premiere Elements, and PrPro, for Premiere Pro (another Adobe video editing program). Same for PS, or PSE for Photoshop and Photoshop Elements.

Good luck, and let us know how that direct to Premiere Elements method works.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Can't Burn WMV file created by Premier Elements 8
                                  hcaadobe Level 1

Thanks again.

I did as you suggested and I'm basically back to where I started.

I outputted a Pr8 slideshow to PrE.  I then burned the slideshow onto a DVD using the "share" function at PrE. 

It is incredibly slow -- takes about 3 hours -- but it did burn the DVD.  I did this before on earlier versions of Elements (Pr6, I think), and now I remember why I stopped doing it. 

The resulting DVD is not acceptable.  Two main problems. 

First, instead of smooth, continuous panning and zooming, every single slide, after the fade transition, is still, and then it jerks into panning and zooming. 

Second, the overall quality is not so great.  Lots of shimmer/jiggle during the panning and zooming, and a lot of general mushiness.  Text I've inserted onto slides often has really mushy edges.  I've completely given up trying to use a shadow color behind text because even though it looks good in the preview when I'm making the slideshow, on screen using the DVD, it just compounds the problem of the mushiness.

We have a brand new, high-end HP computer with Windows 7 with all programs and drivers fully updated, so I don't think there is a problem outside Adobe.

Because PrE generated DVDs that weren't so good (sorry) , I started saving the Pr8 slideshows as .wmv files and then trying to use Roxio to burn the .wmv file onto a DVD using its encoding.  Roxio generated one DVD that way that worked very well:  much sharper quality photos and text and smooth, continuous panning and zooming, but then Roxio started generating error messages at the end of the DVD-creation process and Roxio tech support tells me it is an unsolvable problem, so they're refunding my money. 

I prefer Adobe anyway and only tried Roxio because of the problems with Adobe DVDs mentioned above.

So, is there any other way I can go about this within Adobe that will help solve the pan-zoom and mushiness problems?

I really appreciate your help.  It takes me many hours to create these slideshows of family vacations and it's very frustrating to then end up not being able to generate the end product - a quality DVD - at the end.

Harlan Jones

• 14. Re: Can't Burn WMV file created by Premier Elements 8

Did you resize your photos to no larger than 1000x750 pixels, per the FAQs to the right of this forum?

If you do this, your video slides should look as clean as the originals -- and your rendering time should take only a few seconds per slide.

• 15. Re: Can't Burn WMV file created by Premier Elements 8
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

If you did not resize your stills, this ARTICLE will be useful. While written for Photoshop, most of it applies to PSElements, as well.

Also, what brand of blank DVD are you using?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Can't Burn WMV file created by Premier Elements 8
                                        hcaadobe Level 1

We are using Sony discs.  

When I click on the link you sent, I get an error message.

I have now looked up info within Adobe about resizing to reduce pixels (for example,  http ://kb2.adobe.com/cps/331/331327. html ), but the information assumes I know more than I do.  (And by the way, that web page says near the very end that there is a Captivate demonstration "below," but if there is one there, I sure don't see it, or a link to one.) 

I have really basic questions, such as:

If I have a file with a bunch of photos I am going to use for a Photoshop slideshow , do I have to resize each photo individually before moving them to to the slideshow , or can I resize them as a group, or can I resize them collectively once they're moved into the slideshow ?

Whether I have to do it one-at-a-time or can do groups of photos, how and when do I do it?  Unless I've just missed it (and I probably have), none of the tutorials of forum posts actually describe the stuff an idiot like me needs:  step-by-step instructions to get from a photo that needs to be resized to reduce pixels to a photo that is resized and in a slideshow . 

Thanks.

Harlan Jones

• 17. Re: Can't Burn WMV file created by Premier Elements 8
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                                          When I click on the link you sent, I get an error message.

My guess is that you have an issue with your browser's security settings. Try doing a Copy/Paste of this URL: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798?tstart=0

We are using Sony discs.

I would anticipate that Sony has good quality discs, but they may have adopted the "Memorex business model," of buying the cheapest disc that day, and just rebranding them with the Sony logo. TDK, and Ritek both fell into that camp, when they each once made good media. There are several utilities, that can tell you just who did mfgr. the disc. I use the great, free burning utility, ImgBurn to survey the blank media. I also only use Taiyo-Yuden for DVD-5's and Verbatims for DVD-9's. Both are highly respected brands, and are the two most-often recommended ones.

If I have a file with a bunch of photos I am going to use for a Photoshop slideshow , do I have to resize each photo individually before moving them to to the slideshow , or can I resize them as a group, or can I resize them collectively once they're moved into the slideshow ?

I do not know about Photoshop Elements, but in Photoshop, one just writes an Action, and can resize an entire folder of images in minutes, automatically. I have begged for some PSE user to comment on ways to automatically resize still images in PSE, but so far, no one has done so. I cannot tell you if/how it's done in PSE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Can't Burn WMV file created by Premier Elements 8
                                            nealeh Level 5

the_wine_snob wrote:

I have begged for some PSE user to comment on ways to automatically resize still images in PSE, but so far, no one has done so. I cannot tell you if/how it's done in PSE.

For PRE7:

1:     Select a bunch of images

1.png

2:     Select File> Export as New File(s)...

2.png

3:     Select a format, size and output location.

3.png

4.png

Hope this helps for PRE8 as well.

Cheers,
                                            --
                                            Neale

• 19. Re: Can't Burn WMV file created by Premier Elements 8
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Thank you, thank you! I guess that begging in the PSE forum was just the wrong place - who knew? Should have begged here. If you do not mind, would you please go to the "Large Still Images... " THREAD, and add this for PSE users? This will help many.

Greatly appreciated,

Hunt