5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2007 11:42 PM by Newsgroup_User

OT. Sending fonts

Level 7
      I'm trying to send some fonts along with a job to a printer.

The fonts are in a folder and the folder is 998k. Once zipped the folder
      comes down to 4k. Once unzipped the folder has all the font icons in it
      but the size of each font file is zero?

Has anyone else experienced this before.

I've sent loads of fonts in zipped folders before and no-one else has
      mentioned this issue? Maybe the printer just had the fonts and didnt
      mention it....humm.

I've made a few experiment by zipping, uploading and downloading,
      unzipping...and true enough the files appear as though they are empty?

WTF gives?

• 1. Re: OT. Sending fonts
          Level 7
          Its very starnge I've just checked some zipped artwork I have on my own
          server and was sent over a year ago and sure enough the fonts folders,
          although showing the font icons, appears to be 0kb.

I'm just wondering if this is the way they transfer and are ok since no
          other printer has mentioned it.

I've not really taken much notice until now to be honest.

Osgood wrote:

> I'm trying to send some fonts along with a job to a printer.
          >
          > The fonts are in a folder and the folder is 998k. Once zipped the folder
          > comes down to 4k. Once unzipped the folder has all the font icons in it
          > but the size of each font file is zero?
          >
          > Has anyone else experienced this before.
          >
          > I've sent loads of fonts in zipped folders before and no-one else has
          > mentioned this issue? Maybe the printer just had the fonts and didnt
          > mention it....humm.
          >
          > I've made a few experiment by zipping, uploading and downloading,
          > unzipping...and true enough the files appear as though they are empty?
          >
          > WTF gives?
          >

• 2. Re: OT. Sending fonts
            Level 7
            > WTF gives?

Is it zero k AFTER unzipping? Or just viewing it via winzip's viewer?

These days, it probably makes more sense to just send PDFs anyways. Might be
            the easiest route.

-Darrel

• 3. Re: OT. Sending fonts
              Level 7
              darrel wrote:

>>WTF gives?
              >
              >
              > Is it zero k AFTER unzipping? Or just viewing it via winzip's viewer?

Yeah. When I drop the fonts folder onto 'DropZip' its 998kb. After its
              zipped it's 4k (didn't particularly take any notice of the zipped file
              size) However having been alerted to it by the printer I unzipped the
              fonts folder myself and sure enough it was 0kb. All the font icons were
              in the folder but all the file were 0kb...weird.

Since then I've done various experiment of just dropping the unzipped
              fonts folder directly onto the server with the same results. The folder
              ends up 0kb, although it starts out at 998kb

It's not just this particular zipped font files, it now appears to be
              all of them I have been sending.

Now I'm aware of the issue I dowloaded some other zipped artwork from my
              server which contains font folders and they are all the same, 0kb but
              all the font icons present.

As I said before no one else has mentioned this. So I must have been
              sending 0kb font folder for several years....humm.

> These days, it probably makes more sense to just send PDFs anyways. Might be
              > the easiest route.

I nearly always do now as an option but the production guy said he'd
              rather use the Xpress files and the fonts.

He suggested stuffing the fonts folder rather than zipping it. But I
              dont know what the difference is.

Anyhow I'll try that over the weekend but I cant see it will make any
              difference given the unzipped fonts folder droppped directly onto the
              server did'nt work either.

• 4. Re: OT. Sending fonts
                Level 7
                > Yeah. When I drop the fonts folder onto 'DropZip' its 998kb. After its
                > zipped it's 4k (didn't particularly take any notice of the zipped file
                > size) However having been alerted to it by the printer I unzipped the
                > fonts folder myself and sure enough it was 0kb. All the font icons were in
                > the folder but all the file were 0kb...weird.

Are you maybe dragging shortcuts instead of the actual font files? Just a
                guess.

> I nearly always do now as an option but the production guy said he'd
                > rather use the Xpress files and the fonts.

Eww. Xpress. good luck. ;o)

> He suggested stuffing the fonts folder rather than zipping it. But I dont
                > know what the difference is.

Well, Stuffit is just another proprietary compression system. I'm guessing
                your printer is on a Mac and holding on to his/her old ways.

-Darrel

• 5. Re: OT. Sending fonts
                  Level 7
                  darrel wrote:
                  >>Yeah. When I drop the fonts folder onto 'DropZip' its 998kb. After its
                  >>zipped it's 4k (didn't particularly take any notice of the zipped file
                  >>size) However having been alerted to it by the printer I unzipped the
                  >>fonts folder myself and sure enough it was 0kb. All the font icons were in
                  >>the folder but all the file were 0kb...weird.
                  >
                  >
                  > Are you maybe dragging shortcuts instead of the actual font files? Just a
                  > guess.

Nope. Just dropping the whole folder onto the desktop 'dropzip' icon

>>I nearly always do now as an option but the production guy said he'd
                  >>rather use the Xpress files and the fonts.
                  >
                  >
                  > Eww. Xpress. good luck. ;o)

lol. Sometimes I still prefer to give printers Xpress IF they are
                  available to collect the artwork. But pdfs are much better when trying
                  to send via the internet.

>>He suggested stuffing the fonts folder rather than zipping it. But I dont
                  >>know what the difference is.
                  >
                  >
                  > Well, Stuffit is just another proprietary compression system. I'm guessing
                  > your printer is on a Mac and holding on to his/her old ways.

Dunno its bskyb satelite who also get involved its seems in some
                  publishing work.

Anyway I think we will have no alternative other than to use the pdf in
                  this situation.