12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2007 4:07 PM by Newsgroup_User

Feedback forms

ambient2000
      Hi,

I have set up some forms for this website: www.nownforevergifts.com.au (/Contact.html & /Wholesale.html)

When you press submit, you are meant to be redirected to another page called 'thanks.html' Nothing happens when I press submit. Any ideas what I have done wrong? Regards
        • 1. Re: Feedback forms
          Level 7
          ambient2000 wrote:

> Hi,
          >
          > I have set up some forms for this website: www.nownforevergifts.com.au
          > (/Contact.html & /Wholesale.html)
          >
          > When you press submit, you are meant to be redirected to another page called
          > 'thanks.html' Nothing happens when I press submit. Any ideas what I have done
          > wrong? Regards
          >

Somehow you have messed up the form code.

Your first line should be:

<form name="Contact us Form" method="POST"
          action="cgi-bin/formmail/FormMail.pl" >

Not:

<form2 method="POST" action="cgi-bin/formmail/FormMail.pl" name="Contact
          us Form">

Plus your closing form tag should be: </form> and not </FORM2>. Like below.

<input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Submit" id="Submit" /></p>
          </form>

• 2. Re: Feedback forms
            Level 7
            > Your first line should be:
            >
            > <form name="Contact us Form" method="POST"
            > action="cgi-bin/formmail/FormMail.pl" >
            >
            > Not:
            >
            > <form2 method="POST" action="cgi-bin/formmail/FormMail.pl" name="Contact
            > us Form">

It doesn't matter - either line would work the same. The only mistake I see
            there is the in both instances the name of the form cannot contain spaces.
            Validation would have caught this, Mr. Smarty. 8)

> Plus your closing form tag should be: </form> and not </FORM2>. Like
            > below.

That would matter.

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
            ==================

"Osgood" <notavailable@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
            news:f9u8m8$jq0$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > ambient2000 wrote:
            >
            >> Hi,
            >>
            >> I have set up some forms for this website: www.nownforevergifts.com.au
            >> (/Contact.html & /Wholesale.html)
            >>
            >> When you press submit, you are meant to be redirected to another page
            >> called 'thanks.html' Nothing happens when I press submit. Any ideas what
            >> I have done wrong? Regards
            >>
            >
            > Somehow you have messed up the form code.
            >
            > Your first line should be:
            >
            > <form name="Contact us Form" method="POST"
            > action="cgi-bin/formmail/FormMail.pl" >
            >
            > Not:
            >
            > <form2 method="POST" action="cgi-bin/formmail/FormMail.pl" name="Contact
            > us Form">
            >
            >
            > Plus your closing form tag should be: </form> and not </FORM2>. Like
            > below.
            >
            >
            > <input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Submit" id="Submit" /></p>
            > </form>
            >

• 3. Re: Feedback forms
              Level 7
              Murray *ACE* wrote:

>>Your first line should be:
              >>
              >><form name="Contact us Form" method="POST"
              >>action="cgi-bin/formmail/FormMail.pl" >
              >>
              >>Not:
              >>
              >><form2 method="POST" action="cgi-bin/formmail/FormMail.pl" name="Contact
              >>us Form">
              >
              >
              > It doesn't matter - either line would work the same. The only mistake I see
              > there is the in both instances the name of the form cannot contain spaces.
              > Validation would have caught this, Mr. Smarty. 8)

Spaces or no spaces that won't affect the submitting of the form, I
              nearly always try it out before I make a reply, Mr Smarty ;)

• 4. Re: Feedback forms
                Level 7
                Osgood wrote:

> Murray *ACE* wrote:
                >
                >>> Your first line should be:
                >>>
                >>> <form name="Contact us Form" method="POST"
                >>> action="cgi-bin/formmail/FormMail.pl" >
                >>>
                >>> Not:
                >>>
                >>> <form2 method="POST" action="cgi-bin/formmail/FormMail.pl"
                >>> name="Contact us Form">
                >>
                >>
                >>
                >> It doesn't matter - either line would work the same. The only mistake
                >> I see there is the in both instances the name of the form cannot
                >> contain spaces. Validation would have caught this, Mr. Smarty. 8)
                >
                >
                > Spaces or no spaces that won't affect the submitting of the form, I
                > nearly always try it out before I make a reply, Mr Smarty ;)

This would also work but the '2' should be there after of the the 'form'

<form method="POST" action="cgi-bin/formmail/FormMail.pl" name="Contact
                us Form">

• 5. Re: Feedback forms
                  Level 7
                  Osgood wrote:

> This would also work but the '2' should be there after of the the 'form'

That of course should be 'SHOULD NOT' not 'SHOULD'

• 6. Re: Feedback forms
                    Level 7
                    > Spaces or no spaces that won't affect the submitting of the form, I nearly
                    > always try it out before I make a reply, Mr Smarty ;)

Not if you are trying to access the form's posted data by name, so, although
                    you could submit it, you couldn't process it properly or client-side
                    validate it.

--
                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                    Adobe Community Expert
                    ==================
                    ==================

"Osgood" <notavailable@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
                    news:f9ureo$ccd$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Murray *ACE* wrote:
                    >
                    >>>Your first line should be:
                    >>>
                    >>><form name="Contact us Form" method="POST"
                    >>>action="cgi-bin/formmail/FormMail.pl" >
                    >>>
                    >>>Not:
                    >>>
                    >>><form2 method="POST" action="cgi-bin/formmail/FormMail.pl" name="Contact
                    >>>us Form">
                    >>
                    >>
                    >> It doesn't matter - either line would work the same. The only mistake I
                    >> see there is the in both instances the name of the form cannot contain
                    >> spaces. Validation would have caught this, Mr. Smarty. 8)
                    >
                    > Spaces or no spaces that won't affect the submitting of the form, I nearly
                    > always try it out before I make a reply, Mr Smarty ;)
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >

• 7. Re: Feedback forms
                      Level 7
                      Murray *ACE* wrote:

>>Spaces or no spaces that won't affect the submitting of the form, I nearly
                      >>always try it out before I make a reply, Mr Smarty ;)
                      >
                      >
                      > Not if you are trying to access the form's posted data by name, so, although
                      > you could submit it, you couldn't process it properly or client-side
                      > validate it.
                      >

That wasn't the question asked was it. Maybe that will be the next one.

• 8. Re: Feedback forms
                        Level 7
                        Osgood wrote:

> That wasn't the question asked was it. Maybe that will be the next one.
                        >

It shouldn't be as the formmails script validation functions does not
                        care if you name the form or not :)

• 9. Re: Feedback forms
                          Level 7
                          .oO(Murray *ACE*)

>> Spaces or no spaces that won't affect the submitting of the form, I nearly
                          >> always try it out before I make a reply, Mr Smarty ;)
                          >
                          >Not if you are trying to access the form's posted data by name, so, although
                          >you could submit it, you couldn't process it properly or client-side
                          >validate it.

The name of the form itself is never submitted to the server. You might
                          need it for client-side scripting, though, even if using an ID would be
                          preferred then (the name attribute is just there for backwards
                          compatibility).

Using spaces in a control's name is something different. Technically
                          it's allowed (and works here), but most likely it's not recommended.

Micha
                          • 10. Re: Feedback forms
                            ambient2000 Level 1
                            I tried the things that were suggested and still haven't been able to fix the feedback forms. Firstly, I changed the name of the file from Formmail.pl to Formmail.cgi because I thought it would work.

The reason I changed the name of the form to Form2 was because it stopped some of the boxes turning yellow in IE. If anyone knows how to fix it, it would be greatly appreciated.

On my local site, when I press the submit button it redirects me to the Formmail.cgi page instead of the thanks.html page. On the remote site it comes up with an error page.

Thanks for any help. Regards.
                            • 11. Re: Feedback forms
                              Level 7
                              >I tried the things that were suggested and still haven't been able to fix
                              >the
                              > feedback forms. Firstly, I changed the name of the file from Formmail.pl
                              > to
                              > Formmail.cgi because I thought it would work.

I don't think it matters. They are both perl.

> The reason I changed the name of the form to Form2 was because it stopped
                              > some
                              > of the boxes turning yellow in IE. If anyone knows how to fix it, it would
                              > be
                              > greatly appreciated.

That's your Google toolbar doing that.

> On my local site, when I press the submit button it redirects me to the
                              > Formmail.cgi page

Yes, it should. It's the formmail page that must process the form and do
                              the redirection to the thank you page.

> On the remote site it comes up with an error page.

That means that your path/filename for the processing script is not correct.
                              Ask your host to help you.

--
                              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                              Adobe Community Expert
                              ==================
                              ==================

"ambient2000" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                              news:fa00kr$ob5$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              >I tried the things that were suggested and still haven't been able to fix
                              >the
                              > feedback forms. Firstly, I changed the name of the file from Formmail.pl
                              > to
                              > Formmail.cgi because I thought it would work.
                              >
                              > The reason I changed the name of the form to Form2 was because it stopped
                              > some
                              > of the boxes turning yellow in IE. If anyone knows how to fix it, it would
                              > be
                              > greatly appreciated.
                              >
                              > On my local site, when I press the submit button it redirects me to the
                              > Formmail.cgi page instead of the thanks.html page. On the remote site it
                              > comes
                              > up with an error page.
                              >
                              > Thanks for any help. Regards.
                              >

• 12. Re: Feedback forms
                                bregent Most Valuable Participant
                                >I tried the things that were suggested and still haven't been able to fix the feedback forms. Firstly, I changed the
                                >name of the file from Formmail.pl to Formmail.cgi because I thought it would work.

The script is a perl script so it probably needs the pl extension.

>The reason I changed the name of the form to Form2 was because it stopped some of
                                >the boxes turning yellow in IE. If anyone knows how to fix it, it would be greatly appreciated.

That's just google toolbar or something similar. Ignore that.