7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2010 6:06 PM by mistercheung

Adobe Reader/Acrobat can't open online PDF's Suggestions ???

dougward

Hi There-

I am using Firefox for my browser and if I try to open any online pdf page I get the following message

"The Acrobat/Reader that is running can not be used to view PDF files in a web browser. please exit Adobe Acrobat/Reader and exit your web browser and try again"

I have checked for updates in Firefox, Adobe Acrobat, and Adobe reader, which is 9.3 version. But to no avail,,,I still get the same message. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Sincerely- Doug

P.S. Let me know if you need further information to help diaganose the problem.

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader/Acrobat can't open online PDF's Suggestions ???
          pwillener Level 8

See if this article contains any solution for you http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405461.html

If you need more help, please post your operating system.

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader/Acrobat can't open online PDF's Suggestions ???
            dougward Level 1

Hi There-

I read the articel, that you very much !!! but it did not help. I tried all solutions that it offered. My operating system is XP Home with service pack 3. I also have Adobe Acrobat 6.0 professional. I know it's old but if someone might think that might be a problem, I at least wanted to communicate that. Thanks again for any and all help.

Sincerely- Doug

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader/Acrobat can't open online PDF's Suggestions ???
              mistercheung

Hi,

I am having the same trouble, but with my Mac. I can't read pdf's online from my online account. It keeps saying I need to install an Asian Font Pack. I've tried installing all language updates for Adobe Reader 9.3.3, but it still doesn't work. I've recently updated my Mac to Snow Leopard, and I think it may be one reason because I was still able to open files before my update.

Anyone with a similar problem or solution? Thanks in advance.

Alan

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader/Acrobat can't open online PDF's Suggestions ???
                dougward Level 1

Hi There-

I figured what the problem was. I had Acrobat 6.0 on my computer and bacause that is such an old version of software, it was causing issues with reader. After I un-installed the Acrobat 6.0, and re-installed Reader 9.3.3, it worked great. Not sure if others might be having the same problem or not, but they might want to look at any older software,,,it might be causing causing issues with Reader 9.3.3.

• 5. Re: Adobe Reader/Acrobat can't open online PDF's Suggestions ???
                  ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

dougward wrote:

Hi There-

I figured what the problem was. I had Acrobat 6.0 on my computer and bacause that is such an old version of software, it was causing issues with reader. After I un-installed the Acrobat 6.0, and re-installed Reader 9.3.3, it worked great. Not sure if others might be having the same problem or not, but they might want to look at any older software,,,it might be causing causing issues with Reader 9.3.3.

It's not because it's an older version. It's just not a good idea to have both products installed.They constantly battle for shared resources with unpredictable results.

Thus the reason Adobe does not recommend nor support having both installed.

• 6. Re: Adobe Reader/Acrobat can't open online PDF's Suggestions ???
                    ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

mistercheung wrote:

Hi,

I am having the same trouble, but with my Mac.

So in other words, you are having a completely different problem that isn't related to this one at all. Different issue and not even the same OS.

Have you tried removing Reader and reinstalling then running repair disk permissions? Does it do this with ALL PDF's or just certain ones?

mistercheung wrote:

I can't read pdf's online from my online account.

What does that mean "online from my online account"?

• 7. Re: Adobe Reader/Acrobat can't open online PDF's Suggestions ???
                      mistercheung Level 1

I upgraded from OS Leopard 10.5 to OS Snow Leopard 10.6 recently, which is why I mentioned it could be "the" cause or "one" cause of me not being able to read online pdf's. My online pdf bank statements do not open up with Reader 9.3.3. The website simply says I need to download "Asian Font Pack" in order to read the pdf document. I've downloaded all languages, yet I'm still getting the same message. I've also triple checked to see if I have an older version of Reader that might be of hindrance. I only have 9.3.3 installed.

I am able to read pdf's already downloaded on my computer, just not the online pdf's I want to open.

So, I'm not sure if the problem is Adobe Reader or me upgrading to Snow Leopard (since I was able to read pdf's with Leopard).

I hope this clarifies my previous plea for help. Thanks.

Alan