take a look at this section
how I got to this is right clicking on a the swf within the browser, Settings, goto the Privacy tab then Advance button, from the menu on the left click on Global Security Settings panel
you need to add your local folder that you are publishing to as a local trusted location.
the 1st URL should give you more details.
Thanks, but it didn't work. I added my C: drive as a trusted location to Always Allow, but I got the same error as before.
are you publishing direct to the c: or a sub folder. I believe you must specify the folder you are publishing into.
if that still does not work, you could also install a local webserver.
I specifically added the subfolder on C:/ where the published files go; still no luck.
This is odd, because previous Captivate projects have played just fine, even on our network drives. And of course, once it's finished, it's going to the customer's own network drive via ZIP file.
Ahhh a clue!
Are you by chance zipping the file, then attempting to open the Zip archive and just run the HTML from there? If so, that will likely fail miserably because the zip will only extract the single file to a temporary folder to run it and the associated files won't be found.
If this is what you are doing, you need to first extract ALL the files from the zip. Then run the HTML file!
Helpful and Handy Links
absolutely agree. when you view a file from a zip file, it only extracts that file into your $temp. if you tried to view the html file it would extract only that file. the html file then would try to find the swf referenced in the sam $temp folder, which it will not find.
if you are trying to view from zip file follow Rick's advice.
No, that's only for delivery of the finished product. (And I tell them about unzipping and storing the project to a network location.)
This is mid-development, when it's still just located on my own hard drive. I can't play the published file from my C:/folder/ structure. Nothing's been zipped yet.
Update: I suspect some sort of file corruption was going on. Creating new projects worked fine; all of them played from both the C: drive and the customer's network folder.
Also, importing these project slides into a new project under a different name allowed the published file to play too. I'm still not sure what was causing the problem, but at least I can now play the project properly and finish development.
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.