3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2010 11:20 AM by the_wine_snob

ASF cannot be imported because of a header error.

BG Solutions

I’ve got a huge number of ASF files that use an odd-ball sharp audio codec. With PP-CS4/XP I was able to import and work with these files. After upgrading to PP-CS5/Win7-64 old project files won’t import the source clips nor will the clips import into a fresh project. WMP has no problem playing the files. CS5 works fine with more standard file types so I don’t think it’s an install issue.

I’m sure I could find some little freeware conversion utility and run a massive conversion to a more standard encoding, but I’m not sure I can do it lossless and the thought of relinking all of these files is frightening.

BTW: I have no control over the source file format. It is what it is and I’m stuck with it. I hate to think I’m going to have to reinstall CS4 for this project alone :-(

Thanks.

• 1. Re: ASF cannot be imported because of a header error.
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you convert your ASF files to more common format/CODEC? That would be my first choice. If SD, I would choose DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - my guess would be that the CODEC that worked in PrPro earlier, is just not installed, or is 32-bit only. This has tripped up many.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: ASF cannot be imported because of a header error.
            BG Solutions Level 1

Thanks.

I’m sure I can find something to batch convert but relinking to the converted source files would be a nightmare.

The audio codec is probably the culprit. It is a Win-95 vintage codec that could be forced to work on XP and sort of worked on Vista/32. It works on Win7/64 with WMP but obviously WMP is using the 32bit codec, I guess PPCS5 cannot.

I’m fairly resigned that the best workflow is going to be a parallel install of CS4 (assuming that’s possible, otherwise I might try to get it to install in XP mode). I can use the old project files with CS4 to assemble clips and export them to DV for further processing in CS5.

• 3. Re: ASF cannot be imported because of a header error.
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, if you have the Video, and ONLY want the Audio, instead of converting, I'd instead rip the Audio, with a program like Audition, or even the free audio-editor, Audacity. Just do a Save_As form the audio-editor to PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit and Import that. You should be able to then fairly easily sync the Audio file to the appropriate Video file.

Good luck,

Hunt