13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2011 11:15 PM by archemedia

cache problems with the browser

orgCrisium Level 1

I'm using google chrome browser to debug my flex/flash applications.

problem is that a lot of times the browser will not load the newest build!

how do I force it to load it?

anyone?

Peter Wraae Marino

• 2. Re: cache problems with the browser
          orgCrisium Level 1

Hi,

no, this doesn't help.

I have actually already done that setup with the sandbox and installed the a debug flash player and disabled the chromes second flashplayer as described in your link.... all of this and I still have cache problems.

thanks for trying,

Peter Wraae Marino

• 3. Re: cache problems with the browser
            Shongrunden Adobe Employee

I haven't used Chrome for debugging, but I have dealt with caching problems using other browsers.  One way I get around it is by modifying the index.template.html file in the html-template folder.

If you open that up and change this line:

swfobject.embedSWF(
                            "${swf}.swf", "flashContent",
                            "${width}", "${height}",
                            swfVersionStr, xiSwfUrlStr,
                            flashvars, params, attributes);

to this:

swfobject.embedSWF(
                            "${swf}.swf?t=" + new Date().getTime(), "flashContent",
                            "${width}", "${height}",
                            swfVersionStr, xiSwfUrlStr,
                            flashvars, params, attributes);

Then the SWF will have a unique URL every time it is launched.  Be careful to remove this before producing your release version tho because that will force your users to not be able to cache the SWF (unless that is what you want).

• 4. Re: cache problems with the browser
              orgCrisium Level 1

Hi,

I tried the date fix in the index.template.html as you suggested.... I'm sorrry but this doesn't resolve the problem. Google Chrome is still caching.

regards,

Peter

• 5. Re: cache problems with the browser
                orgCrisium Level 1

I can see lots of people have problems with the browser caching.. and the funny thing is that I haven't found one solution that works yet.

I've written here in the forum... I have also written to adobe about this (I guess a lot have).... but they just don't reply.

I'm trying the trial version of Flash Builder.. and if caching is going to be an on going problem.. then perhaps I should look more into

the html5 instead of Flash.

I would expect Adobe to be ontop of this and a minimal support... right now they are at ZERO.

regards,

Peter

• 6. Re: cache problems with the browser
                  Matt Le Fevre Level 4

extremely obvious, but have you tried disabling caching in the browser?

• 7. Re: cache problems with the browser
                    orgCrisium Level 1

yea I have tried disabling cache in the browser.... (by clearing it) ... I don't see any options to disable it permanent.

when I clear it the swf file gets loaded as I expected and works, but this isn't a developer solution I can live with.

I use my browser for other things then just developing and need my cache enabled.

regards,

Peter

• 8. Re: cache problems with the browser
                      Matt Le Fevre Level 4

that sucks, i've used Chrome myself for development and it caches sometimes when running a release build, but for normal debug  it works fine.

I'd suggest just using a different browser for development then, firefox works fine with 0 issues for me

• 9. Re: cache problems with the browser
                        Shongrunden Adobe Employee

I tried installing Chrome and was unable to reproduce this problem using Windows XP and Flash Builder 4.

It's possible there might be a bug in Chrome related to caching.  I remember having cache issues in Chrome a few versions ago (not specifically related to debugging, but just caching flash in general).  Uninstalling Chrome and re-installing the latest version seemed to work for me.  Maybe give that a try?

• 10. Re: cache problems with the browser
                          orgCrisium Level 1

Hi,

thanks for trying..

Chrome doesn't always use the cache.. for the most part it works.. it is times it doesn't that is a pain.

I usually see the cache fail (or work depends on how you look at it)... when you use the design mode

and add new components.

regards,

Peter

• 11. Re: cache problems with the browser
                            Nilesh W

Hi,

You can read some post on http://www.jabbypanda.com/blog/?p=16 and http://www.judahfrangipane.com/blog/?p=87. Am sure this will help you.

Thanks,

Nilesh

• 12. Re: cache problems with the browser
                              dr_haydex

Hi guys,

I ran into the same problem that you have with Chrome Cache, I also tried everything said in this post, and they all didn't work. But then it seemed possible to solve this issue by installing Click&Clean extension in Chrome. After installing Click&Clean for the first time, a settings window appears, in "Clear Private Data When Browser Closes" click "Chrome", then uncheck all but "Empty the Cache", then uncheck "Ask me before clearing" and close the settings window.

After that, in Chrome Options choose "Under the hood" tab, then click "clear browsing data...", then uncheck all but "Empty the cache", then check if "clear data from this period" is set to "last hour", Finally close Chrome Options window.

This solution clears all cached swf files automatically when the browser is closed without affecting your browsing history, cookies, or saved passwords. The drawback is that cached images and web content (for the last hour) are all cleared too, but google Chome is the fastest browser in loading contents on earth , so it should not be a big problem.

Please note that Chrome sometimes fails to display the latest build, in that case just refresh the page after a while, and it will work.

Regards,

Haydex Kadhim,

Researcher - Iraq.

Message was edited by: dr_haydex

• 13. Re: cache problems with the browser
                                archemedia Level 4

Hi all,

The problem is even beyond local caching.

Some firewalls do caching themselves so clearing the local cache doesn't solve the problem if your client is behind such a firewall. This is really nasty!

I put my hopes on the suggestion made in http://forums.adobe.com/message/4064909#4064909

I'll update my progress there.

Dany