21 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2011 12:11 AM by Alisa(Ying) Wang

adl.exe eating up 100% CPU (CS5, Windows)

matteosistisette Level 1

Hi,

In Flash Professional CS5 on Windows 7 (64bit), whenever I test a movie (ctrl+enter) targeted at AIR, the adl.exe process starts eating up 100% of the cpu at intervals, that is:

- adl.exe eats up 100% of the cpu for several seconds

- then back to normal for several seconds

- then eats up 100% of the CPU again for several seconds

and so on.

I see it in the task manager that the process eating up all CPU is adl.exe; obviously the application being tested (and the whole computer) becomes almost unresponsive on CPU peaks.

If I publish the very same test app as an air package, install and run it, it runs fine, with near to 0% cpu consumption, which is normal.

The raise in CPU consumption does not coincide with anything significant happening, it seems just a random (though almost regular in intervals) oscillation, with no apparent cause.

My swf is not very cpu greedy, it is almost idle. I do ctrl+enter and then don't touch anything, just leave it running (which does almost nothing) and the CPU usage goes up and down. I repeat, this does NOT happen if I publish, install and run the AIR application without the ADL debug launcher.

Has anybody run into the same problem?

Is there any fix?

thanks

m.

• 1. Re: adl.exe eating up 100% CPU (CS5, Windows)
          chris.campbell Adobe Employee

Is this using AIR 2.0.2 or 1.5.3?  Is it possible to get a test project so I can take a look?  Please feel free to email me at ccampbel@adobe.com.

Chris

• 2. Re: adl.exe eating up 100% CPU (CS5, Windows)
            matteosistisette Level 1

It's 2.0.2

I'll try to create a test file asap

• 3. Re: adl.exe eating up 100% CPU (CS5, Windows)
              matteosistisette Level 1

Hi,

I don't see how to attach a file, so I have just sent it to you by email.

It is a sample .fla file that triggers the issue.

It only moves a movie clip along the x axis at each frame. Actually I think that nearly ANY file would trigger the issue, but not a completely empty one.

Open it with Flash CS5 and test movie with ctrl+enter.

Open Windows' Task Manager and watch the cpu usage of the "adl.exe" process. It will periodically grow to 100% and then go back to normal levels.

Please let me know whether you can reproduce it, or if it is just me

Thanks
              m.

• 4. Re: adl.exe eating up 100% CPU (CS5, Windows)

Hi,

I haven't received the email yet.  Do you mind checking the address?  Also, depending on the extension our firewall might block the attachment.  Do you mind stripping it off and I'll re-add it later?

Thanks,

Chris

• 5. Re: adl.exe eating up 100% CPU (CS5, Windows)

I take that back, I found the email in our junk mail system.  Thank you for sending it to me.

I can also confirm I am seeing the CPU spike on Windows (does not occur on Mac).  It seems to occur after I drag the window around on screen.  I've forwarded the issue along to one of the ADL experts asking for feedback.  I'll let you know what they say.

Thanks,

Chris

1 person found this helpful
                  • 7. Re: adl.exe eating up 100% CPU (CS5, Windows)
                    matteosistisette Level 1

On 07/15/2010 12:41 AM, chris.campbell wrote:

I can also confirm I am seeing the CPU spike on Windows (does not occur on Mac).

Great, thank you.

It seems to occur after I drag the window around on screen.

Yes i also had the impression that may "help" trigger the issue. Once it  starts, however, it keeps happening at almost-regular intervals even if  you don't move the window anymore, right?

I've forwarded the issue along to one of the ADL experts asking for feedback.  I'll let you know what they say.

Great. Hope they fix it quickly. This makes CS5 almost unusable for  developing AIR applications. You waste literally HOURS of time when  testing during development.

It didn't happen with CS4 by the way.

Thanks

m.
                    • 8. Re: adl.exe eating up 100% CPU (CS5, Windows)
                      matteosistisette Level 1

By the way, The "feature" that allows to reply to a thread by replying to the email DOESN'T WORK. I am not the first one to notice it. It just NEVER WORKS. Please remove it completely, so one avoids wasting the time to reply by mail just to discover later than only an empty message was posted.

Remove this sentence from the email notifications:

"

To post a reply to the thread message, either reply to this email..."
                      • 9. Re: adl.exe eating up 100% CPU (CS5, Windows)

I did some more investigation and after updating Flash CS5 to the latest build (11.0.1) I've been unable to reproduce the constant high cpu usage (it did go up to 90% once, but very briefly).  I also tried running ADL from the command line and again the cpu never went over 5%, and usually was at 0%.  Do you mind giving this a try?  Let me know if you need instructions on running ADL from the command line.

Thanks,

Chris

• 10. Re: adl.exe eating up 100% CPU (CS5, Windows)
                          matteosistisette Level 1

Hi,

Thank you for your help. I have installed all the updates, and it is a lot better now, but not completely fixed. Far from it.

Every time I move the window around a little bit, CPU consumption goes to 100% and the application is unresponsive for several seconds (10-20 seconds), which is a lot of time. The difference is that now, after those 10-20 seconds of 100% cpu usage, it goes back to normal functioning and remains OK, at least until you move the window again.

Moving the window is not the only thing that triggers the crazy CPU usage: if I use File.browseForSave() to open a popup window to browse and select a file, it triggers the issue, and as usual, CPU consumption goes to 100% during several seconds and then goes back to normal.

Maybe I shoud file a bug report? This is a real show stopper.

• 11. Re: adl.exe eating up 100% CPU (CS5, Windows)
                            thilgen Level 4

Were you able to determine if the same behavior exists when you run ADL outside of Flash Professional?

We are kind of scratching out heads on this one and are trying to figure out if this is an issue localize to the AIR tool set of if it could be some kind of interaction issue with Flash Professional CS5.

Also, anything interesting about your system? Are you running inside a VM? Any kind of crazy virus-checkers or backup utilities that might be getting in the way? What kind of system are you running on? Anything interesting with the amount of RAM you have or how much disk space you have available?

Thanks,

Chris Thilgen

AIR Engineering

• 12. Re: adl.exe eating up 100% CPU (CS5, Windows)
                              matteosistisette Level 1
                              Were you able to determine if the same behavior exists when you run ADL outside of Flash Professional?

No I haven't tried yet. Both because using the command line would not be an acceptable solution for me, and because you said you saw no difference and could reproduce the issue both inside Flash and from the command line; so I thought it wasn't relevant. But if you need I can try

Also, anything interesting about your system? Are you running inside a VM?

Well yes, indeed I am running inside a VM, it is VirtualBox on an Ubuntu 10.04 host.

Anyway I don't have trouble with any other software on the VM.

Also, you reproduced it on a "physical" machine, didn't you?

No virus checker nor backup utilities; indeed I've disabled all this kind of stuff that came with Windows and didn't install any other: I didabled window's firewall, Windows Defender and even the malware removal tool.

I have 1.5 GB of ram reserved to the Virtual Machine.

You observed the same behavior as I did before the update. Now after the update I noticed a considerable improvement but still not fixed: do you observe the same as I described (100%cpu usage only just after moving the window around or opening a File.broswse() popup, for several seconds but only once), or is it completely fixed for you?

thanks

m.

• 13. Re: adl.exe eating up 100% CPU (CS5, Windows)

I actually reproduced it the first time on a VM (Parallels, under 10.6).  I'll try again on both a regular Win 7 machine and a VM using the latest Flash CS5 and see what happens.  The test app that you sent me didn't have the capability to bring up the file browse dialog did it?  I want to make sure I'm using the correct sample.

Thanks,

Chris

• 14. Re: adl.exe eating up 100% CPU (CS5, Windows)
                                  matteosistisette Level 1
                                  The test app that you sent me didn't have the capability to bring up the file browse dialog did it?

No it didn't, you can add something like:

stage.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK,openBrowseDialog);

function openBrowseDialog(e:Event) {

var f:File=new File();

f.browseForDirectory();

}

Thanks

m.

• 15. Re: adl.exe eating up 100% CPU (CS5, Windows)

I believe this is being caused by an AIR 2 performance bug.  Do you mind sending me a private message or emailing me at ccampbel@adobe.com with your name, email and company name?  I'll get you added to our prerelease program to have you try one of our internal builds out.

Thanks,

Chris

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 16. Re: adl.exe eating up 100% CPU (CS5, Windows)
                                      matteosistisette Level 1

Moving around the application window and opening a file browsing dialog (which seem to have in common the fact of interacting with the operating system) are NOT the only things that trigger the cpu-eating behaviour.

I'm having this trouble constantly with an application i'm developing (which unfortunately I cannot post for testing) even without doing any of those things.

What triggers the issue in this case seems to be adding and removing a fl.controls.List component as a child of the stage.

As usual, this ONLY happens when testing the application with ctrl+enter (not running the published and installed application), and the process that eats up 100%cpu is adl.exe

• 17. Re: adl.exe eating up 100% CPU (CS5, Windows)

Moved thread to the Performance Issues forum

• 18. Re: adl.exe eating up 100% CPU (CS5, Windows)
                                          Bramblethorne Level 1

Was this issue ever addressed?  I too, along with thousands of others if Google is any guide, am having this issue.

My program has many scaled mouse-enabled objects on stage.  Regardless if the window has focus, or if any activity is being done in the program (i.e., it's just sitting there), it pegs out my Latitude D810 at 100%, and my iMac quad core (Win XP 64 via boot camp) at 40-80%.

I've read all the articles on reducing frame rate, and object pooling and such, but none of these performance boosts changes the fact that this utilization is unnecessary and untenable.

Would be grateful for any information.

Cheers.

• 19. Re: adl.exe eating up 100% CPU (CS5, Windows)

Hi,

We were never able to fully reproduce the original issue, but we're very interested in getting to the bottom of any performance problem.  Would you mind sharing your project (or a sample project) that would illustrate the high CPU usage you're seeing?  Please feel free to post code here, or send me an email at ccampbel@adobe.com.

Thanks,

Chris

• 20. Re: adl.exe eating up 100% CPU (CS5, Windows)
                                              Bramblethorne Level 1

I have this marked to respond fully but have been taken off task

temporarily. I shall indeed do my best to provide you useful resources,

with the caveat that all my work is the property of the University of

Missouri and the US Department of Education (and I'll need to clear it

with the boss). For now, if any testing may be done with it, here is the

most recent AIR distribution

http://kidtools.org/Update/PictureTools101129a.air I believe I lowered

the framerate before publishing from 20 to 10 and that did actually

improve what I was seeing a bit, but still outrageously high for it to

be consuming while sitting idle with the only real thing active being a

bunch of listeners for Mouse activity. I speak of the screen following

the name entry, once all transitions have finished and the puzzle has

exploded it's pieces and the main menu is simply sitting idle. Hope

that's clear.

• 21. Re: adl.exe eating up 100% CPU (CS5, Windows)
                                                Alisa(Ying) Wang

Hi ,

Would you mind help me with following questions :

1. What is your AIR version? Could you please  have a try on our latest AIR build(http://get.adobe.com/air/?promoid=BUIGQ)

2. In Which running mode you encounter this performance issue? In an IDE , or installing it? According to the  prior post, matteosistisette met this issue when running it on Flash CS5 with ctrl+enter NOT by installing it after packaging it as an AIR file

3. I tried with winxp on some  machines (such as; dell OPTIPLEX 760 and laptop thinkpad :T400) , using adl to launch it .

Set it to the front application ,and do nothing, the cpu is 20% - 23%

Minimize the application, and the cup is 0% – 2%

Do some operations on the app , it is 30% - 70%

So have you tried on other machines, such as : winxp on PC instead of na Imac, ,and what's the  CPU usage? and relevant PC processor and memory info

4.A little confused about the following info  you mentioned:

"I speak of the screen following

the name entry, once all transitions have finished and the puzzle has

exploded it's pieces and the main menu is simply sitting idle"

that the main menu sit idle is the expected result/designed by your app, right?

thanks

Alisa