14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2010 6:39 AM by fishmor

PRE crash and now stuck at splash screen - HELP!!

fishmor Level 1

I was working on a small project (5 mins) a couple of sound tracks and was moving one to different location and PRE crashed - now when I open the program up the splash screen is blurred and I can't select anything except the 8.01 update and those things - HELP - project due in 4 hours!!

• 1. Re: PRE crash and now stuck at splash screen - HELP!!
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It could be any of hundreds of things, fishmor, and we don't have nearly enough information to be able to help you.

I've never heard of the program crashing that badly! It sounds like you've got a major system failure.

I'd begin by uninstalling the program, deleting the entire C:/PROGRAM FILES/ADOBE/PREMIERE ELEMENTS 8 folder, rebooting and then reinstalling.

Most crashes on well-maintained systems are related to your source files. What type of camcorder is your video coming from and how did you get it into your computer.

• 2. Re: PRE crash and now stuck at splash screen - HELP!!
            fishmor Level 1

My source material is from a canon xha1s and my system is 1 TB hard drive, 8 G RAM, 500 MB dedicated graphics card, and an AMD quad-core processor -   if I uninstall and reinstall like you suggest, will I lose my projects?  I seems like last time I uninstalled and reinstalled it saved the projects-

Eric

• 3. Re: PRE crash and now stuck at splash screen - HELP!!
              CruelRhetoric Level 1

go into c:\user\documents\adobe\premiereelements\8.0 (if that is where you keep your scratch disks) and erase the working template.... worked for me, Adobe will create another copy once you open the project up again so there shouldn't be any loss of data...

the template was corrupted in my project that kept doing that...

good luck

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: PRE crash and now stuck at splash screen - HELP!!
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That's certainly worth a try, Carlton!

And, no, removing the program and reinstalling will not delete your project or any work in progress.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: PRE crash and now stuck at splash screen - HELP!!
                  fishmor Level 1

OK well instead of that I went into programs and found the start for pre 8.0 in programs (not the icon) and started it from there and finished the project - fine for now but I don't get it - I have had other crashes during editing that I haven't reported but this one really had me stuck cause I had to get it done!  The splash screen is still stuck from the original startup - by the way, I have 1 TB of hard drive and have used 2.5 G so far - I'll be using more and I haven't partitioned anything in the hard drive - suggestions and processes?  I talked with another local PRE user today and he suggested reloading PRE every month or so and he has stuff partitioned along with 8 TB hard drive - I am doing this work semi-professionally so could really use the some suggestions - Eric

• 6. Re: PRE crash and now stuck at splash screen - HELP!!
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Eric,

Quick question: are you running as Administrator? Adobe programs really, really want to be run from a full Administrator account.

The workaround is to do as you did, and go to the executable in the appropriate folder, Rt-click and choose Run as Administrator. That gets many on say a school lab setup, running fine.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: PRE crash and now stuck at splash screen - HELP!!
                      fishmor Level 1

Carlton - I found that folder and there are a lot of files in it - how do I find the working template?

• 8. Re: PRE crash and now stuck at splash screen - HELP!!
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

fishmor

I have been following the progress of your running this issue simultaneously at Premiere Elements User to User Forum at Adobe and elsewhere, with all the follow up at the Adobe site.

From what I have read at the Adobe site, I am understanding that you report that you solved your problem and met your schedule by opening Premiere Elements in the program files at the level of the .exe file. Yet you wrote that "The Splash Screen is still stuck from the original startup." I am not sure where I am missing it, but how can you open Premiere Elements (wherever) if it already opened, as it were, stuck at the Splash Screen? Did I miss a step in your troubleshooting?

If I can get beyond the latter consideration, what Premiere Elements .exe in the program files did you use to click on...Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0.exe or Adobe Premiere Elements.exe? The latter will bypass the Premiere Elements Welcome Screen and has less processes associated with its loading and opening (For that type of evaluation see Process Explorer Sysinternals.)

I am not sure if we have discussed this here or elsewhere, but are:

a. you running the 8.0.1 Update Patch Version

b. are Background Rendering and AutoAnalyzer features turned OFF

c. have you been monitoring your computer resources while you have been running Premiere Elements

ATR
                        • 9. Re: PRE crash and now stuck at splash screen - HELP!!
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          what Premiere Elements .exe in the program files did you use to click on...Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0.exe or Adobe Premiere Elements.exe? The latter will bypass the Premiere Elements Welcome Screen and has less processes associated with its loading and opening (For that type of evaluation see Process Explorer Sysinternals.)

ATR,

Thank you for making mention of the two EXE files. I had forgotten about that, and their differences.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 10. Re: PRE crash and now stuck at splash screen - HELP!!
                            fishmor Level 1

Ok guys, well I'm running as an administrator and background rendering, auto analyzer is off and the patch is installed.  After the crash I went to get back into PRE the way I normally do (desktop icon) and it got stuck at the splash screen.  I went to task manager, ended that process, and started adobe by going to my computer/program files/adobe/ and then double clicking on adobe premiere elements which says it's an application in that menu - that gets me into PRE.  There is another icon above that one that says adobe premiere elements 8 and that one takes me to the splash screen that does not work just like my desktop icon does -

Eric 

• 11. Re: PRE crash and now stuck at splash screen - HELP!!
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Eric

Based on a road test, this is what I think got into the mix. I am not sure of all the twists and turns but maybe you can help me fit things together better once you read the following:

1. Your Premiere Elements 8.0.1 project.prel crashed.

2. You reopened Premiere Elements 8.0.1 from the desktop icon which targeted the Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0.exe which opens Premiere Elements via the Welcome Screen (aka Splash Screen). The program got stuck at the Welcome Screen. You say that you ended the process by using the Task Manager/Processes.

3. You then went to Programs Files/Adobe/Premiere Elements 8.0 and clicked on the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file to open Premiere Elements. Using this .exe to open Premiere Elements bypasses the Welcome Screen (less processes involved in loading/opening). Until I tried this I did not think it possible: you can open Premiere Elements 8.0.1 via Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0.exe and take it to the Welcome Screen and then click on Adobe Premiere Elements.exe in the Program Files and have the program open fully. So you end up with two instances of Premiere Elements open.

4. If you are telling me that you still have the original Premiere Elements stuck at the Welcome Screen, then I am left to believe that you did not really close it with the Task Manager/Processes.

5. Go back to the Task Manager/Processes and look for more than one instance of "Adobe Premiere El...." in the processes list. End Process for them both.

6. Then create a desktop shortcut to Adobe Premiere Elements.exe and use that instead of the original desktop icon which  the targets Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0.exe which includes the Welcome Screen in its opening.

ATR

• 12. Re: PRE crash and now stuck at splash screen - HELP!!
                                fishmor Level 1

I went to the task manager again and ended all instances of PRE and then tried to get back in via my original desktop icon and it was still stuck.  I ended that process, went to the appropriate folder and created a shortcut that gets me into PRE via bypassing the splash screen and that gets me in - still is there a problem with my program since the splash screen isn't working right?

Eric

• 13. Re: PRE crash and now stuck at splash screen - HELP!!
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Eric

With regard to the original desktop icon which targets Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0.exe

a. if you do not have the program open via Adobe Premiere Elements.exe and you have closed the program that got opened to the Welcome Screen with Adobe Premiere Elements.exe, and if you go back to the Task Manager/Processes,

DO YOU SEE ANY INSTANCES OF "ADOBE PREMIERE ELEM,,," IN THE LIST OF PROCESSES THERE? If the answer is no, then I do not think that you have to worry unless you have a compelling need for the Welcome Screen. Just my point of view, but the only reasons for it being seem to be:

a. For Adobe to monitor (track) your activities

b. Quick access to photoshop.com

c. Be kept up to date with Adobe Ads

You should have full control of your Premiere Elements projects using Adobe Premiere Elements.exe to open the program without the Welcome Screen. I just wanted to make sure that there is no evidence that you have 2 instances of the program being open at the same time.

If you look at the processes opening using Process Explorer Sysinternals, you will note

a. if you click on the icon that targets Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0.exe, the first process that opens is Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0.exe, followed by Adobe Premiere Elements.exe and what looks like PhotoshopServer.exe. After Adobe Premiere Elements.exe and PhotoshopServer.exe appear, the Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0.exe disappears from the scene leaving the other 2 processes as the running processes.

b. if you click on the icon that targets Adobe Premiere Elements.exe, Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0.exe never appears, just direct to Adobe Premiere Elements.exe and PhotoshopServer.exe which remain as the running processes.

I am not sure what happened to your Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0.exe file. But I do not see that you need it to move forward in your projects. I would be curious to know the whys, but is it worth it on your time schedule?

ATR

• 14. Re: PRE crash and now stuck at splash screen - HELP!!
                                    fishmor Level 1

Just a quick update on this - I reinstalled the program and it still stuck on the splash screen so I created the shortcut that bypasses it - Eric