3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2010 7:14 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Rendering and playback issues

aaronedward

Hey guys, I'm sorry if this kind of topic has been discussed before, but I could not find any help with search. I don't really know how to describe my problem. I has After Effects CS4 first and when I first got it, it was giving me the same problem. I came here and got some help and everything worked fine after that, but now I upgraded to CS5 and I'm having problems again and I can't for the life of me remember what I did to fix the problem.

Here is what is going on. I'll uploaded a video that is an mpeg or AVCHD and while trying to preview it in anyway, it will only render some of it and then it will start depleting what has been rendered to render the rest of the clip. It is hard for me to explain. It just won't fully preview a clip as a whole.

Also, when I make a movie or finish a clip, they are coming out incredibly choppy. CS4 worked great on my computer, but I'm guessing I don't have the seeings perfect for CS5. I would go back to CS4, but I use AVCHD now and I'm scared CS4 will start having issues like CS5 is having.

I have a Studio XPS 435MT

Intel Core i7 2.67 ghz

4gb of RAM

ATI Radeon 4800

Do I just have on the wrong settings or something? Because like I said, CS4 was working without a problem for years. It was doing the same thing CS5 is doing now, but something I did fixed it and now I can't remember what it was.

• 1. Re: Rendering and playback issues
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Please state exactly what buttons you are pressing, what icons you are clicking, and what commands you're choosing. It's hard to help you to figure out what's going on when your description of what you're doing and seeing isn't clear.

My guess about your preview issue is that you're expecting either standard preview (spacebar play) or RAM preview to work differently than they do. For explanations of what these preview methods are and how to use them, start on this page and then read the pages that it links to: "FAQ: Why does RAM preview only play part of my composition?"

Regarding the stuttering of movies that you've rendered and exported: My guess is that you've just rendered and exported at the default settings, which create losslessly compressed movies, which are huge and are not intended for playback. (They're intended as intermediate files for additional post-production work.) Such huge files won't play back smoothly on a less powerful computer because the hard disk can't even serve the frames from the disk fast enough. The solution is to render and export using a codec that actually compresses the files significantly. You have to keep in mind the crucial difference between formats intended for playback and formats intended for intermediate files. See this thread for a somewhat more full explanation: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2958839#2958839

I recommend that you start here and work your way through the materials to get a good foundation in After Effects:

"Getting started with After Effects"

• 2. Re: Rendering and playback issues
            aaronedward Level 1

Thank you for the reply. I think you are right about the chopy videos. I was using lossless settings trying ot keep the full quality of the AVCHD videos, so that is probably the problem.

As for the rendering issues, I'll try and be more specific.

I start up a clip, either avchd or mpg

Hit play or spacebar

The green l will then start to fill up as my video plays, but soon as it gets half way done or less sometimes, it starts taking away what has been loaded. The videos will not fully play all the way.

I seriously am having a hard time explaining this.

Imagine the green line that shows up to represent play back. As that loads, it begins taking what it has already load away.

like it will get here

----------------------------------------------------

and then do this

---------------------------------------------------------------

It makes huge gaps and I can't do full playback.

• 3. Re: Rendering and playback issues
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The green bars indicate rendered frames that are stored (cached) in RAM and are ready for playback. If you don't have enough RAM, then After Effects doesn't have enough room to store all of the rendered frames for a whole composition.

See this FAQ entry, which explains this and gives suggestions for working within the limitations of limited RAM, like the 4GB that you have.