3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2010 11:21 PM by aditi_bk

Loader not linking to the external swf being loaded

aditi_bk

Hi,

I am trying to make this website, which has  separate files for different screen resolutions. I am using a first.swf  file to load the right file, depending on the screen resolution, it goes to a different frame for diff resolutions. There I have placed a loadMovie function.

The code for the loader follows the loadMovie call. loadingbar is a movieclip on screen, which presently does nothing.

_root.loadMovie("filename.swf", mcholder);

loadingbar.onEnterFrame = function() {

kBytesLoaded = this._parent.mcholder.getBytesLoaded() / 1024;

kBytesTotal = this._parent.mcholder.getBytesTotal() / 1024;

percentage = Math.round(kBytesLoaded / kBytesTotal * 100);

txt1.text = percentage;

if (percentage == 100) {

delete this.onEnterFrame;

}

}

This was displaying nothing, so I replaced the _root.loadMovie with mcholder.loadMovie("filename.swf"). This is not working either, the screen flashes

for one second and then  disappears. I put a stop(); before the code, and the screen remained,  but the movie still did not load.

I txt1.text shows 100. meaning percentage did reach hundred, but I am guessing that is for first.swf, and not for the file which is being loaded. I am still

learning the ropes and would appreciate it if someone could tell me what I am doing wrong. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Loader not linking to the external swf being loaded
          aditi_bk Level 1

I have now changed the code to

mcholder.loadMovie("filename.swf");

loadmc.onEnterFrame = function () {

percent = Math.floor((this._parent.mcholder.getBytesLoaded()/ this._parent.mcholder.getBytesTotal())*100);
          prcnt.text = percent+ "%";

if (percent == 100){
          prcnt._alpha =0;   
          loadmc._alpha = 0;
          delete this.onEnterFrame;
          }

}

Now it shows nothing at all. the 'prcnt' textbox displays nothing. It only shows the loadmc movieclip, which is also not playing. What am I doing wrong?? Some one help...!!!!!

• 2. Re: Loader not linking to the external swf being loaded
            Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should look into using the MovieClipLoader.loadClip method instead of loadMovie... it's made for information-based loading.  Search Google using "AS2 MovieClipLoader tutorial" and you should find some helpful tutorials.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Loader not linking to the external swf being loaded
              aditi_bk Level 1

Hi Ned,

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked up MovieClipLoader tutorials and finally came up with the code:

var myMCL:MovieClipLoader = new MovieClipLoader();

var loadListener:Object = new Object();

myMCL.addListener(loadListener);

loadListener.onLoadProgress = function(target_mc:MovieClip, bytesLoaded:Number, bytesTotal:Number):Void
              {
                  var perc:Number = (bytesLoaded / bytesTotal) * 100;
                  prcnt.text = perc + " %";
              }

loadListener.onLoadInit = function(target_mc:MovieClip)
              {
                  trace( target_mc + " finished loading so display on screen now. " );

prcnt.text = "init";

};

loadListener.onLoadError = function(target_mc:MovieClip, errorCode:String, httpStatus:Number)
              {
                  trace( "error loading image : errorCode : " + errorCode );
              }

loadListener.onLoadStart = function(target_mc:MovieClip)
              {
                  trace( target_mc + " start loading. maybe you want to do something here? " );
                  prcnt.text = "onstart";
              };

myMCL.loadClip("filename.swf", mcholder);  //mcholder is the movie clip holder placed on stage manually

The problem here is that the file does not move beyond

_level0.mcholder start loading. maybe you want to do something here?

Why is this happening? The code is directly from the tutorial. I have included all event functions, in case they are something like abstract functions, I don't know if this is required or not. I know I must be being a pain, but I can't figure out what is wrong with the code, seems simple enough to me. I am sure I am missing some basic point. Any help will be greatly appreciated...