9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2007 3:46 PM by Newsgroup_User

dreamweaver layers

bazzer71
      hi
      could anyone help me with a layer problem. As soon as i open a new html page and try to draw a layer i just get a thin box across the top of the design screen. It is blue and then chage to a broken line. I get no handles or a layer i can move around, as the instruction suggest i should.
      Any ideas
        • 1. Re: dreamweaver layers
          Level 7
          Don't use this feature. You are getting yourself into a lot of trouble with
          your finished page by drawing layers and expecting them to behave properly.

Lurk around this forum and find the many, many posts on why this is a bad
          thing.

Then get some books and tutorials on html and css styling to do what you
          want and make it work.

The Dreamweaver engineers put lots of features into Dreamweaver. They did
          not pass judgement on if the feature is bad or good, they just included
          them... lilke drawing layers and using frames. Both very bad ideas...

• 2. Re: dreamweaver layers
            Level 7
            > The Dreamweaver engineers put lots of features into Dreamweaver

I would amend that to read, "The DW marketeers put lots of features into
            DW."

Those features have nothing to do with building quality websites and
            everything to do with selling more copies of DW.

;-)
            --

Walt

"Michael Hager" <michael@cmhager.com> wrote in message
            news:f9vh2t$7ag$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Don't use this feature. You are getting yourself into a lot of trouble
            > with your finished page by drawing layers and expecting them to behave
            > properly.
            >
            > Lurk around this forum and find the many, many posts on why this is a bad
            > thing.
            >
            > Then get some books and tutorials on html and css styling to do what you
            > want and make it work.
            >
            > The Dreamweaver engineers put lots of features into Dreamweaver. They did
            > not pass judgement on if the feature is bad or good, they just included
            > them... lilke drawing layers and using frames. Both very bad ideas...
            >
            >
            >

• 3. Re: dreamweaver layers
              Woondooma
              Don't be put off by people who know nothing about layers in DW8.

Try checking 'Display Styles' in the 'Style Rendering' drop down of the 'View 'menu in the 'Layout' toolbar. It worked for me.
              • 4. Re: dreamweaver layers
                Level 7
                LOL...

--
                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                Adobe Community Expert
                (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                ==================
                http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                ==================

"Woondooma" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:fhm28o$3t2$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Don't be put off by people who know nothing about layers in DW8.
                >
                > Try checking 'Display Styles' in the 'Style Rendering' drop down of the
                > 'View 'menu in the 'Layout' toolbar. It worked for me.

• 5. Re: dreamweaver layers
                  Level 7
                  I think I feel put off, but I'm not sure by what..

--
                  Patty Ayers | Adobe Community Expert
                  www.WebDevBiz.com
                  Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
                  Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
                  --

"Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                  news:fhmpr8$3nl$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > LOL...
                  >
                  > --
                  > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  > Adobe Community Expert
                  > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                  > ==================
                  > http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  > http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  > ==================
                  >
                  >
                  > "Woondooma" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  > news:fhm28o$3t2$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >> Don't be put off by people who know nothing about layers in DW8.
                  >>
                  >> Try checking 'Display Styles' in the 'Style Rendering' drop down of the
                  >> 'View 'menu in the 'Layout' toolbar. It worked for me.
                  >

• 6. Re: dreamweaver layers
                    Level 7
                    I'm sure 'by what' but I'm not sure how I feel about it.... 8)

--
                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                    Adobe Community Expert
                    ==================
                    ==================

"P@tty Ayers ~ACE" <pattyayersTAKETHISOUT@REMOVEgmail.com> wrote in message
                    news:fhndl4$sa3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >I think I feel put off, but I'm not sure by what..
                    >
                    >
                    > --
                    > Patty Ayers | Adobe Community Expert
                    > www.WebDevBiz.com
                    > Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
                    > Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
                    > --
                    >
                    > "Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                    > news:fhmpr8$3nl$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >> LOL...
                    >>
                    >> --
                    >> Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                    >> Adobe Community Expert
                    >> (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                    >> ==================
                    >> http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    >> http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    >> ==================
                    >>
                    >>
                    >> "Woondooma" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    >> news:fhm28o$3t2$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >>> Don't be put off by people who know nothing about layers in DW8.
                    >>>
                    >>> Try checking 'Display Styles' in the 'Style Rendering' drop down of the
                    >>> 'View 'menu in the 'Layout' toolbar. It worked for me.
                    >>
                    >
                    >

• 7. Re: dreamweaver layers
                      TC2112 Level 1
                      Hello,

Please consider the valid points that Michael and Walt, as well as many other professionals and experts in this forum, have made. As with all things, there are times that layers will present no problem, such as an extremely simple page where a layer (AP Div, actually) is holding an image. However, the more complex the site becomes the more you open yourself to problems and it doesn’t take much complexity using layers to have problems.

Just do a search in this forum for layers, or "positioning problem" or "page breaking".
                      You will see literally hundreds of posts from people who don't know about layers wondering why their site doesn’t look like they want it to. In most of these of posts, you will see solutions for the problems that are provided by those who do know about layers. The solution is usually "don't use them" followed by alternative methods that work.
                      Take a look at the folks who are saying "don't use them". You'll see experts and professionals with many years of experience.
                      You'll see folks who have offered help in these forums for years who are only genuinely trying to help you by steering you clear of trouble that they have seen too many times to recall.

Please check out these links for one of the most common issues with using layers.
                      This page gives great detail that will allow you to make an informed decision on whether or not you want to go down this road.

My layers move, my text overlaps. Layout 101.

This is a great example of a specific issue (thanks Murray):

Page explodes when users text size isnt the same as my design

Remember, most of the folks here are trying to help simply because they like to.
                      There isn't a "conspiracy" by those who know nothing about layers to dissuade you from using them. There are only those who know the problems caused only too well, trying to help you get off on the right foot and avoid trouble.
                      I think that’s a pretty nice thing for them to do.

Take care,
                      Tim
                      • 8. Re: dreamweaver layers
                        Level 7
                        I agree you cannot use layers for everything mostly lists. But lists are
                        what tables were made for in the first place.

But I use layers almost exclusively now. If you take the time to learn how
                        they work you can make them do just about whatever you want. You can change
                        their size, position visibility etc on the fly. You can put things exactly
                        where you want them. An if your page does not look the same in IE, Firefox
                        and Safari you can move the layer based on the browser.

I learned most of this when I took a job laying out a web site and doing the
                        database programming for a designer who want the web pages to look as much
                        like the Photo Shop files she sent me as possible. And it looks virtual the
                        same in IE, Firefox and Safari. Admittedly you cannot have an exact match on
                        all the browsers but you can get close.

Just my 2 cents.

"TC2112" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                        news:fhnkbt$70q$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > Hello,
                        >
                        > Please consider the valid points that Michael and Walt, as well as many
                        > other
                        > professionals and experts in this forum, have made. As with all things,
                        > there
                        > are times that layers will present no problem, such as an extremely simple
                        > page
                        > where a layer (AP Div, actually) is holding an image. However, the more
                        > complex
                        > the site becomes the more you open yourself to problems and it doesn?t
                        > take
                        > much complexity using layers to have problems.
                        >
                        > Just do a search in this forum for layers, or "positioning problem" or
                        > "page
                        > breaking".
                        > You will see literally hundreds of posts from people who don't know about
                        > layers wondering why their site doesn?t look like they want it to. In most
                        > of
                        > these of posts, you will see solutions for the problems that are provided
                        > by
                        > those who do know about layers. The solution is usually "don't use them"
                        > followed by alternative methods that work.
                        > Take a look at the folks who are saying "don't use them". You'll see
                        > experts
                        > and professionals with many years of experience.
                        > You'll see folks who have offered help in these forums for years who are
                        > only
                        > genuinely trying to help you by steering you clear of trouble that they
                        > have
                        > seen too many times to recall.
                        >
                        > Please check out these links for one of the most common issues with using
                        > layers.
                        > This page gives great detail that will allow you to make an informed
                        > decision
                        > on whether or not you want to go down this road.
                        >
                        > http://apptools.com/examples/pagelayout101.php
                        >
                        > This is a great example of a specific issue (thanks Murray):
                        >
                        > http://www.great-web-sights.com/g_layer-overlap.asp
                        >
                        > Remember, most of the folks here are trying to help simply because they
                        > like
                        > to.
                        > There isn't a "conspiracy" by those who know nothing about layers to
                        > dissuade
                        > you from using them. There are only those who know the problems caused
                        > only too
                        > well, trying to help you get off on the right foot and avoid trouble.
                        > I think that?s a pretty nice thing for them to do.
                        >
                        > Take care,
                        > Tim
                        >

• 9. Re: dreamweaver layers
                          Level 7
                          >I agree you cannot use layers for everything mostly lists. But lists are
                          >what tables were made for in the first place.

What?

> But I use layers almost exclusively now. If you take the time to learn how
                          > they work you can make them do just about whatever you want. You can
                          > change their size, position visibility etc on the fly. You can put things
                          > exactly where you want them. An if your page does not look the same in IE,
                          > Firefox and Safari you can move the layer based on the browser.

This is pretty misguided. Resizing the text in the browser will usually
                          turn these pages into an overlapping mess.

--
                          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                          Adobe Community Expert
                          ==================
                          ==================

"Rick" <rick@di-wave.com> wrote in message
                          news:fjn681$a0f$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          >I agree you cannot use layers for everything mostly lists. But lists are
                          >what tables were made for in the first place.
                          >
                          > But I use layers almost exclusively now. If you take the time to learn how
                          > they work you can make them do just about whatever you want. You can
                          > change their size, position visibility etc on the fly. You can put things
                          > exactly where you want them. An if your page does not look the same in IE,
                          > Firefox and Safari you can move the layer based on the browser.
                          >
                          > I learned most of this when I took a job laying out a web site and doing
                          > the database programming for a designer who want the web pages to look as
                          > much like the Photo Shop files she sent me as possible. And it looks
                          > virtual the same in IE, Firefox and Safari. Admittedly you cannot have an
                          > exact match on all the browsers but you can get close.
                          >
                          > Just my 2 cents.
                          >
                          > "TC2112" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                          > news:fhnkbt$70q$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          >> Hello,
                          >>
                          >> Please consider the valid points that Michael and Walt, as well as many
                          >> other
                          >> professionals and experts in this forum, have made. As with all things,
                          >> there
                          >> are times that layers will present no problem, such as an extremely
                          >> simple page
                          >> where a layer (AP Div, actually) is holding an image. However, the more
                          >> complex
                          >> the site becomes the more you open yourself to problems and it doesn?t
                          >> take
                          >> much complexity using layers to have problems.
                          >>
                          >> Just do a search in this forum for layers, or "positioning problem" or
                          >> "page
                          >> breaking".
                          >> You will see literally hundreds of posts from people who don't know about
                          >> layers wondering why their site doesn?t look like they want it to. In
                          >> most of
                          >> these of posts, you will see solutions for the problems that are provided
                          >> by
                          >> those who do know about layers. The solution is usually "don't use them"
                          >> followed by alternative methods that work.
                          >> Take a look at the folks who are saying "don't use them". You'll see
                          >> experts
                          >> and professionals with many years of experience.
                          >> You'll see folks who have offered help in these forums for years who are
                          >> only
                          >> genuinely trying to help you by steering you clear of trouble that they
                          >> have
                          >> seen too many times to recall.
                          >>
                          >> Please check out these links for one of the most common issues with using
                          >> layers.
                          >> This page gives great detail that will allow you to make an informed
                          >> decision
                          >> on whether or not you want to go down this road.
                          >>
                          >> http://apptools.com/examples/pagelayout101.php
                          >>
                          >> This is a great example of a specific issue (thanks Murray):
                          >>
                          >> http://www.great-web-sights.com/g_layer-overlap.asp
                          >>
                          >> Remember, most of the folks here are trying to help simply because they
                          >> like
                          >> to.
                          >> There isn't a "conspiracy" by those who know nothing about layers to
                          >> dissuade
                          >> you from using them. There are only those who know the problems caused
                          >> only too
                          >> well, trying to help you get off on the right foot and avoid trouble.
                          >> I think that?s a pretty nice thing for them to do.
                          >>
                          >> Take care,
                          >> Tim
                          >>
                          >
                          >