4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2007 5:57 AM by Captiv8r

Easy way to give link for the Previous and Next button included in all topics (in Header and Footer)

usureka Level 1
      Dear all,

I'm creating a chm output using RH6. I've created the header and footer and included previous and next buttons in all the topics (based on our requirement).

At present i'm manually giving link in all the topics (for each button to navigate the appropriate topics i.e., previous/next topic) (A sample can be seen in Snagit7 On-line Help Guide).

Is there any easy way to do it...
        • 1. Re: Easy way to give link for the Previous and Next button included in all topics (in Header and Footer)
          Level 2
          Previous and Next buttons are a standard feature of HTML Help. Unfortunately, RoboHelp has never supported them but has opted for their own custom "browse sequence." To implement Previous and Next buttons in RoboHelp produced .chm files one needs to add 600000 hex to the buttons parameter of the Window definition in your .hhp file. This is the parameter that comes just before the initial size in square brackets. Open your .hhp using Notepad and you will see this. Hex numbers begin with 0x. To add to hex just insert the leading characters.

I don't know how RH6 handles this but older versions would 'fix' the project and you would need to compile using Help Workshop. In Rick Stone's Tips and Tricks file, he had a way to tweak the RH project using Access to make these work in RoboHelp. I've never tried that becasue I don't have Access.

John
          • 2. Re: Easy way to give link for the Previous and Next button included in all topics (in Header and Footer)
            RoboWizard Level 4
            Hi all

John, I think usureka is referring to something entirely different. SnagIt help has something in each topic that contains images that point from one topic to the next.

usureka, I took a glimpse of the SnagIt help file and near as I can tell, they are using Microsoft FrontPage to create the topics. At least the topics I saw. I'm unaware of a plugin for FrontPage that would do this.

Short of manually creating the sequences, I think you are probably stuck. It may be something you wish to suggest to the developers. You may do this by clicking here.

Cheers... Rick
            • 3. Re: Easy way to give link for the Previous and Next button included in all topics (in Header and Footer)
              usureka Level 1
              Yes Rick...you understood my requirement ..At present i'm giving link manually....it's not only tiresome but boring.....Any way thanks for providing the link to raise the Feature Request......

Also Thanks John....Ofcourse i've included the browse sequence too....

But still, Is anybody there...whether this can be achieved with less effort....
              • 4. Re: Easy way to give link for the Previous and Next button included in all topics (in Header and Footer)
                Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                Hi again

Well, I can think of one way you might do it. But it's sorta icky and I'm not sure I'd recommend it. Before I attempted it, I would certainly copy my project and try it with a backup.

First, make a backup copy of your project.
                Now locate the images you would like to use. Note their file names.
                Create a Browse Sequence that moves from one topic to the next as you want it to.
                Generate WebHelp using the "Traditional Style - No Skin".
                Walk through the dialogs and point at your image names. These will become the Previous and Next buttons.
                After you generate WebHelp, view it to see the topics in action. See if they do what you want.
                Now for the icky part. You, ummm, DID make a backup, didn't you? If not, might be a good time to do this.
                At this point, try copying the WebHelp output topic files to the main project location. I say this is "icky", because WebHelp output files are rife with JavaScript code that can munge a WebHelp project if you do this and repeatedly produce WebHelp.
                Make sure you add the images used for previous and next to your list of Baggage Files.
                Compile a .CHM now and see if that gets anything close to what you want.

Cheers... Rick