8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2010 3:11 PM by AnilGuptaIndia

Can one use Adobe CS4 in a 64 bits computer ?

AnilGuptaIndia

Hi

I have a couple of  queries and I would be grateful if anyone could help me out with them.

a) Will Adobe CS4 softwares, like After Effects, Premiere, Photoshop etc work on a 64 bits  computers ?  And if it does work, will it work with all its functionality ? Will all plug-ins, like Magic Bullet,  Twixtor, Trapcode plug-ins etc also work ?

b) Will Adobe CS4  (and CS5) work on Windows 7 Home  or Windows 7 professional version. Or does it necessarily need  Windows 7 Ultimate verion ?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Can one use Adobe CS4 in a 64 bits computer ?
          mike cardeiro Level 1

you absolutely can (we have cs3 on a 64 bit box)...keep in mind that it is still a 32 bit program and thus you will still only have acces to 4 gigs of ram.

Mike Cardeiro

• 2. Re: Can one use Adobe CS4 in a 64 bits computer ?
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

As Mike says, you can use the CS4 applications on a 64-bit computer. Here's a short article that explains:

"CS4 Production Premium on 64-bit operating systems"

Regarding which version of Windows 7 to use, the system requirements say that you can use all of these editions. The one major difference that you'll find relevant to After Effects is that the lesser editions of Windows 7 can't manage nearly as much RAM. See this page for the limitations of various versions of Windows 7 regarding physical memory. When I purchased my home computer, I went for one of the non-Home versions because I was putting 24GB of RAM into the machine.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Can one use Adobe CS4 in a 64 bits computer ?
              AnilGuptaIndia Level 1

Hi Mike,

You reply was of great help. I needed this advice for making up my mind regarding a purchase of a paritucular laptop. ? Though now I am stuck with the choice whether to buy a PC or a laptop - which one would you suggest for HD video editing , given that both have same config ?

Thanks

Anil

• 4. Re: Can one use Adobe CS4 in a 64 bits computer ?
                AnilGuptaIndia Level 1

Hi Todd,

I was trying to make up my mind, which laptop to buy and your reply has been of great help.

Though now I am stuck with the choice whether to buy a PC or a laptop - which one would you suggest for HD video editing , given that both have same config ?

Thanks

Anil

• 5. Re: Can one use Adobe CS4 in a 64 bits computer ?
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The first things that I tell people to think about for After Effects are RAM (lots of  it), CPUs (fast and multiple), and hard disks (fast and multiple).

You can't install much RAM in a laptop; most laptops don't have more than four processor cores; and most laptops have only one relatively slow hard disk drive.

I use a laptop every day to do little things with After Effects, and I can do HD (and even digital cinema) work if I plan ahead and am very disciplined about how I set up my projects and compositions. But I'm much happier using my desktop computer.

There's more information about performance and such on this page and the pages that it points to:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/543440

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Can one use Adobe CS4 in a 64 bits computer ?
                    AnilGuptaIndia Level 1

Thanks Todd for your reply. I will go through all the links that you have sent. It may take a while though.

Yes, a PC seems to be a good choice especially with an impressive screen and ablity to expend the RAM to a large extent

But right now as I have a limited budget and am going to be using CS4, and it wont be much useful to have more RAM than 4GB as I beleive that CS4 . being a 32 bits program, cant make use of anything more than 4 GB RAM

I am eventually hoping to buy CS5 and a very high end PC.

But for time being I was planning to buy Dell Inspiron 15r, with i5 processor, 4 GB RAM and 1 Gb ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5470.

This configuration may not be  very powerful, but will it suffice ? It may be slow , but will it be very slow ?  and will be there any jerks or blips or will it be slow and "steady" ?

Also the screen 1366 X 768. Is that good enough ?  Adobe After Effects requirements seem to be 1280 X 900

Will the Dell Inspiron 15 r with the above config, give me good enough performance so that I can do HD video editing ?

I am not doing a lot of work , but just editing my own work. Also when I sit in front of PC for long hours, my back starts to ache.. but with a laptop i can change positions, recline and even lie down - lazy me !

Looking forward to your opinion and suggestions

Thanks

Anil

• 7. Re: Can one use Adobe CS4 in a 64 bits computer ?
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> But right now as I have a limited budget and am going to be using CS4, and it wont be much useful to have more RAM than 4GB as I beleive that CS4 . being a 32 bits program, cant make use of anything more than 4 GB RAM

You misunderstand. Though each instance of the 32-bit After Effects application can only use 4GB, After Effects can (and will!) start multiple instances in the background to aid rendering. This makes a huge difference.

The first link that I provided explains this. Here it is again:

"CS4  Production Premium on 64-bit operating systems"

Regarding the screen dimensions: At installation, After Effects will tell you that a computer with those dimensions doesn't meet the requirements. And I will tell you that we put those requirements in place for a reason. However, some people have succeeded in getting the software to install on such a computer. I don't recommend it. For one thing, dialog boxes and other UI controls expect the screen to be a certain height. It would be a shame if you couldn't reach some of the buttons in a dialog box becuase the bottom 100 pixels were drawn off the bottom of the screen.

• 8. Re: Can one use Adobe CS4 in a 64 bits computer ?
                        AnilGuptaIndia Level 1

Thanks Todd

And I am sorry about the extra discussion threads. I will remove them (if its possible to do so)