5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2010 1:41 AM by Steve Liles

Automated ordering of clips in project bin

Steve Liles Level 1

When using CS4 I could move clips around in the project bin (in icon view) as I pleased, this allowed me to know exactly which clips I'd placed and which still needed to be placed, for example I could leave a few lines between them while I ordered the clips as I wanted. Now in CS5 it appears to automatically place them next to each other so that if I move a clip it then resequences everything so they are always contiguously next to each other. While this has many benefits it also gives me a headache for certain editing scenarios and wondered if it was possible to disable this automated feature when required.

Thanks for your anticipated help???

• 1. Re: Automated ordering of clips in project bin
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Steve,

You're correct; this is the new default behavior of Icon View. I hadn't noticed until now, as I don't often use Icon View, and I use the reordering functionality even less. There doesn't appear to be any way to override this behavior (though personally, I find it more logical than the old approach, where oftentimes clips would get scattered around the panel), so I suggest filing a feature request for a toggle or at least a program preference option for this behavior.

Sorry to be the bearer of distressing news!

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Automated ordering of clips in project bin
            Steve Liles Level 1

Hi Colin, thanks for the news mate - at least it stops me looking through loads of help files trying to find a way round it. You're right in many ways - it is more logical and it does have some good advantages, but when you just want to throw a clip aside or a few clips aside and then see how they fit back into the story if needed then it it a total pain as they all get clumped together and then it's difficult to see which ones you're playing with.

Thanks anyway!!!!

• 3. Re: Automated ordering of clips in project bin
              Colin Brougham Level 6

You're welcome, even if it isn't what you wanted to hear!

A workaround of sorts would be to open a second bin in a free-floating panel/window; I have this set to Ctrl+double-click in preference. You could quickly drag your secondary-likely-not-to-be-used-but-I'd-like-to-keep-'em-close-by selects into that bin, and keep your primary bin tidy. Not a perfect workflow, but it might save you some aggravation

Good luck!

• 4. Re: Automated ordering of clips in project bin
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

Even with an older version, and the old ordering, I still do as you suggest, and have a "Maybe?" Bin for such. I will keep Assets there, until I determine their need in the Project.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Automated ordering of clips in project bin
                  Steve Liles Level 1

Hi Colin, thanks for that again, that is a good idea and I have put it to use since you mentioned it although I still liked the quick and easy way of just shuffling but maybe it's just because that's the way I've always done it - I'm sure it won't be a major headache (although it would be a lot easier if the colour for the current clip was a lot easier to differentiate from all the other clips as when they all move now I can't remember where I was!!! OMG I sound like my father!!!). Seriously though - thanks!