We have the same problem.
Our workaround was not to use conditional tags within a sentence, but rather have 2 separate versions of the same sentence and put conditional tags on the entire sentences.
Thanks for replying to the post. Did you notice this only after conversion? Are you saying that even removing the spaces manually doesn't repair this issue?
Yes. It looked fine when I put them in and the first CHM looked okay after generating it. But, the next
time I opened the project, I saw the extra spaces in RoboHelp.
I had this problem also. I did a global Find on "<? rh-udv_end ?>space." (of course "space" was just a space) and replaced it with <? rhudv_end ?>.
The problem did nto return for me after I did the FAR.
BTW, I don't use the RH FAR tool anymore. I use FAR HTML for all of my find/replace tasks nowadays...
Just to clarify - did this fix the spacing issue when you generated?
Or are you saying you used this method to locate all the examples and then used some other way to fix the extra space problem, such as the work around the other user posted -- using conditional sentences instead of tagging single words within a sentence?
When I first read your post I thought you were saying you used this to find the stuff you needed to repair, but that may not be what you meant.
We are using FAR HTML (a third-party find and replace tool) to search for extra spaces every time we compile now. Luckily we don't "publish" more than once every couple of weeks.
It is a pain, but much less of a pain considering the maintenance woes we'd have if we weren't using variables.
Thanks for your posts.
After trying everything I could think of the only thing that resolved the issue was replacing any instance of back-to-back conditional text followed by any punctuation with two sentence exactly the same except for the conditional choice.
For example, the original sentence (color indicates conditional build tag):
For customersmembers, this field indicates transaction limits.
would be changed to these two sentences:
For customers, this field indicates transaction limits.
For members, this field indicates transaction limits.
I'll submit this as a RoboHelp 8 bug in the forums (if it hasn't already been submitted).