10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2008 10:31 PM by Languagegeek

Cursor display

JMulkey Level 1
      When I edit text in the design view of Dreamweaver CS3 for Mac, the cursor appears to be two character spaces to the left of the letter that I am actually typing. This makes it very difficult to type anything in design view. I am currently typing all my text in code view as a workaround. I never had this problem in DW8. Can anyone suggest a way to fix this?
        • 1. Re: Cursor display
          Ron Mayer
          I have the same exact problem - i have an imac 24 nvidia 7600 - and have seen the same error when editing the same page in contribute cs3 - anyone ever come up with a resolution?

The cursor placement is correct in code view.
          • 2. Re: Cursor display
            Languagegeek
            My cursor is fine at the beginning of lines, but gradually loses its place as I go along. Then, at the next line, all is good again.

For me, this is a problem both in the code view and the design view.
            • 3. Re: Cursor display
              Languagegeek Level 1
              I changed my Code View font to Lucida Grande and things seemed to improve a bit. However, whenever I use a combining diacritic, the cursor becomes displaced again.
              • 4. Re: Cursor display
                Languagegeek Level 1
                Is anyone taking a look at this problem?
                • 5. Re: Cursor display
                  Level 7
                  Which problem - can you restate?

--
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                  ==================
                  http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  ==================

"Languagegeek" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:g1n7fs$qs5$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Is anyone taking a look at this problem?

• 6. Re: Cursor display
                    Languagegeek Level 1
                    The problem is that in the design window, as one gets further along in a line of text, the cursor becomes increasingly misplaced: appearing earlier than it should. By the time one is half way across the line of text, the cursor blinks directly on top of characters like ‹m› and blinks behind thinner letters like ‹l›. At line’s end, it might be one or two characters behind.

Consequently, the only way to accurately edit text is to use the Code view.

• 7. Re: Cursor display
                      Level 7
                      Sorry - I can't reproduce the problem....

--
                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                      Adobe Community Expert
                      (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                      ==================
                      http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                      http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                      ==================

"Languagegeek" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                      news:g1pck0$8dn$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > The problem is that in the design window, as one gets further along in a
                      > line
                      > of text, the cursor becomes increasingly misplaced: appearing earlier than
                      > it
                      > should. By the time one is half way across the line of text, the cursor
                      > blinks
                      > directly on top of characters like ?m? and blinks behind thinner letters
                      > like
                      > ?l?. At line?s end, it might be one or two characters behind.
                      >
                      > Consequently, the only way to accurately edit text is to use the Code
                      > view.
                      >
                      >
                      >

• 8. Re: Cursor display
                        Languagegeek Level 1
                        Here is a screenshot of the cursor problem. In the layout window, the cursor is "... that |it's...". In the source window, the cursor is "... that i|t's...". If I type something, it shows up between the i and the t, even though the layout window shows the cursor before the i.

http://www.languagegeek.com/misc/DW_CursorPlacement.tiff
                        • 9. Re: Cursor display
                          JMulkey Level 1
                          The issue has gone away for me. I think it had to do something with my font preferences. I can see from your screenshot that you are using Lucida. Try using these fonts instead:

Proportional font - Times New Roman - 12 pt
                          Fixed Font - Monaco - 10pt
                          Code View - Monaco - 7pt
                          • 10. Re: Cursor display
                            Languagegeek Level 1
                            Yes. If I change the display font to one of the usual fonts: Helvetica, Times, etc., the cursor positions where it should. However, as many pages on my site are in languages which have characters not covered in the standard system fonts, I have assigned other fonts in the CSS. The CSS obviously overrides anything set in the Preferences > Fonts.