10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2010 2:55 PM by the_wine_snob

How can I burn a 2 hour 20 minute video project over 2 DVD's

AUSSKYWeather Level 1

Morning all,

thank you for your help with this.

We have a 2 hor 20 minute movie that we would like to burn onto 2 DVD's (DVD-R) - 1 hour to go on the first DVD and the remaining 1 hour 20 on the 2nd DVD of the set.

1. How do we split the project timeline to be able to do this?

2. Do we need  a separate menu for each DVD?

3. What settings (PAL) should we use to get the highest quality (it's a mix of HDV, DV and jpegs) video?

4. How long would it take to burn each DVD?

5. Is there anything we need to do specially to make multiple copies?

6. What program do you recommend to burn the DVD (either downloadable or freeware)?

7. are there any 'new' CODECS I should have installed on the computer first.

Many thanks,

Jane

• 1. Re: How can I burn a 2 hour 20 minute video project over 2 DVD's
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Jane,

PrE does not allow one to span a DVD set. Instead, you can take your main Project, break it into the two parts, Export each part as a DV-AVI Type II file w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio, and then Import each segment into a separate Project, and author each as a separate DVD-Video.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How can I burn a 2 hour 20 minute video project over 2 DVD's
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As far as Menus go, PrE works with Menu Sets, and will set those up, semi-automatically, per each Project. Unlike an authoring program, such as Adobe Encore, all you have to do is set the Chapter/Menu Markers, and choose the same Menu Set, and PrE will do the heavy-lifting for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How can I burn a 2 hour 20 minute video project over 2 DVD's
              the_wine_snob Level 9

As for the time to Transcode, it will depend on two main factors: the speed of your computer and the Duration of the Timeline.

Those will be the determining factors. To give you an idea, it takes me about 1 hour to Transcode a 1.5 hour Timeline and then burn on my workstation, in Adobe Encore, but on my laptop, that would be about 1.4 hours for the same Timeline. So, it depends.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: How can I burn a 2 hour 20 minute video project over 2 DVD's
                the_wine_snob Level 9

For doing the physical Burn to Disc, there are two easy choices:

1.) Burn to Disc from PrE

2.) Burn to Folder from PrE and then use a freeware program, like ImgBurn (be sure to scroll way down the page to get to the Download button for ImgBurn, as the top is mostly ads).

As far as CODEC's for DVD-Video, all you really need is the MainConcept MPEG-2 CODEC, installed with PrE. I do not recommend adding any CODEC's, unless one really needs them, and then I go to the source, rather than some hacked free version. I am also NOT a fan of any CODEC "pack," as most install all sorts of useless, and possibly detrimental things, and can overwrite purchased, commercial CODEC's on the system. That is just my personal choice.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: How can I burn a 2 hour 20 minute video project over 2 DVD's
                  AUSSKYWeather Level 1

Hi Bill,

thanks heaps for your replies.  How would you 'split' the project?  I had a

bright idea of making 2 copies, making 1 the 1st half and deleting the 2nd

half and the 2nd one by deleting the 1st half off the other copy...but I

don't think that was what you meant...occasionally I can be really thick -

and this is definitely one of those times......

thanks again,

Jane

• 6. Re: How can I burn a 2 hour 20 minute video project over 2 DVD's
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Jane,

In the full Project, there are a couple of easy ways to accomplish things.

1.) Edit until satisfied, and then use the Work Area Bar (WAB) to Export/Share as a DV-AVI Type II file w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio, just the "half" that one wants. Reset the WAB for the other "half," and repeat. Then, Import each DV-AVI, individually, into a New Project for the purpose of authoring, the operation to create and Burn a DVD.

2.) Edit until satisfied, and then Delete the second "half" of the Project, do a Save_As for that Project, and then set up the Menu Set and author as required, Burning to Disc, of Folder (for later Burning to Disc w/ a program, like ImgBurn). Go back to original Project, Delete the first "half," do the Save_As and repeat the process.

The first method is a bit more straight-forward, but one does have the Export/Share operation. The second requires that one do the Save_As, so that the original Project is not overwritten.

As to where you do your "break," that will depend on your Project.

Hope that helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: How can I burn a 2 hour 20 minute video project over 2 DVD's
                      AUSSKYWeather Level 1

Thank you for all your advice - it has worked very well...we have the 1st half of the project burned onto DVD - looks great......

however.....yes, there always is one.....<sigh>

the 2nd half, which was rendered and then saved, is now 'damaged' and can't be opened......unfortunately that was the only copy of the 2nd half that we had after all of the final edits. Even more unfortunate is that Auto Save had been turned off last year (and not turned back on), and because we were right at the end, I didn't make 2 copies of it this time....

are there any ways of getting this project back???  and should we have made more copies at the final stage or should Auto Save be back on...

Hellppp....I think I owe you plenty of coffee and donuts after this saga!!!

Jane

• 8. Re: How can I burn a 2 hour 20 minute video project over 2 DVD's
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Jane,

If you did the Save_As, as you adjusted the edits, just go back to the original Project, and do the Save_As, then delete that first part, and just do a Save, as you will have already written a new Project file (with the Save_As). Then, when finished, do the authoring, as is required for part 2.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: How can I burn a 2 hour 20 minute video project over 2 DVD's
                          AUSSKYWeather Level 1

Unfortunately it was saved over the top not done as a Save_As ....I guess this means we have to go back to the version before that and do the editting again.

Thank you for your help.

Jane

• 10. Re: How can I burn a 2 hour 20 minute video project over 2 DVD's
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, if you did overwrite the original Project file, you will need to reconstruct that, to work on part two.

Good luck,

Hunt