6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2007 9:15 AM by Newsgroup_User

Recognizing unused files

Donna_Ruff
      Is there a way for Dreamweaver to recognize files that are unused, and get rid of them? I created a home page in Fireworks and when it transferred to Dreamweaver, it made a zillion little file pieces. So I re-did the page to make less slices, and then a zillion more files were added to my local folder, none of them named except for numbers and letters. I want to clean up the folder, or it will send all of those to the remote server. I can't figure out how to get files out of the local folder in Dreamweaver anyway, I can only do it in the finder and then update the files on the Files palette.

Thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: Recognizing unused files
          EforEric
          Hi Donna,
          Fireworks generates poor code with respect to anything imported into DW. Try utilizing the tracing image feature in DW and layout the site that way. If you are slicing entire sites from FW to DW you are going to end up with TONS of files. If they are not appropriately named when you export the slices you will lose all your hair trying to figure them out in a matter of hours!

Eric
          • 2. Re: Recognizing unused files
            Donna_Ruff Level 1
            Hi Eric,

I suspected that Fireworks was doing just what Image Ready did- making a bunch of stuff that makes the page more complicated. But I don't want to buy or use a pre-existing template- I may be a complete masochist, but I'm trying to teach this to myself and be able to create my own designs, which right now, for my website and another, are mostly images. I couldn't get Dreamweaver to do what Fireworks did in a very simple way, but I was horrified to see all of those files.

I'm using Fireworks for the rollover Image Swap for a recurring logo/links image with gif files. For the rest of the page I'm using Tables created in DW. Thanks a lot for those sites, which I'll keep in my bookmarks.

I still have the question about managing the files, though. I can't figure out how to delete or sort them out in DW, only in the Finder.

Nice Emerson quote.
            • 3. Re: Recognizing unused files
              EforEric Level 1
              I understand where you're coming from. When I first started that's how I was. You'd be surprised at how many designers/developers use templates. If I buy one, dreamweaverresources.com or projectseven, I buy it for the coding not necessarily for the design. Anyone who claims to build "everything" from scratch on their own is quite likely selling you a bill of goods, especially when it comes to web development.

Did you export everything into DW from FW? If so then all the image files should be in the image folder. However, I'm not sure that you could single out the ones you'd want to delete since they are not specifically named? If your slicing and importing everything from FW then just delete everything and do it again (if you can't separate the images). If you can separate them you should be able to just delete the files from the files panel.

CSS is not difficult to learn, if you put some time in and you'll save a ton of time on updates! If you have DW CS3 pick up the latest book from David Powers "Essential Guide to DW CS3, CSS/Ajax/PHP" it teaches great ways to use css within the DW interface. Dip your toes in, you'll quite like the water I suspect :-)
              • 4. Re: Recognizing unused files
                thlokey Level 1
                I wold reiterate what Eric said about exporting from Fireworks. If you export to the same location(s) then you should just write over existing files. If, however, you are I like was when working in Fireworks years ago...my learning curve was such that I was changing things drastically and every version piled on top of other files.

So...here's a little clean-up trick that I learned from website overhauls:

(1) create a clean (empty) directory to upload your files to or delete files on the remote server (if you can afford to do this). This could be a local folder set up in the Site Manager for speed sake.
                (2) select only the HTML files that you KNOW are current
                (3) Upload these files and include dependent files. Only the current images and related files will be move to the clean directory.
                (4) Then synchronize the two locations choosing "get newer files from remote" and "delete files not on remote". This will delete all the files that are not currently use.

It's a few steps, but I use it to clean up really dirty sites.

-Tod
                • 5. Re: Recognizing unused files
                  Donna_Ruff Level 1
                  Tod, thanks so much. Yes, the learning curve is such that I'm constantly redo-ing. I will use your method. By the way, a friend who took a class in DW said they were taught to create the files and bahaviors in FW then export, just as I'm doing. I hope one day i'll feel more comfortable with all of this, since I had an insane notion I could teach it to myself.

Donna
                  • 6. Re: Recognizing unused files
                    Level 7
                    > said they were taught to create the files and bahaviors in FW then export

Obviously taught by a person with no practical, real-world experience.
                    Exactly the wrong thing to teach....

--
                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                    Adobe Community Expert
                    (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                    ==================
                    http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
                    http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
                    ==================

"Donna Ruff" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    news:famvcq$dhm$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Tod, thanks so much. Yes, the learning curve is such that I'm constantly
                    > redo-ing. I will use your method. By the way, a friend who took a class in
                    > DW
                    > said they were taught to create the files and bahaviors in FW then export,
                    > just
                    > as I'm doing. I hope one day i'll feel more comfortable with all of this,
                    > since
                    > I had an insane notion I could teach it to myself.
                    >
                    > Donna
                    >