1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 14, 2010 5:24 AM by Psioniq

"Reverse Parent Lookup"

Psioniq

Hello

Not quite sure if I should post this here, or in the 3D section - but here goes (in here ^^)

I'm currently in the process of scripting a 3D interface system which has a simple scenegraph associated with it.

Now, all my objects have an ancestor class called "node", which ties into the scenegraph - these nodes have a property called pEnabled and if this is set to true, all of its children will receive updates on stepframe  - and it works pretty good so far.

But - here is my "problem".. (my approach might not be the best for this - but hopefully one of you can help me out)

I have a mouse class that repeatedly updates a list of models under the mouse location - the interface "manager" grabs this data on every update and does a check to see if the model is present in any of the ui element nodes.

If the model is present in the list, I want to enable this node - but - I also want to enable its parent.. and the parents parent.. and the parents, parents parent etc. - until it reaches the rootnode (the ui "manager", which should always be enabled) :]

The reason for doing this, is that I want to cut down on the amount of updates running per frame, as the renderer slows down quite a bit when I have more than ~100 enabled ui elements running - each with their own set of ancestor scripts.

As mentioned - my approach might not be optimal - or even possible - but if any of you have any insight on how to accomplish something like this, I'd greatly appriciate the feedback.

Thanks in advance :]

• 1. Re: "Reverse Parent Lookup"
          Psioniq Level 1

Ooohkay... seems like I figured it out.

I made two simple functions for enabling and disabling:

on enable me 

if voidP(me.pParent.getaprop(#pElements)) then

--- If the parent script is a ui element, enable it

me.pParent.enable()   

end if 

--- Enable this element

me.pEnabled = true

end me

Basically just running the enable() / disable() function on all parents until it reaches the ui "manager".. works like a charm.. so far -.^

Feel free to comment anyway if any of you have anything you'd like to add :]