32 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2011 8:45 AM by hpmoon

Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error

Igor Valentovitch Level 1

Hi Folks,

My Premiere Pro CS5 crashes when I animate clips with still pictures using the 'Motion' values of 'Position' and 'Scale' variables. This has happened few times already. I start editing and after 20min or so the following messages is displayed and the Premiere freezes (please see the attached message). I have edited tons of HD files for the past 3 months (avchd) and have never had a problem - the program was stable. Now the problem occurs after animating such a simple thing as pictures. Any ideas how can I fix this?

My system is: CPU: i7-930, 12GB RAM, GPU: nVidia GTS250 (MSI N250GTS2D1G), Corsair TX750W, Windows 7 64bit

Thanks

• 1. Re: Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error
          {KMS} Level 2

Igor,

How big are your images.  I have recieved the same error messages with large images.  I started this thread about the issues with large images.  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/673072?tstart=0

Are you using the GPU?  If so, what card do you have?  It may be helpful to post all of your info on the thread already started to help find the problem.  On my system, going to software only mode causes the error messages to go away.

KMS

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

He listed his card as "GPU: nVidia GTS250" so, unless he is using the hack, that card is not supported and the GPU is not being used

• 3. Re: Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error

Hi guys and thanks for responding.

I'm using the hack to have my GTS250 GPU utilize the MPE. This turns out to be the problem - when I switch to the 'Software' mode the PrPro works just fine - no error messages. This tells me that hacking a weaker card is of little help. I've noticed that without the hack the red line does appear above the timeline but the playback flows well and it is just the same as having the MPE/GPU acceleration activated with the hack and having a yellow line above the timeline.

KMS - very useful thread. I completely share your conclusions and observations. The OpneGL indeed occurs after adding crossdisolves to the project. What I experienced is that the crash occurs after 10-15 minutes. This tells me that probably the memory of the card reaches its capacity and causes the problem. That is why switching to 'Software' mode solves the issue. My images are not that large so the image size is not the main cause of the problem here. I do weddings so experimenting with the size of each image individually (as Bill suggested) is out of the question for me. After all, there is a reason why Premiere is called 'Pro'.

Igor

• 4. Re: Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error
                {KMS} Level 2

Igor,

As you have seen from my other thread, I am using same card as you.  For video, I have found that it can be a huge help.  I have a timeline that uses all GPU accelerated effects on DSLR footage with crossfades and I can play it back at full resolution only using 25% of the CPU.  In software only mode, the CPU is at 100% and chokes in the crossfade.  As long as GPU accelerated effects are used, big help...even with a lower card.  My findings are that it is better to work in software only with images...

Best of luck.

• 5. Re: Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error

KMS, totally agree with you... but still want to buy a Fermi card

• 6. Re: Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

You might want to save your pennies until the cards are officially supported. I've got a GTX 480, and I have the same issue as you fellas. There's no question the cards will be supported, but I don't think this issue is necessarily isolated to "weaker" cards or the hack. It was alarming enough that an engineer contacted me to send a project file and some of the problem media. We shall see...

• 7. Re: Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error
                      {KMS} Level 2

Hacking my GTS 250 has made me want to buy a supported card...but right now, it seems like the issues that I have are not limited to unsupported cards.  I don't want to invest in a more expensive card to see the same problems persist...I hope things will change in future point updates...

• 8. Re: Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error

Hi KMS,

If you remember we both have the same graphic card (softmoded GTS250) which causes PP CS5 to crash when exporting animated still images with the hardware GPU activated. Switching to software mode fixes the problem.

Recently, I experienced the same glitch while exporting a project in Encore. The memory error would occur exactly when the rendering of the panned&zoomed still images starts. Switching back to software mode in PrPro fixes the problem again.

I was wondering, if one goes for a GTX 285 card (which officially supports GPU acceleration) will this solve the issue with the memory glitches?

Getting a Qudaro card is not in my budget.But how about trying one of the new Fermi cards - they also are not on the list of GPU supported cards - will they suffer from the same problem as our cards do? One of the members reported they they do but probably the problem has been already fixed. Do you have any new information about all this?

Igor

• 9. Re: Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

I was wondering, if one goes for a GTX 285 card (which officially supports GPU acceleration) will this solve the issue with the memory glitches?

Nope, not in the current release of Premiere. The problem is actually in the underlying code for hardware MPE, and not in the "official-ness" of a particular GPU. The engineer I communicated with on this issue said that he'd found the bug and, apparently, taken care of it; I'm hopeful it will be included in the forthcoming point update.

But how about trying one of the new Fermi cards - they also are not on the list of GPU supported cards - will they suffer from the same problem as our cards do? One of the members reported they they do but probably the problem has been already fixed.

As above, they do right now--my GTX 480 suffers the issue (it was probably me that you're referring to). For now, we can only wait...

• 10. Re: Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error
                            {KMS} Level 2

Igor,

Sorry for the delay, but Colin has done a good job summarizing what I have found.  I was looking at buying a new graphics card that is supported, but when I discovered that it was a general problem, I decided to hold off.  My card has plenty of power for my needs (I rarely use more than three layers of video), but if I could fix the problem with large images with new card I would...I'm just waiting for an update to see if anything changes with images.  Otherwise, I am happy with the playback performance.  It would be fun to see how much more power a higher level card has.

• 11. Re: Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error

Thank you Colin and KMS.

I guess we should wait for this bug to be fixed by Adobe.

This actually is a major thing - many videographers combine video with animated still images.

• 12. Re: Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error
                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The   Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update fixes some issues with performance and stability when working with still images, including problems encountered when large still images were processed by the GPU portion of the Mercury playback engine.

When you have updated Premiere Pro CS5, let us know whether your problem is fixed.

See this page for details about the Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update:

http://bit.ly/djiyh4

Please report bugs that persist after the update here:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

• 13. Re: Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error
                                  {KMS} Level 2

Igor,

I was curios if you have updated to 5.02?  I wanted to compare notes with you to see if we are getting similar results.  I have played around with the new update and large images.  On my machine, large images using the GPU has increased in performance and stability.  That is the good news, but...  Let me run through my experience so far.

I updated PPRO to 5.02 and placed large images on the timeline and keyframed them using scale and position.  Then I applied the cross dissolve to all the images.  I exported the timeline to h.264 1080p @29.97.  Success!  I could never export a timeline successfully with the GPU and large images prior to the update.

I applied more images and more cross dissolves...bump.  My screen started to look like it was snowing pixels, the computer locked up, then I received an error message found in this image http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1426292/share/PPRO_5.02_GPU_Crash_01.JPG(the snowy pixels did not show up in the screen grab).  I rebooted my machine, but using the GPU was terrible.

I decided to update graphics card driver from version 197.? to the current one 258.?  Great!  All the problems seemed to go away.  I could use large images with transitions, scrub, tweak the transitions, and everything seemed rock solid.  So I tested and tested some more.  Things seemed great, I was starting to think the bug was squashed, but I finally was able to get PPRO to crash http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1426292/share/PPRO_5.02_GPU_Crash_01.JPG (same image as above).

So the good news, with the most up to date graphics card driver and PPRO 5.02, stability while rendering large images using the GPU has greatly increased.  However, there is still a problem somewhere in the pipeline.  I feel that the problem lies in the GPU transitions.  They were the problem prior to the update and I only get the error when the CTI is located on one.  The other indication that the GPU accelerated transitions are the problem is the fact that on my machine if you adjust the start and end % of the transition in the Effects Control panel, nothing happens even though the thumbnails update correctly.  The transition's start and end % in GPU mode are ignored.  However, in software mode, the transition's start and end % are reflected on the timeline and render correctly.  The problem occurs for all GPU transitions (there are only three).

I would love to hear other experience with the update.

• 14. Re: Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error
                                    {KMS} Level 2

I spoke too soon.  I noticed that the "large" images that I was trying out were not as big as the the images used in my previous testing.  I imported the same pictures that I initially had trouble with which are 4272 x 2848.  After applying cross dissolves and keyframing the size and motion on three images, problems showed up.  The pixel snow, PPRO locked up, then the BSOD.

I don't have any problems with HD video...just large images.  Looks like if you want to use large images a person should use software only.  I wish there was a preference that allowed a person to have all image files handled by the CPU and video files handled by the GPU.

Also, I have noticed scrubbin a timeline of images is much smoother in Software Mode.  In GPU mode, the srubbing is a little more jerky.  I would like to know if this problem exist with a supported card.  If the problem does not exist, I could make a case to upgrade my card.  However, I am going to be upset if I buy a new card to only have the same problems arise.

Kevin

• 15. Re: Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error

Thanks for the detailed update Kevin. Looks like you have been getting mixed results. I understand from your note that the problem with large images remains but I got confused about what actually has improved after the update? What do you consider a 'large' image?

I'll do similar days soon and share my results.

It would be interesting to see if folks with supported cards have the same problem after the update.

• 16. Re: Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error
                                        {KMS} Level 2

Igor,

I'm looking forward to hearing how the update works out on your machine.  It has been an interesting ride the last few days.  In short, I have given up on using the "hack".  I have removed my card from the CUDA list and I am running software mode only now.  I am hoping to eventually buy a supported card.

I have found problems with the Nvidia driver 258.? on my machine.  While I did gain some marginal abiltiy to work with larger images using the GPU, I started to get frequent OpenGL error messages and crashing in After Effects with the updated driver, so I have reverted back to version 197.? and all seems to be well again.

It makes me worry using the "hack" on video jobs.  The hack is fun to play with to see how well the playback can be using the GPU, but I don't want to work on time sensitive material always wondering if something I add to the timeline will cause it to crash, or worse, corrupt a project file.  For me, I don't think the benefits out weigh the downside of the "hack".

I have considered using the "hack" on video only projects, but I don't know if the problems will eventually turn up on long projects or not.  Most of my most recent projects have been fairly short.  I do realize that my large images  that have causing the crashes are huge (approx. 4300 x 2800), but in software only mode they are not a problem at all...really smooth.  If I had more time, I would fine the maximum image size that I could work with without causing my system to crash, but I don't have that much time to play with it.  It seems that the smaller the image, the longer it takes to make it crash, but eventually, I can always make it crash.  So, I wonder if any image size could be a problem, but it just takes longer for the crash to occur?

I really wish that someone with a supported card would try some large images and run it through some testing.  Once I get a supported card, my large images will be my first test.  If it crashes with a supported card, I'm not going to be real happy.  Some have suggested the problem may be the amount of RAM on my GTS 250, but my card has 1GB, which is about how much many of the supported cards have.

I am wondering if the GTS 250 just doesn't have enough muscle to work with the images?  Anyone with a supported card want to give it a go?  The time would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

• 17. Re: Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error
                                          {KMS} Level 2

Colin,

I was curious if the problems with large images has gone away with the update to PPRO 5.02?  I am looking at buying a GTX 470, but I am going be disappointed if the same problem comes up.  I have seen some improvement with the GTS 250 and 5.02, but I can still invoke a crash...it just takes longer.

Igor,

What were your findings with the update to 5.02?  I was wondering if you have upgraded your card?

Kevin

• 18. Re: Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error
                                            3dmus

I'm getting the same issue when working (especially animating scale & position) with large image files (4928 x 3264) in PP CS5.5. Not consistently, but once and a while it crashes with the aforementioned error message. My NVIDIA card (GTX460 SE) is on driver version 8.17.12.6101.

Has there been any further update on this? Any other driver version I should be using?

• 19. Re: Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error

I have upgraded to GTX470 (most current driver installed). The performance is better but still the system freezes upon 15-20min of rendering a timeline filled exclusively with animated still images (rather large files). The only solution is to switch off the MPE while rendering animated stills. The freeze defenetely has to do with the VRAM of the GPU. I am curious if guys with expensive Quadro cards get the same problem. After all, GTX470 is on the list of the recommended by Adobe cards but still fails to deliver.

• 20. Re: Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error
                                                3dmus Level 1

Thanks for the update Igor. Quick further question: do you only get the issue when you render or also with normal/real time playback?

• 21. Re: Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error

I run into this OpenGL error only during rendering. As I'm not sure when the problem will occur, I always turn off the MPE before rendering of timelines with animated stills. This might slow you down a bit but defenetely will bring you to the end of the render process. I actually recommend the GTX 470 card for previewing animated images is a breeze with it. This was not the case with GTS250, GTS450 and GTX 260 - I tested all of them and GTX 470 defenetely is the best in this bunch. It runs hotter though. Hope this helps

• 22. Re: Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error
                                                    {KMS} Level 2

Iqor,

What are the sizes of your stills?  Do you have just one layer or several?  Are there filters aplied to the images?  If so, which ones.  I will try to reproduce the problem on my end.  I have a GTX 460 and I have not had any problems since I upgraded from my GTS 250.  However, I have found that images that are 4000 pixels on the long edge are large enough for everything I need to do, so maybe I am below the threshold of image size for hardware MPE.  Thanks.

KMS

• 23. Re: Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error
                                                      3dmus Level 1

I just updated to the latesty NVIDIA drivers (275.33) and something weird is happening now. My full size pictures (4928 x 3264) are not displayed on my external preview monitor anymore when playing from the timeline, the remainder of the timeline (AVCHD) is still showing there. Also the stills *are* still shown in the normal reference monitor.

When I slightly resize the stills (in my case I resized it to 75%), they are shown on the external monitor?? So far no crashes, and can live with resizing pictures for now, but am unsure if this behaviour is to be expected. To be clear, with my previous drivers the stills would always show on the external monitor.

• 24. Re: Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error
                                                        hpmoon Level 1

I'm reading repeatedly in this discussion the impossible notion of "turning off MPE."  There is no such thing.

You can, though, disable GPU acceleration within the MPE.

• 25. Re: Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error

That basically is the same thing. We use shortcut expressions here

• 26. Re: Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error
                                                            hpmoon Level 1

Igor Valentovitch wrote:

That basically is the same thing. We use shortcut expressions here

No, it isn't.  And you probably still don't understand the difference.

• 27. Re: Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error
                                                              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

hpmoon is right.

I address this misleading terminology confusion here, toward the beginning.

• 28. Re: Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error

Thanks Todd, this is good to know. The point remains the same though: PrP runs into trouble when rendering timelines with large format stills unless the GPU acceleration is disabled. I do wedding videography and animated stills are a must. I employ the radio-edit technique (stills change on the music beat) to accommodate around 20-30 images in the 'Extras' section of the wedding movie. This has been the case with GTS 250, GTX260, GTS450 and to lesser extend with GTX470.

• 29. Re: Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error
                                                                  Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

Is it still the same nVidia error message that the driver has stopped responding?

I had this issue for a while with stale nVidia drivers - I don't remember which at the time.  Assuming you're running the latest though, the other thing to consider is that it could possibly be a bus error that's tripping up the driver.  What's your motherboard, is the BIOS up to date, have you tried other PCI-E slots, are you overclocking your motherboard / GPU (not worth it unless you really know what you're doing...), is your GPU overheating due to inadequate venting? Those are the things that come to mind...

Cheers

• 30. Re: Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error
                                                                    d4digital Level 1

Not sure if this has been aswered, sorry if I'm covering old ground, but I had very similar issues with the MPE cashing out during rendering in WIN7-64, CS5.5, GTX480, etc. I had to turn it off to render, etc. It was the huge stills that were in my timeline that had come from the creative design agency that were killing it and causing the OpenGL Code 7. They were massive resolution. As soon as I resized the images in PS to my project size 1920x1080, MPE was fine.

This was very useful for me

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2010/07/maximum_dimensions_in_premiere.html

Hope this helps someone.

• 31. Re: Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error
                                                                      David Zeno Level 1

Today, is Sept.29, 2011,

Running PP 5.02, and can tell you it is 100% the cause of large photos.  I'm on a project right now, using huge files from a Canon 60D, ( original files ), these files are huge,

5184 x 3456 dimensions ( straight from the camera )

I have one image that I used a simple zoom on, and bingo, the problem started happening.

Simply reduce the file size before you import the image, and the problem goes away.

I'm using an Nvidia GT470 by the way.

I found this thread ( I know it's old, but it is still valid today ) here, which lead me to the Adobe forum thread I'm responding to.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=190107 ( this user had the same problem )

"NVIDIA OpenGL Driver your hardware configuration does not meet specifications needed to run the application"

• 32. Re: Help: PrPro CS5 crashes due to OpenGL error
                                                                        hpmoon Level 1

David Zeno wrote:

Today, is Sept.29, 2011,

Running PP 5.02, and can tell you it is 100% the cause of large photos.  I'm on a project right now, using huge files from a Canon 60D, ( original files ), these files are huge,

5184 x 3456 dimensions ( straight from the camera )

I have one image that I used a simple zoom on, and bingo, the problem started happening.

Simply reduce the file size before you import the image, and the problem goes away.

I'm using an Nvidia GT470 by the way.

I found this thread ( I know it's old, but it is still valid today ) here, which lead me to the Adobe forum thread I'm responding to.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=190107 ( this user had the same problem )

"NVIDIA OpenGL Driver your hardware configuration does not meet specifications needed to run the application"

Thanks for adding your confirmation of this error, so that more people are confident that there is a solution.

However, it's totally unacceptable that Adobe has failed to address this issue after more than a year of bug reports.  The idea of a picture file being so large has been a regular excuse, assuming for some reason that it is technically demanding, but really it's just a large JPEG -- in comparison to the extraodinary computing muscle that Premiere constantly engages in to decompress 30 or more frames per second.  CS5.5 did NOT fix this issue.  And, as was noted, Adobe claimed to have addressed the problem, which they didn't.

The reason I'm passionate about Adobe fixing this, instead of me reducing the picture sizes as "demanded," is that I (like 99% of us) pan and scan around my photos.  Any project where I'd re-size those pictures would require hours and hours of starting from scratch on those movements, for obvious reasons.

Here's a thought, though (and still not an acceptable solution until Adobe literally takes us seriously):  maybe replacing all large JPEGs with PSD files, OF THE SAME DIMENSIONS, would spare us having to re-do all scaling/movement while avoiding the crash.  I suspect this because it is Adobe's native format, and perhaps a PSD cross-reference only pulls resolution as necessary since it's a dynamic linking environment.  Just a thought; if anyone finds (compromised) success, let us know!