19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2010 7:54 AM by stefav Branched from an earlier discussion.

Premiere CS5 Constantly Crashing

PacBluez

Have you tried exporting anything yet?  I've tried exporting things over & over.  Tried using different formats (uncompressed avi, flv/f4v, mpeg4, mpeg2, etc.), qeuing in Media Encoder (CS5) and forget it.  So yeah, that's why I'm here.  It'll crash every time you export.  Then if you've qeued it to Media Encoder, it'll show errors.  Every other program in the package works fine.  Premiere exports?  Forget it.

• 1. Re: Premiere CS5 Constantly Crashing
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with Colin, that a new thread would be best, so that folk to not get confused about what is happening to whom. For the details, that would be very helpful, this ARTICLE will give you tips, and also tell you have to gather some some of it.

Some folk, such as I, get confused daily about which forum, they are in, mush less what info has been furnished in a thread. Lot of sharp people here (self excluded), and they will have some suggestions in a hurry.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Besides, Harm Millaard (valued contributor here) will not even post to thread, if he cannot still get the "Correct Answer" award...

• 2. Re: Premiere CS5 Constantly Crashing
            dradeke Adobe Employee

PacBluez wrote:

I beg to differ, Chuck.  Have you tried exporting anything yet?  I've tried exporting things over & over.  Tried using different formats (uncompressed avi, flv/f4v, mpeg4, mpeg2, etc.), qeuing in Media Encoder (CS5) and forget it.  So yeah, that's why I'm here.  It'll crash every time you export.  Then if you've qeued it to Media Encoder, it'll show errors.  Every other program in the package works fine.  Premiere exports?  Forget it.

Pacbluez, I think we'd all be ready to help.  Can you outline what your system is and what specifically is the problem.  I export things over and over and they always work the first time...

The first thing you might try is to clean your media cache and trashing your prefs. http://blogs.adobe.com/genesisproject/2009/11/having_weird_behavior_with_an.html

Dennis

• 3. Re: Premiere CS5 Constantly Crashing
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

PacBluez, the   Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update fixes several crashing issues.

When you have updated Premiere Pro CS5, let us know whether your problem is fixed.

See this page for details about the Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update:

http://bit.ly/djiyh4

Please report bugs that persist after the update here:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

• 4. Re: Premiere CS5 Constantly Crashing
                stefav

Hello, I have the same problem PacBluez. I have updated all the production premium suit, but the problem remains.
                I also trashed the media cache and prefs, as recommended by dradeke, but is the same.
                Can anyone help me?
                Thanks

My pc is: win7 pro x64, intel i7 720qm, 4GB DDR3, HD 7200rpm, Nvidia Video card.

• 5. Re: Premiere CS5 Constantly Crashing
                  dradeke Adobe Employee

Other suggestions

1. update your graphics driver to the latest
                  2. do an uninstall/reinstall of CS5 - using CS5 clean script after you deactivate and uninstall
                  3. purchase more memory - if you have a large project and 4GB of RAM, that isn't going to cut it, not by a long shot.  8GB is really the minimum, but try the other two things first as they're both free.

Cheers,

Dennis

• 6. Re: Premiere CS5 Constantly Crashing
                    stefav Level 1

Thank you for your reply. I am a student and I do not do big projects, especially with more open programs. In fact, the problem has always appeared with very short test video and with only 2GB of ram used. Unfortunately, it is already the second time that I install the suite, but the problem persists. Furthermore, before the second installation, I formatted the whole computer, updated all the drivers and the operating system and installed only the programs essential: so do not think I have a dirty operating system.

Thanks
                    Stefano
                    • 7. Re: Premiere CS5 Constantly Crashing
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Are there any error messages? If so, exactly what do they say? What is the exact sequence of actions that you've taken just before the crash---i.e., exactly which commands or buttons did you click, and in what order?

What kinds of footage are you working with? What plug-ins?

Do you have any other software running when the problem occurs?

Finally, please confirm that you're running Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2). (Choose Help > About Premiere Pro, and look at the version number.)

• 8. Re: Premiere CS5 Constantly Crashing
                        shooternz Level 6
                        My pc is: win7 pro x64, intel i7 720qm, 4GB DDR3, HD 7200rpm, Nvidia Video card.

Do yuo only have the one drive in your system?

• 9. Re: Premiere CS5 Constantly Crashing
                          stefav Level 1

Todd_Kopriva, shooternz,    yes, I have Premiere Pro CS5 v.5.0.2 and also AME up to date. I have two 500GB 7200rpm hard drives, one for the operating system and programs and one for data (video).
                          When the error occurs, in addition to Premiere and AME, the only two programs that are open are the antivirus (AVG Anti-virus) and the firewall (Zone Alarm) but this one does not block any adobe application.

Once I have captured a video in avi format directly from my DV camera, I tried to encode both mpeg2 that H.264, but with both encodings are experiencing the problem. I have no plug-in installed, only the original suite.

The exact sequence of events that I do are:
                          1 - I start the computer (so rule out any other crash earlier);
                          2 - I open premiere and load an existing project with at least two sequences;
                          3 - I open a sequence, then "File => Export => Multimedia Files";
                          4 - Set the encoding parameters, in particular, for example, MPEG2 and press the "queue" button. At this point, it automatically opens Adobe Media Encoder. Sometimes I can encode the video, sometimes happens that describes in the second part of 5).
                          5 - In any case I select another sequence, repeat 3) and 4). At this point I bring to the foreground window AME (AME think it has already crashed because the window does not automatically appear in the foreground). AME has sometimes only a sequence, sometimes both the sequences to encode. Whether I wait for the encoding starts automatically or whether I force it, the encoding status is "waiting", and in practice the encoding never starts (0% CPU). No error message.
                          6 - I stop the queue, I delete videos in the queue, I close AME and premiere, but the processes remain in the task manager and I can not kill them. So I have to restart the computer in order to reopen premiere.

If I open AME individually without opening it through premiere and I encode simple avi files, it seems works.
                          Also the direct encode from premiere works very well, but keeps busy the program.

I hope I was clear

Thank you

• 10. Re: Premiere CS5 Constantly Crashing
                            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

AVG has been known to cause problems with Pr, and Zone Alarm is simply

awful for performance and effectiveness (my personal experience).

-Jeff

• 11. Re: Premiere CS5 Constantly Crashing
                              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>HD 7200rpm, Nvidia Video card

Only one hard drive is not NEARLY enough! (I have 3 drives)

Read Harm on drive setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972?tstart=0
                              - click the embedded picture in Harm's message to enlarge to reading size
                              - you need AT LEAST 2 drives for video editing, 3 is better
                              - some HD formats work better with (require) RAID

Read Hunt on Partitions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708?tstart=0

A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

Which model nVidia card, and what is the driver number?

• 12. Re: Premiere CS5 Constantly Crashing
                                stefav Level 1

Jeff Bellune, I do not think Zone Alarm is the problem because even closing the program, premiere crashes. I can not close AVG anti-virus so I can not say in advance whether or not it is the problem's cause.

John T Smith, I have the Nvidia GeForce GT230M with the latest driver released by nvidia (8.17.12.5896 of 09/07/2010). Moreover, as I said above, I not have a single hard drive but two: one for the OS and applications and one dedicated for the video. I don't have to make large projects: I am a student and I can not spend a lot of money in hardware. In any case I don't understand why the adobe suites can not operate in a system like mine: it will be slow, but it must work! I repeat that when premiere crashes I have still 2GB of free ram, I'm not using virtual ram or some other obscenity in video editing.

Thanks

Stefano

• 13. Re: Premiere CS5 Constantly Crashing
                                  dradeke Adobe Employee

Stefano,

The simplest way to find out is to uninstall the applications (if you don't know how to deactivate temporarily) and determine whether they are the problem or not.  I'm pretty sure the problem has to do with your system and not the software itself.

Dennis

• 14. Re: Premiere CS5 Constantly Crashing
                                    stefav Level 1

I'm in disbelief, I have uninstalled AVG and now after putting the videos in the queue, I can start encoding! Although, after having codified the first, AME begins to encode the second and crashes! At this point I must restart the PC with the power button. I don't know what to think!

Stefano

• 15. Re: Premiere CS5 Constantly Crashing
                                      shooternz Level 6

Maybe you have an over heating issue or a "bottle neck" between CPU, drives and RAM?

• 16. Re: Premiere CS5 Constantly Crashing
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Removing AVG is a good step in the right direction. Now check the second link in this link: Some suggestions...

• 17. Re: Premiere CS5 Constantly Crashing
                                          Giorgio1957 Level 3

Stefano,

I know what I'm going to tell will get you frustrated.

Yes, I'm speaking 'bout re-installation!

you have just discover that AVG affects ( a bit ) your CS5.

You have said you have just re-installed the suite without any successes.

But, have you switched off all your antiviruses (AVG in primis) during the installation?

This is very important as a complete cleaning of your pc from any trace remained after uninstallation.

I hope you have done this following steps:

-uninstall

-clear everything mentioning Adobe CS5 from register and folders (Program, Users etc)

-switch off antivirs, antiadwares etc disconnecting from internet

-install the suite

-switch on antivirs

-update

Then will be useful to run all the CS5 application as admin.

Let me know if this will help

Ciao

Giorgio

• 18. Re: Premiere CS5 Constantly Crashing
                                            stefav Level 1

Thank you for your time and for the time you lost, but I can not install the entire suite and throughout the operating system several times to see if the problem goes away. After all, the problem is not of vital importance to me. Maybe I'll try when I have more time.
                                            Thanks to all

Stefano

• 19. Re: Premiere CS5 Constantly Crashing
                                              stefav Level 1

The problem is ZoneAlarm (I have free edition). Uninstalling it or simply if I shutdown the firewall, adobe doesn't crash.

Favero Stefano