8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2010 12:00 PM by nealeh

everything blurry, happening on render

alexruimy

premiere elements 8

i googled and searched this forum and found a bunch of threads with similar issues, but none of them seemed to have a solid resolution (lol).  example: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2801228

using the standard hd video settings that came with elements, imported psds (huge 300dpi files that have always scaled well) and rendered text come out blurry. i'm using helvetica font.

the problem seems to occur when i render. i opened a new premiere file using hd settings, typed in text and it came out clear. then i pushed enter to render, it rendered and switched to low quality.

screen shots here:

before render: http://www.alexruimy.com/uploads/files/notblurry.png

after render: http://www.alexruimy.com/uploads/files/blurry.png

the video renders in the same quality. i burned to dvd and it looked exactly the same on a tv and pc.

here's a simple sample video i made using only print quality psd files  and rendered text: http://www.redgoodbye.com/commercial-temp

there has to be something that i'm doing wrong. can someone please help?

• 1. Re: everything blurry, happening on render
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

You mention HD Presets. Could you tell us exactly which one you chose?

You say that you are using large PSD's. What are the pixel x pixel dimensions? Note: in video, DPI/PPI are totally meaningless and will be ignored - it is only the pixel x pixel dimensions that matter.

When you say Render (as the Enter key was mentioned), I assume that you are referring to Rendering for smoother viewing, and not Export. Is that correct?

When you do Export/Share, what are your settings there?

As for Titles, there was a link to an article in the link that you included. It addresses softness in Title text, in a DV Project. Did you follow that link? However, it appears that you are not working in a DV Project and are not authoring and Burning to DVD, but doing an Export to an HD file, for viewing on a computer. Is that correct?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: everything blurry, happening on render
            alexruimy Level 1

thanks for the quick reply.

- hd preset: HDV 720p 30

- my psd file is 1432x1432 at 300dpi. how can dpi be meaningless?

- i've used enter/render, share->personal computer->mpeg and share->disc. all with the same output.

- for share settings i've used the HD 720p preset, NTSC DVD Standard and a custom MPEG2 setting i created to comply with google tv ads standards. all with the same output.

- i did read that article and what you said is correct. i am not working in a dv project (hdv != dv, correct?)

• 3. Re: everything blurry, happening on render
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              - my psd file is 1432x1432 at 300dpi. how can dpi be meaningless?

That is a good pixel x pixel size. The DPI is ONLY for printing, and is totally ignored in Video. PPI is only for display, say on the computer (not from Video) and for a Web site, and is totally ignored. The general default for Video is 72 ppi, but even that is meaningless, as the display properties are set by the NLE (Non Linear Editor) and only the Frame Size (and PAR for SD material) will be honored. That 72 ppi is really just for viewing of the image on the computer, as one edits.

Both the Project Preset and Export/Share look good to me. Maybe another will see something that I am missing. You should have sharper text. Normally, an HD Project will yield very good results, and it's more often the SD Project, especially if viewed on an HD computer monitor, or HD TV, where real issues arise.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: everything blurry, happening on render
                alexruimy Level 1

$15 on paypal to anyone who can help me fix this

• 5. Re: everything blurry, happening on render
                  nealeh Level 5

You are using a Helvetica font. On my system that is neither a standard Windows font, nor a font installed with my PRE7. As a test try using a standard Windows font such as Arial or an Adobe PRE font such as Adobe Pi Std and see if that solves your blurry problem.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: everything blurry, happening on render
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you tried opening a project with HDV settings -- 1440x1080?

Meantime, don't be concerned about how things look in the Monitor. Even after rendering, it's not a good measure of how your final video will look. In fact, if you right-click on the Monitor and set it to a percentage display (up to 100%) rather than Fit, it may even look clearer!

It's the results that matter. Not the results you see on your computer -- since computer monitors are much higher in resolution than TVs. But output a BluRay disc from that HDV file and play it on your hi-def TV. It should look crystal clear.

As for the video you linked to in an earlier post, it really looks very good for Web video. So put away your money (or better yet, spend it on one of my books on Amazon!)    Your issue isn't likely an issue at all. It's just the nature of viewing video on a computer monitor and all of the limitations thereof.

• 7. Re: everything blurry, happening on render
                      alexruimy Level 1

i have rebuilt the project several times with different settings and tested everything that was labeled HD to no avail.

i appreciate your help but i can't not be concerned about how things look in the monitor. i watch a lot of shows on my computer, they look perfect. i render videos in that horrible avs video editor and even there everything comes out clear. there is no chance a product like premiere elements can't do what i'm trying to do here.

my view setting has been on 100% instead of fit for as long as i've been trying to fix this problem.

• 8. Re: everything blurry, happening on render
                        nealeh Level 5

What was the result from using the fonts I suggested you tried?

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children