31 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2010 11:01 AM by DanM88

Trouble installing OSMFPlayer to stream HTTP dynamically

DanM88

I am trying to setup an environment to do HTTP Dynamic Streaming with OSMF. I am following the tutorial at http://help.adobe.com/en_US/HTTPStreaming/1.0/Using/WS7b362c044b7dd076-735e76121260080a90e -7fff.html#WS8af793f9af34bea079185b712874092c43-8000.

I have the server setup as per the tutorials instructions, however when I go to http://<server>/OSMFPlayer.html the images and text loads, but the player does not appear. The index.html works fine at http://<server>/.

Furthermore, I created a manifest file to get the media, but when I try to get that with http://<server>/vod/<filename>.f4m it just loads a text file displaying the XML-like, manifest file information.

I am not sure if these problems are related, but I feel that I am close to finally figuring out how to set this up, so please help. Any advice or ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

• 2. Re: Trouble installing OSMFPlayer to stream HTTP dynamically
          DanM88 Level 1

UPDATE: I reloaded the OSMFPlayer folder and it worked this time (not exactly sure why).

My problem now is with the manifest file. I create it and try to load it in the OSMFPlayer, but I get an error that says, "Stream not found."

What are the possible causes of a Stream Not Found error?

Thanks,

Dan

• 3. Re: Trouble installing OSMFPlayer to stream HTTP dynamically
            ScreenName1710b

First, I'm assuming that you are running flash player 10.1 - http streaming will only work with 10.1.

Is this a provided f4m file, or a one that you've run through the filepackager?

I found that the provided OSMF player (with zeri 3.8) does not play newly packaged F4M's by the filepackager (or dynamic ones done through livepkgr).

I had to recompile the OSMF player (or start with a new OSMFbasic player example with tweaks to use DynamicStreamingResource(url) for F4M files):

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662964?tstart=0

Hope that helps.

-Will

• 4. Re: Trouble installing OSMFPlayer to stream HTTP dynamically
              DanM88 Level 1

Thanks Will,

I am using 10.1. And yes, I am packaging it with the filepackager that Adobe provides (f4fpackager). Could you possibly give me a more thorough example of how to recompile the OSMFPlayer, or what a new sample player would look like? I have a some experience with coding, but I am brand new to Flash/Flex. I have been working (for about a week) with CS5 and a little with Flash Builder 4, however, I'm still pretty overwhelmed trying to get them to do what I want.

Again thanks for the help!

Dan

• 5. Re: Trouble installing OSMFPlayer to stream HTTP dynamically
                ScreenName1710b Level 1

Yeah, well there is the rub.

Here is the procedure as I have made it to work. However, I'll give you this caveat up front I've made this work in Flex 3, and have not tried in Flash Builder 4...this way I know does work, so you can try it in 4 and see if it works.

1. Import the OSMFPlayer project (File>Import>other>general/existing project) from the core files  (apps/samples/framework/OSMFPlayer) into Flex/Flash builder (it will only compile from Flex/Flash Builder and I don't think it will in Flash)

2. Pull down the current trunk code for OSMF (I've gotten the AS files to work, and have had issues with the OSMF SWC)

3. Place that code in the source directory (src) - so that /org is the directory starts in the src directory.

4. Now go to OSMF> libs/samples/ChromeLibrary and copy that /org directory as well into the OSMFPlayer/src directory  (this contains the AS for the ChromeLibary)

5. Make sure you are using either FB 4.0.1- or referencing the playerglobal.swc for flash player 10.1

6. Confirm in your complie settings (Project>Properties>ActionScript Compiler) make sure there is "-define CONFIG::FLASH_10_1 true"

7. Build

I've compiled a custom version of the OSMFPlayer, so I know that this should work (hopefully I didn't miss any steps).

Let me know if I can help you out anymore.

-Will

1 person found this helpful
                • 6. Re: Trouble installing OSMFPlayer to stream HTTP dynamically
                  rshin Level 3

Thanks Will for the posting the steps above.

I am curious what f4m content didn't playback on the provided OSMFPlayer that you had to recompile yourself? Can you post the example file for that?

Ryan

• 7. Re: Trouble installing OSMFPlayer to stream HTTP dynamically
                    ScreenName1710b Level 1

Actually we had this conversation a few weeks ago.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662964?tstart=0

I was having a problem from Flex when compiling and I was using livepkgr from FMS 3.8.

When using the default OSMFPlayer and livepkgr - I couldn't see the live HTTP streams, or example streams that were provided with Zeri, but I could see the Elephants Dream dyn. HTTP stream from Akamai.

When I compiled a player from OSMF core AS code in Flash and it worked fine - but my compile from Flex seemed to have errors.

My issue ended up being a missing definitions (FLASH_10_1 true)  in my compile, while you had provided the SWC I wasn't (and still not able) to get it to compile using that SWC.

No problems with OSMF when using the AS files, unfortunately, I may have clients that need (or will use) the SWC provided by Adobe.

Thanks.

-Will

• 8. Re: Trouble installing OSMFPlayer to stream HTTP dynamically
                      DanM88 Level 1

Will,

I have completed all the steps, yet when I try to build I get the following error - unable to open \osmf_source_v1-0\libs\samples\ChromeLibrary\bin\ChromeLibrary.swc'.

I have looked around for it but all I have in that folder are .actionScriptProperties, .flexLibProperties, .project, ChromeLibrary-build-config.xml, and ChromeLibrary-build-config.xml.bak. Is the ChromeLibrary.swc something I need to make or have, or did I miss a step?

My file system basically looks like this now,

\osmf_source_v1-0\libs\samples\framework\OSMFPlayer\src > and all org folders from OSMF, OSMFPlayer, and ChromeLibrary.

Also, when you say "I've gotten the AS files to work, and have had issues with the OSMF  SWC", what does that mean? What are which AS files supposed to do? and what is the OSMF.swf supposed to do? I think that would really help me understand whats going on here.

Thanks,

Dan

• 9. Re: Trouble installing OSMFPlayer to stream HTTP dynamically
                        ScreenName1710b Level 1

I might have missed a step, where you need to remove the reference in the build to the ChromeLibrary.swc.

In the project properties (if you pulled in the project directly) it will do a library reference and it is expecting the ChromeLibrary.swc, you'll have to remove that reference if you are using the direct AS files.

Think of a SWC as a group of "complied" AS files; the AS files are the raw text files that you can use. SWCs are useful for distrubuting useable compile time code while protecting the actual AS file source from modifications.

My issues with the OSMF.swc are probably a combination of my own issues and playerglobal etc. Other people may not have the issues.

-Will

• 10. Re: Trouble installing OSMFPlayer to stream HTTP dynamically
                          DanM88 Level 1

Great! But once I fixed that I went from 1 error to 104!

Example error:
                          1046: Type was not found or was not a compile-time constant: DRMAuthenticationCompleteEvent

I was eventually able to build the project successfully, but only after changing the CONFIG::FLASH_10_1 property from true to false. I seem to be missing the libraries necessary to use this property. Is it possible that my trial version of Flash Builder 4 didn't come with these libraries? And how will this solve my original problem? Can I fix it without CONFIG::FLASH_10_1 being true?

Thanks again for all the help, I feel much more confident now.

Dan

• 11. Re: Trouble installing OSMFPlayer to stream HTTP dynamically
                            weizhangstrobe Level 2

You must have CONFIG::FLASH_10_1 to be true if you want to use http streaming and/or DRM.

I am not sure about trial version of FB4, but here is my configuration to build OSMF.swc

1. The up-to-date version of playerglobal.swc

2. Use flex SDK 4.0

3. Set CONFIG::FLASH_10_1 to be true

4. Adobe Flash Player verison 10.0.1

-Wei Zhang

Senior Computer Scientist

Adobe Systems

weizhang@adobe.com

• 12. Re: Trouble installing OSMFPlayer to stream HTTP dynamically
                              DanM88 Level 1

Thanks Wei,

I was missing the newest playerglobal.swf.

I guess I need to turn this code into a swf file and then replace that with the OSMFPlayer.swf I have on my server. I checked the "Generate accessible swf file" in the properties menu, which I expected to create a swf file when I exported the project, but it didn't. Am I right in trying to create a new swf, and if so, what is teh right way to do it?

And again, its not really clear to me how this will solve my "stream not found" error.

Thanks all,

Dan

• 13. Re: Trouble installing OSMFPlayer to stream HTTP dynamically
                                ScreenName1710b Level 1

You must do the OSMFPlayer build through Flex, and not Flash, as it uses Metadata tags to create a preloader entity.

In Flex/FB4 you'll need to Build the OSMFPlayer project and then look into the "bin" directory to find the recompiled file, obviously if there are "problems" then you'll need to address those, as it will not compile until all critical problems are addressed.

-Will

• 14. Re: Trouble installing OSMFPlayer to stream HTTP dynamically
                                  weizhangstrobe Level 2

Actually, you don't need to check the "Generate accessible swf file" option, at least I did not. When OSMFPlayer is compiled successfully, you need to copy the newly generated OSMFPlayer.swf to your server, provided on the server you already have all the other files, the images folder, scripts folder, and the html file.

Does the "stream not found" error happen during the playback using OSMF Player? If it is, then it is a content issue, which some debugging work is needed. If you want me to take a look at the http streaming "stream not found" issue, please send me the URL to the F4M file.

-Wei Zhang

Adobe Systems

weizhang@adobe.com

• 15. Re: Trouble installing OSMFPlayer to stream HTTP dynamically
                                    DanM88 Level 1

Thanks, Will. I thought that swf was just the original OSMFPlayer.swf, because I renamed my project OSMFPlayer2. Unfortunately, I am still getting the "stream not found" error with this recompiled swf.

Wei, I would really appreciate you looking at the manifest. I posted a thread about it on the HTTP Dynamic Streaming forum, but havent gotten any feedback yet - http://forums.adobe.com/thread/680749?tstart=0  I have the .f4m code posted there since my server's firewall is above my permissions.

The error occurs when I click the eject button on the player and try to enter my manifest file's URL.

Thanks,

Dan

• 16. Re: Trouble installing OSMFPlayer to stream HTTP dynamically
                                      ScreenName1710b Level 1

Then let me apologize for leading you down this path - re-compiling the SWF worked for me, so I thought it might help you.

With how f4m files work, I doubt displaying the manifest will help much, as most of it is encoded.

I'm assuming that you can play the example f4m file that OSMFPlayer points to on it's HTML page?

Are you encountering the same problem with a test Live HTTP streams and  static HTTP (f4m) files?

I also ended up building a brand new OSMF player in Flash that did work, so I'd consider going that route as well for testing -

But again my options might not work for you, and I might just defer to the adobe experts to help you so I don't burn anymore of your time.

-Will

• 17. Re: Trouble installing OSMFPlayer to stream HTTP dynamically
                                        DanM88 Level 1

Please don't apologize. Even if it didn't help with this problem, it will really help me with my next problems .

Yes, every other type of file, and the manifest file provided, work, but I havent tried any live examples.

I will try my hand at adjusting the OSMF Player to better suit my needs now.

Thanks!

Dan

• 18. Re: Trouble installing OSMFPlayer to stream HTTP dynamically
                                          weizhangstrobe Level 2

Hi Dan,

I took a look at the F4M file you posted. It uses relative path for media URLs all over. Therefore, I need you either give me the absolute URLs for each media or point me to the URL where you host the F4M file. Thanks!

-Wei Zhang

Adobe Systems

weizhang@adobe.com

• 19. Re: Trouble installing OSMFPlayer to stream HTTP dynamically
                                            rshin Level 3

Dan,

Since we can't access to your f4m in your server, I'd think that the first thing you can check is if you get any 404 or any other types of via-http error.

If that's the case, it might be the server-content deployment.   If not, it might still be the OSMF player configuration issue.

Ryan

• 20. Re: Trouble installing OSMFPlayer to stream HTTP dynamically
                                              DanM88 Level 1

Hi all,

My apache error-log returns this error when I try to load the manifest file -

[Mon Jul 19 11:06:57 2010] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: /opt/adobe/fms/webroot/vod/sample1_150kbps.flvSeg1-Frag1

I clearly dont have a file named sample1_150kbps.flvSeg1-Frag1, but I do have a .f4m/.f4f/.f4x. Does this error mean anything more to anyone?

Thanks,
                                              Dan

• 21. Re: Trouble installing OSMFPlayer to stream HTTP dynamically
                                                rshin Level 3

It is strange that you are running .flv file.  Usually it should be run by f4m.

Also the first fragment should be File does not exist: /opt/adobe/fms/webroot/vod/sample1_150kbpsSeg1-Frag1, instead of sample1_150kbps.flvSeg1-Frag1 (your file extension included).

Did you try to run .flv manually?

Ryan

• 22. Re: Trouble installing OSMFPlayer to stream HTTP dynamically
                                                  DanM88 Level 1

I am trying to run the manifest file called sample1_1500kbps.f4m in the OSMF Player. I created that manifest file with the following commands to the f4fpackager...

./f4fpackager --input-file="sample1_150kbps.f4v" --bitrate="150"

./f4fpackager --input-file="sample1_500kbps.f4v" --bitrate="500" --manifest-file="sample1_150kbps.f4m"

./f4fpackager --input-file="sample1_700kbps.f4v" --bitrate="700" --manifest-file="sample1_500kbps.f4m"

./f4fpackager --input-file="sample1_1000kbps.f4v" --bitrate="1000" --manifest-file="sample1_70kbps.f4m"

./f4fpackager --input-file="sample1_1500kbps.f4v" --bitrate="1500" --manifest-file="sample1_1000kbps.f4m"

I have no .flv files, just .f4v, but I do have a <medianame>Seg1.f4f and <medianame>Seg1.f4x for each of the 5 bitrates I have.

Thanks,

Dan

• 23. Re: Trouble installing OSMFPlayer to stream HTTP dynamically
                                                    rshin Level 3

Your command to create dynamic streaming looks fine (except sample1_70kbps, assume that is a typo in this post).

Can you post the f4m that you've tried to run here and your f4m url (even if that has no access from outside)?

Also can you try run the first fragment to see if it returns 200?  ( delete f4m and add seg1-frag1 to your f4m url)

Ryan

• 24. Re: Trouble installing OSMFPlayer to stream HTTP dynamically
                                                      DanM88 Level 1

The URL i am giving to the player is http://pascal-iptv/vod/sample1_1500kbps.f4m.

The location of the files on my Linux server is /opt/adobe/fms/webroot/vod/.

Can you please elaborate on how to run the first segment? What exactly do I need to delete and add?

Thanks,

Dan

• 25. Re: Trouble installing OSMFPlayer to stream HTTP dynamically
                                                        rshin Level 3

If the url setting is correct from config file, it should be http://pascal-iptv/vod/sample1_1500kbpsSeg1-Frag1

I can't access to your server, so I can see your f4m or run.

Ryan

• 26. Re: Trouble installing OSMFPlayer to stream HTTP dynamically
                                                          DanM88 Level 1

Which config file are you refering to? This URL still gives me a "Stream not found" error.

Is the packager supposed to make a Seg1-Frag1 file? Am I?

Thanks,

Dan

• 27. Re: Trouble installing OSMFPlayer to stream HTTP dynamically
                                                            rshin Level 3

Dan,

I was refering to Apache config file (httpd).  Yes, the packager is supposed to make the file (may not be visible in your folder).

If that gives Stream not found error, your URL path is not correct.   Not knowing how to set up your apache, or being able to access to your f4m, it is hard to debug it thru.  Does  your Apache config any alias included to point to your f4m folders and enabled HttpStreamingEnabled?

If any f4m plays back fine from the set up, can you post the f4m (copy and paste) that you created anda attempt to play?Just want to see if the f4m format is correct.

Ryan

• 28. Re: Trouble installing OSMFPlayer to stream HTTP dynamically
                                                              DanM88 Level 1

Here are the related tags from my httpd.conf file. The first was there after installing Apache, and I added the other two myself. I'm not sure why there is a "-Indexes", but that is how it came.

<Directory "../webroot">
                                                                  Options -Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
                                                                  AllowOverride None
                                                                  Order allow,deny
                                                                  Allow from all
                                                              </Directory>

Alias /vod/ "/opt/adobe/fms/webroot/vod/"
                                                              <Directory "/opt/adobe/fms/webroot/vod/">
                                                                  Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
                                                                  AllowOverride All
                                                                  Order Allow,deny
                                                                  Allow from all
                                                              </Directory>

<Location /vod>
                                                                  HttpStreamingEnabled true
                                                                  HttpStreamingContentPath "/opt/adobe/fms/webroot/vod/"
                                                              </Location>

I can play the f4m files linked to the OSMFPlayer (http://mediapm.edgesuite.net/osmf/content/test/manifest-files/dynamic_Streaming.f4m,
                                                              http://mediapm.edgesuite.net/osmf/content/test/manifest-files/progressive.f4m) but I don't know what could be wrong with the URL to my manifest file (http://forums.adobe.com/message/2984819#2984819) which I believe you've already looked at.

I used the "ls -al" command, but see no Seg1-Frag1 files in the vod folder.

Thanks,

Dan

• 29. Re: Trouble installing OSMFPlayer to stream HTTP dynamically
                                                                rshin Level 3

Dan,

Seg1-Frag1 is created on the fly while streaming happens.  It can't see the files in your /vod directly.

Your f4m and alias setting looks fine.  Have you just typed the url http://pascal-iptv/vod/sample1_1500kbps.f4m and http://pascal-iptv/vod/sample1_1500kbpsSeg1-Frag1

into your broswer? If it doesn't find it (404 error), it is still either in your server settings or haven't set the url path correctly.  Then see the apach error log file (access.log / error.log and FMS log)  or post it here.

Another thing you might want to try is to explict the port such as 80 or 8134 (http://pascal-iptv:8134)

Ryan

• 30. Re: Trouble installing OSMFPlayer to stream HTTP dynamically
                                                                  DanM88 Level 1

I changed my fms.ini and httpd.conf settings to give Apache port 80. This is described as merely a performance issue, and it causes me to have to specify http://pascal-iptv:8134/ whenever I access the server.This link describes the changes -

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/HTTPStreaming/1.0/Using/WS7b362c044b7dd076-735e76121260080a90e -7fff.html#WS8af793f9af34bea079185b712874092c43-8000.

When I try to access http://pascal-iptv:8134/vod/sample1_1500kbps.f4m, I see the appropriate XML code for the manifest file. I get no log in the Apache error-log, nor the access-log.

When I try to access http://pascal-iptv:8134/vod/sample1_1500kbpsSeg1-Frag1, I get a 404 Not Found error.

The Apache error-log reads...

[Tue Jul 20 10:38:43 2010] [error] [client 161.44.173.105] File does not exist: /opt/adobe/fms/webroot/vod/sample1_1500kbpsSeg1-Frag1

The Apache access-log reads...

161.44.173.105 - - [20/Jul/2010:10:38:43 -0400] "GET /vod/sample1_1500kbpsSeg1-Frag1 HTTP/1.1" 404 310 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.6) Gecko/20100625 Firefox/3.6.6"

When I enter these URLs in the OSMF Player, I get the following error logs and access logs...

.f4m

URL:

http://pascal-iptv:8134/vod/sample1_1500kbps.f4m

ERROR LOG:

[Tue Jul 20 10:30:19 2010] [error] [client 161.44.173.105] File does not exist: /opt/adobe/fms/webroot/vod/sample1_150kbpsSeg1-Frag1

ACCESS LOG:

161.44.173.105 - - [20/Jul/2010:10:30:19 -0400] "GET  /vod/sample1_150kbpsSeg1-Frag1 HTTP/1.1" 404 309 "-" "Mozilla/5.0  (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.6) Gecko/20100625  Firefox/3.6.6"

Seg1-Frag1

URL:

http://pascal-iptv:8134/vod/sample1_1500kbpsSeg1_Frag1

ERROR  LOG:

[Tue Jul 20 10:30:11 2010] [error] [client 161.44.173.105]  File does not exist:  /opt/adobe/fms/webroot/vod/sample1_1500kbpsSeg1-Frag1

ACCESS LOG:

161.44.173.105  - - [20/Jul/2010:10:30:11 -0400] "GET /vod/sample1_1500kbpsSeg1-Frag1  HTTP/1.1" 404 310 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US;  rv:1.9.2.6) Gecko/20100625 Firefox/3.6.6"

*** Notice the difference in the access and error logs, 150kbps when trying the .f4m file versus the 1500kbps with Seg1-Frag1. This is not a typo. Does that give some indication of what its trying to do? ***

I hope there is something there that's useful :\

Thanks,

Dan

• 31. Re: Trouble installing OSMFPlayer to stream HTTP dynamically
                                                                    DanM88 Level 1

So, I reinstalled the File Packager and the HTTP Origin Module. And now I am streaming HTTP dynamically. I'm not sure what happened, but apparently one of them was corrupted or not installed properly. If anyone knows how that could have happened please let me know for my knowledge and anyone else who is looking here. But my issue is solved.

Thanks for all the time and help. I really appreciate it.

Dan